PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Fenrandina Beach?

Donziweasel
12-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone near Fernandina? McGary, isn't that your neck of the woods?

McGary911
12-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Guilty.

It's a little north of me. I'm the orange X on the map, and my office is even closer. Believe it or not, I haven't made it up there since I moved to FL. It's supposed to be very nice up there.

Let me know if you need a hand with something. I'd be happy to help out. If you'd rather email me, my address is my screename at gmail.com.

Donziweasel
12-11-2010, 06:10 PM
My dad has a place there and we are gonna be visiting with the Critter in tow this spring. Was wondering if anyone in the area wanted to run the boats one afternoon. I know, it's early to speak of spring, but it's all I got.... :)

Could be pretty cool getting the two Critters together.... :)

hardcrab
12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Been thru there awhile back. Home of "The Palace" - the oldest still operating drinking establishment in the country.
Founded by pirates I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :beer:

Tidbart
12-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a St. Johns River run in the making??? I am in.

B

Cuda
12-12-2010, 09:22 AM

B
It's north of the St John's, almost in Georgia. I had a gilfriend who vacationed there every year. She bought a condo there.

Donziweasel
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Sweet!! A nice pre-AOTH run. We will be there in early May.....

McGary911
12-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Very cool. Not sure if I'll have the Crit' ready by then, depending on how early in spring. Get in touch when you're closer to the visit. I'd love to see the boat. Believe it or not, mine is the only Crit' I've ever seen.

The St. John's river is a great place to run.

Mark Lazlo (sp?), Last Tango on the board, has a beautiful 22zx, and knows every in and out of the river. Maybe he'd be up for a run. He's pretty close by.

Cuda
12-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Last Tango keeps his boat in HI&Dry at Julian Creek near Orange Park.

VetteLT193
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM

B

I'll go too if I can. My Springtime schedule is contingent on work though, so it depends on dates.

Cuda
12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
There is a river between Georgia and Florida. I think Ft Clinch is on it. It's quite a ways to the St John's, only by land or ocean.

Phil S
12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
And there ya have it.......we'll all meet......there !

Donziweasel
12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Looks like about 22 miles from Fernandina to the St. Johns River. Looking foward to it. :)

Cuda
12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Looks like about 22 miles from Fernandina to the St. Johns River. Looking foward to it. :)
Maybe to Mayport which is more like a bay. The Navy has a base at Mayport that aircraft carriers can dock. The river is so wide there, there are no bridges across it. There is a ferry. We did a McDonalds on base a few years ago.

Last Tango
12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
If you are launching the boat in downtown Fernandina at the city marina (nicely refurbished recently), you are already on the St. Mary's River and also the Intracoastal Waterway, and a very short distance from the ocean. You can come south to the St. Johns River by either going "outside" (the Atlantic Ocean) or "inside" (ICW). Either way is entertaining.

If we are talking about a gathering, then we have many opportunities as to where to boat and what to see. The choices are endless and exciting.

Give us some specific start and finish dates, I'll check the local calendars for major events to do or avoid (LOL!). and I'll follow up with everyone if we want to make an event of it.

Depending on the dates, you have everything from gunkholing to an all out Florida Powerboat Club Spring Poker Run.

Cuda
12-14-2010, 09:45 AM
The Jacksonville Poker Run was the most fun I've been to. It was near Riverwalk in Jax, in the shadow of the football field.
The first McDonalds I ever did up that way was at Julian Creek. You cross the Buckman Bridge and you are in Orange Park where I did a lot of work.

Donziweasel
12-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Mark,
Here is what we have planned. We are leaving around the end of April in the RV with Critter in tow. Going back east for 3 weeks and then heading home while hitting AOTH on the way back. Like I said, my father has a condo in Fernandina and since we will have the Critter, I was just wondering if anyone in the area would like to get together for a run one afternnoon. Not really looking for anything organized, would just like to get together with some Donzi members and have a fun day or afternoon on the water.

It seems everyone I have spoken to says you know the area and waterways better than anyone. If you are available, we would love to hook up and have a day out. Looks like we have McGary possibly, Phil S, VetteLT interested. Never met any of you guys and would really like to hook up. Should be around the 2 week of May and I will have some firm dates soon. I will have a seat or two in the Critter if anyone needs a ride. If Boo Boo and the twins don't join us, I will have the whole boat open.

Thanks!!!!! John, Boo Boo and the twins......

cimm
12-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Guys,
I know I am new to this board and havn't really contributed or met any of you yet but I would be interested too! I would like to meet some of you guys and see your boats. I am in dry storage on the Ortega River (off the St. Johns) just a few miles from downtown Jax.
Chuck
1983 22C

VetteLT193
12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
May looks good for me after the 6th.

I think AOTH will be the 20th-21st, so tentatively we would be looking to to a Jax/st. johns/wherever run on Saturday, the 14th of May?

I wouldn't mind following / using the Jax river poker run route or some variation. there are a couple places to eat on that route and it looks like a reasonable run.

I went over there early this year for a Jimmy Buffett concert and stayed at the Hyatt. It is right on the river and there is a nice place next door, walking distance, that has places to eat/drink.

let me know what everyone thinks about time, location, etc. if we at least half pin something down it will be much easier to plan for it.

DonziWeasel: I'm not sure on your route, but if you need a spot to crash you can stop off at my place in Tallahassee. I'm just off the highway (I-10). I don't have a 30Amp hookup but my regular outlet works well when my Wife's Grandparents plug in their RV.

Donziweasel
12-14-2010, 02:31 PM
DonziWeasel: I'm not sure on your route, but if you need a spot to crash you can stop off at my place in Tallahassee. I'm just off the highway (I-10). I don't have a 30Amp hookup but my regular outlet works well when my Wife's Grandparents plug in their RV.

Thanks!! We are making a run from Mobile, AL to Fernandina. It is a long runa and a break might be just what the doctor ordered.

I know I am new to this board and havn't really contributed or met any of you yet but I would be interested too! I would like to meet some of you guys and see your boats. I am in dry storage on the Ortega River (off the St. Johns) just a few miles from downtown Jax.

Chuck, the more the merrier. A few years ago I had only met one person in the Donzi community, a guy named Don Tamm who doesn't really hang out here anymore. My wife and I decided in November to go and visit Lenny in Victoria, British Columbia. We planned to go out for an afternoon of boating. Next thing I knew, 7 boats showed up and I got to be friends with Lenny, Jeremy (fogducker) and Mark (Titan). Great time and had a blast with those guys. I consider all of them freinds. Love to have ya join us.

Thanks everyone. Look forward to meeting all of ya..... :)

VetteLT193
12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks!! We are making a run from Mobile, AL to Fernandina. It is a long runa and a break might be just what the doctor ordered.
Chuck, the more the merrier. A few years ago I had only met one person in the Donzi community, a guy named Don Tamm who doesn't really hang out here anymore. My wife and I decided in November to go and visit Lenny in Victoria, British Columbia. We planned to go out for an afternoon of boating. Next thing I knew, 7 boats showed up and I got to be friends with Lenny, Jeremy (fogducker) and Mark (Titan). Great time and had a blast with those guys. I consider all of them freinds. Love to have ya join us.
Thanks everyone. Look forward to meeting all of ya..... :)

I'm roughly in the middle, about 250 miles away from Mobile and 200 from Fernandina.

And I second your more the merrier comment. I have only made it to 3 runs so far. If you manage to make it to one, you'll know someone on every run after that and meet a whole bunch new people each time. It's a wandering Donzi cult.

Last Tango
12-14-2010, 03:21 PM
FYI to all:

http://www.islandart.org/shrimp_festival.htm

http://www.shrimpfestival.com/index-web.html

Donziweasel
12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Looks like fun Mark, but I think we are going to be there the 2nd week in May. Then to Atlanta, then to Tennessee to meet up with Tex and Hedgehog, then off to AOTH........ :)

Last Tango
12-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Looks like fun Mark, but I think we are going to be there the 2nd week in May. Then to Atlanta, then to Tennessee to meet up with Tex and Hedgehog, then off to AOTH........ :)

Actually, my FYI was encouragement NOT to plan a Donzi gathering on that specific weekend in Fernandina. LOL!

However, I am personally very flexible as to my schedule the first couple weeks in May. I would be pleased to join you in your Crit, with or without Boo Boo and the twins. I would enjoy navigating and providing tour guide duties. The weather the first couple weeks of May is usually warm and dry.

Cuda
12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
As Jimmy Buffett says: The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful. :)

sweet 16 1966
12-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I have a driveway to park a boat at in Lawrenceville Ga. - 35 miles NE of Atl off I-85, So let me know when you will be in Atl. if we can run Lanier. ! I can also plan a St John Run given time to plan dates. There may be some sleepers out there that can be awaken! We would love to run st Johns. Hey- stay at one of those colorful Palatka launch location/motel locations.

Last Tango
12-15-2010, 07:47 AM
I can also plan a St John Run given time to plan dates. There may be some sleepers out there that can be awaken! We would love to run st Johns. Hey- stay at one of those colorful Palatka launch location/motel locations.

I just did a very cursory websearch for Porkey's Landing and found that the property is for sale. $4,000,000 :shocking: Even removing 3 zero's and a comma it would be overpriced.

Those of you who are SEADOG's (SouthEast Area Donzi Owners Group) will recall that is the original Official SEADOG's Clubhouse. I guess I'll have to go down and check it out and see if they are still in business. If not then the two back-up clubhouses will have to be re-explored (Blair's Jungle Den, and the Palatka hotel fka the Holiday Inn). And maybe we can revive Ted enough to eat another "Wild Hog Burger" just for old times sake.

Cuda
12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I (Blair's Jungle Den, and the Palatka hotel fka the Holiday Inn). And maybe we can revive Ted enough to eat another "Wild Hog Burger" just for old times sake.
Blairs has been closed since 2004 after the hurricanes. The motel is open I think.
The Holiday Inn has changed hands a few times. It was a Quality Inn the last time I was there.

Cuda
12-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a driveway to park a boat at in Lawrenceville Ga. - 35 miles NE of Atl off I-85, So let me know when you will be in Atl. if we can run Lanier. ! I can also plan a St John Run given time to plan dates. There may be some sleepers out there that can be awaken! We would love to run st Johns. Hey- stay at one of those colorful Palatka launch location/motel locations.
From Palatka, you can run down Black's Creek to Crescent Lake. It's a beautiful run.

Last Tango
12-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Actually it is Dunn's Creek. Black Creek is up here just south of Orange Park.
But a rose by any other name... is still a great run. :wink: It has the twistiest run of anything the Donzi groups have done together (although I never did get into the water when we went to Crystal River a few years back - that one may be twistier). Runner up for me would be the entry channel to the hotel at Lake Eufala/Lake George (name depends on the side of the river/lake you are on at the time).

Cuda
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Your right Mark, it's Dunn's Creek. When we ran it, the water was down and we touched bottom a couple times. It's one of the most scenic runs in Florida, and I've been all over the state where there is a coastline.

Chrystal River runs into the Homossassa River. I stayed on the Homossassa several time at Duncan McCreas' Fishcamp. There was a restaurant at the mouth of the rive called the Crow's Nest. It was owned by Crumps Restaurant right across the river from McCreas. It's closed now.

Donziweasel
12-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it. My folks live in Buckhead and I was wondering what the hell I was going to do with a 27 ft RV with Criterion in tow. As for the run, would like to meet ya!!! Thanks again for the offer...... :)