PDA

View Full Version : Banff, Alberta, Canada...

zelatore
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
So, any of you Northern types familer with the area?

Looks like Michele just booked us for the week between Christmas and New Years at a place a little south of there. We'll fly into Calgary, rent something 4wd, toss in the snow shoes, and go exploring.

Any suggestions for somebody who knows nothing about the area?

yeller
12-12-2010, 11:05 PM
So, any of you Northern types familer with the area?

Looks like Michele just booked us for the week between Christmas and New Years at a place a little south of there. We'll fly into Calgary, rent something 4wd, toss in the snow shoes, and go exploring.

Any suggestions for somebody who knows nothing about the area?
Where are you staying? In Canmore? I've been to Banff a couple times. Some great skiing in the area, but beyond that I can't tell you much about what to do. Except for skiing, the only exploring I did was of the bars. The town of Banff isn't very big. It only takes about 10min to walk the length of the commercial area. I never stopped in Canmore, but I believe it's smaller.

zelatore
12-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Actually, we're staying at a little place called Fairmont Hot Springs. It's maybe 100 miles (?) south of Banff along 93.

Why there? Because it's someplace we could trade our timeshare for last-minute. That's about all I know about the place. I'm trusting Michele on this as she made all the plans. If it was up to me, I'd probably never travel and just spend all the money on boats, bikes, and cars. But I guess I can make this sacrifice for her. :wink:

I figured Banff was about the only place around there people might recognize by name so I used that as my reference. And I'm sure we'll get up there at least once. Heck, we have to drive through there just to get to/from the airport in Calgary.

yeller
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
If you have a vehicle it's worth stopping at Banff...if for nothing else but to say you've been there. Banff is the main tourist location of the area. It is known for their skiing, but they are actually much busier in the summer months.

You're going to be traveling through some pretty high mountains. Not trying to scare you off, but be prepared that if there is heavy snow coming down you might have to stop overnight somewhere. I'd book hotels along the way to be safe and cancel them shortly before your trip if the weather looks ok.

Last time I was at Banff, we drove to Kicking Horse to go skiing (about 90miles from Banff) and got caught in a heavy snowfall. 5mph the entire way and kid you not, we could not see more than 15 feet in front of us. We had to drive without heat because if you heated up the windshield, the snow would hit it, melt, then instantly freeze preventing you from seeing. All along the way we saw 3~4 vehicles off the road, because you couldn't distinquish the road edge and the lead car drove off the road and the rest just followed. Scariest driving experience of my life.

Just check the weather in advance and don't try to drive the whole way if there is heavy snow forecast.

DonziJon
12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
My wife and I came down through Banff..I think it was 1990..it was on the motorcycle. One of our 10,000+ mile cross countrys on the bike. On this leg, we did a big northern loop..originating in Vancouver, ...heading north and east to Kamloops..east to Revelstoke, then to Golden and then to Banff National Park and south to Banff..past Lake Louise. . It was summer.

The scenery was SPECTACULAR on the right, with high precipitous snow capped mountains close aboard as we rode south toward Banff. Makes the Grande Tetons in the US look like...well.........No comparison.

Banff is a very small town. All the downtown stores anounced sales or offers in their front windows..All in Chinese.

Calgary is on the High Plains, and is FLAT..and windy.

Just remembering. :lookaroun: DJ