PDA

View Full Version : My first fiberglass repair

Petee390
12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
My floor hatch was in need of some repair so I cut it apart. I need to replace the plywood and reglass it in. I am not sure what materials to use. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Scott

gcarter
12-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm glad you cut off the bottom skin!
You can start by cleaning all the old ply out of the opening.
Maybe you want to use some PVC board instead of more plywood. You can get the PVC board at a sign company.
Cut the new core piece to fit as close to the cavity as you can.
Next, bond the new piece of PVC board (or whatever you use) w/some epoxy. Then, from the top side, use some screws (try #6, or #8) and fender washers along with some melamine paneling, shiny side down, to hold the new core piece in place until it sets. The melamine won't stick to any epoxy that may come through the screw holes, and the melamine paneling will hold everything flat. You can through bolt it if you want, or use self tapping screws and screw into the core. They'll be removed after it's all set up.
Maybe the next day, you can glass the bottom side. I reccomend some 1708 bi-directional stitchmat from Merton's;
http://www.mertons.com/Reinforcements/double_stitch.html
Since it's the bottom, how it looks isn't too important.
It'll be good practice.
Fill the screw holes on the top w/some polyester putty. Everything you need is available from Mertons.
Good luck.

Petee390
12-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks G, What epoxy do you recommend for this application?

mrfixxall
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
axe the screws,Georges way is good but you have access to the clamping area and is not needed,use 2 pieces of 4x4's and mix up some vinyl ester resin and some aerosil cabosil and make a glue paste out of it,grind it real good and lay on the paste,put the 4x4 over the new wood then clamp it with cc-clamps,wipe off the access material and let it kick off..make sure you round off the top side of the board first so when you lay the glass on it can form to the wood and look nice and smooth..

gcarter
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Just goes to show there's a bunch of ways to do it.

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks G, What epoxy do you recommend for this application? Hey guy us composites offers there epoxy and hardner all in one at a great price which is there #635 and if you decide to go with there Epoxy you just might want to consider purchasing your fabric from them http://uscomposites.com/epoxy.html I , can also recomend other Epoxies that offer a wide range of pot life which means more work time from 30 to 165 minutes and once again www.uscomposites.com (http://www.uscomposites.com) offers great prices .

gcarter
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
US Composites is in Florida in the Palm Beach area, while Mertons is in CT, almost in your backyard.
Both have good prices, but shipping can be almost as much as products these days.

Carl C
12-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Not that we don't have several good glass guys here but this site is lucky to have George Carter's expertise available.......:cool:

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Scott , i did not know Merton's was almost in your back yard and George , the reason i recomended US Composites is because there prices on Epoxy are alot cheaper then Merton's & for example Mertons's 2 gallon kit with hardner is $213.00 and there 1 gallon kit with hardner is $118.00 compaired to US Composites which for example is $128.00 for there 2 gallon kit with hardner and there 1 gallon kit with hardner is only $69.00 and in the long run it still might be cheaper even after shipping and handling . Scott , non the less i use a higher priced epoxy that Skater uses which is shell and another epoxy made by Plasco in Remo Mich and both Metron's and US Composites offer good prices on materials for those who are budget minded.

gcarter
12-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Scott , i did not know Merton's was almost in your back yard and George , the reason i recomended US Composites is because there prices on Epoxy are alot cheaper then Merton's & for example Mertons's 2 gallon kit with hardner is $213.00 and there 1 gallon kit with hardner is $118.00 compaired to US Composites which for example is $128.00 for there 2 gallon kit with hardner and there 1 gallon kit with hardner is only $69.00 and in the long run it still might be cheaper even after shipping and handling . Scott , non the less i use a higher priced epoxy that Skater uses which is shell and another epoxy made by Plasco in Remo Mich and both Metron's and US Composites offer good prices on materials for those who are budget minded.

You are correct Artie, it pays to shop smart.
I did buy my last gallon of vinylester resin from US Composites.
Also they are the very best source for 4# pour in place foam for mounting fuel tanks.