PDA

View Full Version : Salt Away De Throned

MOP
12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SX32M

Initial testing show this to be a much better product and cheaper than Salt Away, well worth looking into.

yeller
12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey MOP, do you have a link to the testing showing it to be better than Salt Away?

Cuda
12-13-2010, 11:40 PM
I always squirted some Dawn dishwashing liquid in the hose. When it quit bubbling, I knew it was flushed all through the engine. I never had a rust problem in 40 years of boating, and 95% of it was in salt water.

Donzigo
12-15-2010, 07:41 PM
....what Cuda said. I use half a cup of Joyh and flush for 10 minutes minimum. Never had problems after 40 years of boating.........damn, that sounds so old.......I never thought I would get this old.

VetteLT193
12-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey MOP, do you have a link to the testing showing it to be better than Salt Away?

+1 on this. It is a vastly different product based on the MSDS and I can't figure how it works (in my head). Salt Away is basically diluted Sulfamic acid. This reacts with the salt and allows it to truly be picked up and rinsed out/off. The PH is slightly acidic @ 6.2.

This Terminator stuff is a base, not an acid at 9.2 PH so I'm trying to figure out what bonds with the salt there.

As far as dish soap I see nothing in any of the major brands of dish soap that will do anything to salt. Using it as a marker like Cuda is saying makes sense, thinking that it will do anything to help with salt in an engine though, or even in washing salt off the boat, is quite simply false.

Anyone who has washed a boat after it was salt crusted, especially a big one, who has used salt away Vs. hand washing with water and soap will tell you that Salt Away works. Period, end of story.

Many people that have used Salt Away and broken down their engines before and after using it report the same results. It works.

The only negative thing that can be said about Salt Away is the price Vs. product. you can buy Sulfamic acid @ Home Depot in the tile section for pennies on the dollar vs. salt away. I won't do that though, because I'm not risking a solution too acidic so I pony up the money on the brand name.

Indyblackhawk
12-18-2010, 05:00 PM
The salt away mixer has a rinse setting wich the other mixers do not. I like using the mixer to wash the boat down with salt away and the rinse setting is real handy. The salt away has an unusual effect on the water were it appears to act like the rinse cycle of an automatic car wash. The water seams to stream line together rather than beading up.

I will try the CRC product and see how it fairs. The packaging appears the same as what is labeled West Marine brand that I just saw during my last visit. I was tempted at the time, but I still have a gallon of Salt Away. I did, however, buy the West Marine mixer because I had just broken another Salt Away mixer. It was about $5 cheaper, but I am not happy with it because it dosn't have a rinse setting (just on and off).

Andy

Cuda
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
+1 on this. It is a vastly different product based on the MSDS and I can't figure how it works (in my head). Salt Away is basically diluted Sulfamic acid. This reacts with the salt and allows it to truly be picked up and rinsed out/off. The PH is slightly acidic @ 6.2.

This Terminator stuff is a base, not an acid at 9.2 PH so I'm trying to figure out what bonds with the salt there.

As far as dish soap I see nothing in any of the major brands of dish soap that will do anything to salt. Using it as a marker like Cuda is saying makes sense, thinking that it will do anything to help with salt in an engine though, or even in washing salt off the boat, is quite simply false.

Anyone who has washed a boat after it was salt crusted, especially a big one, who has used salt away Vs. hand washing with water and soap will tell you that Salt Away works. Period, end of story.

Many people that have used Salt Away and broken down their engines before and after using it report the same results. It works.

The only negative thing that can be said about Salt Away is the price Vs. product. you can buy Sulfamic acid @ Home Depot in the tile section for pennies on the dollar vs. salt away. I won't do that though, because I'm not risking a solution too acidic so I pony up the money on the brand name.
I've used sulfamic acid for years. You can't make it too strong, water will only hold so much in solution and the rest will fall out of solution. I wash my hands with it. I don't know what a name brand sulfamic is, acid is acid. I've bought it from a dozen tile distributors and Home Depot. I probably have five jars in my garage.

As far as cleaing a boat, spray it down with fresh water, which puts the salt in solution and wash it off. Been doing it for 40 years that way.