PDA

View Full Version : Transom steps

Donzi Vol
12-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Well on my never-ending quest to make my 18 freakin awesome, I'm looking for a few add-ons. One of which is a way for my guests and myself to easily get into the boat from the water. I know I know...no need to beat a dead horse about getting in via the drive. I'm fine with it, but I like having other people along, and some aren't so keen on the idea of putting their foot so close to a S/S prop and pushing down.

Now I've borrowed this picture from a thread in the for sale section. Shouldn't be too hard to find the thread if you would like, but if you can't and would like it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Anyway, does anybody know where I could find a pair of these, and are they fairly easy to install?

Thanks in advance,
David

Pismo
12-12-2010, 04:51 PM
The problem with steps or platforms to help get in the boat is that the bottom step in that picture is about at the level of your throat when you are in the water. Find a ladder where the first rung is at the level of your throat and try to climb up it. It is very tough. Nobody seems to appreciate this.

You need something that goes well underwater to really work well. That is why climbing up the drive is so popular.

I wish I had a suggestion. Some type of ladder that is easily removable and storeable that extends well underwater is what is needed.

The steps in that picture are used after people climb up the drive.

Marlin275
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
some aren't so keen on the idea of putting their foot so close to a S/S prop and pushing down.
David

I put the Dol-phins on my outdrive to keep the feet off the prop.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59128&d=1286384742

Donzi Vol
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Pismo, Good point. I didn't really do the math on where the steps would be while in the water. That would be a trick. Hmmm...still thinking... :boggled:

Donzi Vol
12-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I put the Dol-phins on my outdrive to keep the feet off the prop.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59128&d=1286384742

I've seen those before, and have considered them. Does it do anything in the way of altering performance and/or ride? Also, I didn't mention that I'm using a Volvo 270. Just an FYI

Marlin275
12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I've seen those before, and have considered them. Does it do anything in the way of altering performance and/or ride? Also, I didn't mention that I'm using a Volvo 270. Just an FYI

I have a Volvo 270 works fine.

I think it slows the boat about 2-3 mph
It is supposed to help performance in other ways but I could not tell?

Fishermanjm
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
the dive ladders are not a bad option u have a small bracket that bolts on and the ladder slipps into the bracket u can easily get out of the water with that type the steps are on either side of a pole that slips into the bracket

glashole
12-13-2010, 01:25 PM
have you thought about taking an old aluminum step ladder

cut one side off it

cut the legs to match the bottom of the boat for a custom look

screw or bungee cord it to the transom

for a real nice custom look polish the ladder up so it looks chrome :wink:

mc donzi
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Well on my never-ending quest to make my 18 freakin awesome, I'm looking for a few add-ons. One of which is a way for my guests and myself to easily get into the boat from the water. I know I know...no need to beat a dead horse about getting in via the drive. I'm fine with it, but I like having other people along, and some aren't so keen on the idea of putting their foot so close to a S/S prop and pushing down.

Now I've borrowed this picture from a thread in the for sale section. Shouldn't be too hard to find the thread if you would like, but if you can't and would like it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Anyway, does anybody know where I could find a pair of these, and are they fairly easy to install?

Thanks in advance,
David

I was at a car show on the weekend and there was a Model 'A' street rod with a rumble seat. A step very similar to the one in the picture was mounted on the rear valance close to the right rear fender. On the top of the fender was a pad. Left foot on the step, right foot on the pad and left foot into the rumble seat. Voila!!

yeller
12-13-2010, 04:41 PM
You need something that goes well underwater to really work well. That is why climbing up the drive is so popular.
I had looked at the type of ladder pictured below but didn't want to have to mount the bracket on the transom. I thought it would look ugly. I've since seen one on a 22C and in all honesty, the bracket isn't overly noticeable. I may go this route.

Sweet Cheekz
12-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I just saw soemone that had a rope ladder that stowed in a very small bag and I was thinking it was perfect for my 16 Hangs over the side and stow it when done swimming I will see if I can find it if you are interested.

Parnell

Rumblefish
12-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Hate to see you put forever holes in that boat... A friend of mine had an older flat backed cig with no platform. I remember his ladder that he hung of the cleat..

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Step-Ladder-Supports-450/dp/B00199AETI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3GH7O9G66DJQL&s=generic&qid=1292279999&sr=1-1

LeadSledMerc
12-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Hate to see you put forever holes in that boat... A friend of mine had an older flat backed cig with no platform. I remember his ladder that he hung of the cleat..

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Step-Ladder-Supports-450/dp/B00199AETI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3GH7O9G66DJQL&s=generic&qid=1292279999&sr=1-1
That's pretty cool, and looks easy to stow!

Marlin275
12-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Look at these reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Step-Ladder-Supports-450/product-reviews/B00199AETI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dangerous, June 21, 2009
By David Hale (Hudson, Wi) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stearns Step 5 Ladder (Supports 450 Lb) (Sports)
This product doesn't work! The steps will fold under the boat and you will not be able to step up. Don't buy this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars useless piece of junk, September 17, 2008
By James Bongdon (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This ladder is completely useless. It does not work at all under any conditions with any boat. Just an astonishingly bad design that never should have been manufactured. It gets one star only because this form won't submit without one.

The Hedgehog
12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Dude I drove a 16 without a step for years starting as a college student. You just need to provide your women with adequate instructions on how to get in and out of an IO boat. Either that or go out with the appropriate women. :shades: I was driving that boat when I met Christina. I don't recall anyone even asking me about steps.

Donzi Vol
12-15-2010, 07:01 PM
have you thought about taking an old aluminum step ladder

cut one side off it

cut the legs to match the bottom of the boat for a custom look

screw or bungee cord it to the transom

for a real nice custom look polish the ladder up so it looks chrome :wink:

I'm picking up on your sarcasm (and as usual, it's pretty darn funny). Believe me, if I do anything at all, it will be classy. That's why I liked those small steps on the back of the transom. Not very noticeable and the average person wouldn't think much of it.

I just saw soemone that had a rope ladder that stowed in a very small bag and I was thinking it was perfect for my 16 Hangs over the side and stow it when done swimming I will see if I can find it if you are interested.

Parnell

Yeah, that sounds like it's worth looking into. Something that isn't permanent is great, but I just haven't found one that stows easily.

Dude I drove a 16 without a step for years starting as a college student. You just need to provide your women with adequate instructions on how to get in and out of an IO boat. Either that or go out with the appropriate women. :shades: I was driving that boat when I met Christina. I don't recall anyone even asking me about steps.

I know, I know. Just a bit of a PIA to teach/help considering how much I use the boat in the warm months.

zelatore
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
FWIW, rope ladders are nearly useless. She'd be better off climbing the drive.

I think a good option would be a removable dive ladder like yeller showed. I know Armstrong makes a well regarded version and I'm sure there are plenty of others as well. When it's not on the boat, there would only be a small s/s bracket on the transom; you'd hardly notice it.

pipnit
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
There is always this thing

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=EC3849E6-C6F2-4A9A-A15E-E61DB390DE29

pipnit
12-16-2010, 04:29 PM
FYI, what I wound up doing was putting some 3M grip tape on the top of the drive to ensure people wouldn't slip off. Seems to work well.

Donzi Vol
12-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Some really good ideas here. I'll look into all of them a little deeper. I like the 3M idea. Makes sense and is an easy solution to a problem. Good call.

Thanks guys...much appreciated.

Greg Guimond
12-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Isn't there a way to fab something that uses the ski rope eye as the anchor point so you don't need to drill any holes?

Greg Guimond
12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking you take whatever ladder you want and have a V channel formed to match the corner of your boat at whatever angle you prefer. Put a rubber of delrin insert in the channel to protect against scratches. Mount some type of arm that would grab the ski tow eye.

joseph m. hahnl
12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Found these fold up steps:kingme:

http://www.marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page289.html

Greg Guimond
12-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Another option .......

Take the ladder idea and have a "bonnet" made that is matched to the deck corner and cap profile port or starboard side with a hole in it. Penetrate the deck (better than transom) so that a hold down bolt can cinch down the rubber covered bonnet. By using the corner of the boat you now have left and right stability and having a real ladder makes it a lot easier for the ladies to board.

Sorry on the bad drawings!

Planetwarmer
12-28-2010, 08:08 PM
What the hell is wrong with just mounting a crane to the deck and using a cattle sling?

I still like my teak swim platforms (as ugly as they may be).

zelatore
12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
What the hell is wrong with just mounting a crane to the deck and using a cattle sling?

And if she's too proud to let you hoist her aboard with a mere manual lift, I can hook you up with a really cool full hydraulic 6-function davit...

It'll look right at home on the bow, just like a big sport fishing convertible. We'll mount it just ahead of that big azz windshield you're planning and the bimini...:wink:

Donzi Vol
12-29-2010, 12:33 AM
And if she's too proud to let you hoist her aboard with a mere manual lift, I can hook you up with a really cool full hydraulic 6-function davit...

It'll look right at home on the bow, just like a big sport fishing convertible. We'll mount it just ahead of that big azz windshield you're planning and the bimini...:wink:

LOL! Yeah, those are definitely next on the list.

Well as you know, it is a dream/goal to have a boat worthy of a dingy davit, so now I'm a little tempted :wink:

Thanks for the ideas and graphics, Greg. I'm still batting it all around, but will probably try to keep it pretty simple. I might do a combo of the folding transom steps and the 3m tape on the drive. I'll still check into the ladders and hardware, though.