PDA

View Full Version : 88 Z-33 fuel tank question

jetnjester
12-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I am considering a purchase of one.... do they have aluminum or fiberglass? Any help is appreciated.

gcarter
12-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Aluminum, and it'll likely have to be addressed.
Donzigo has one of the nicest in existance.
He changed his some years ago.
Any questions, he can answer them.

jetnjester
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the quick response. This deal is 90% going through. The guy has changed out the engines to 502's not long ago - the interior looks (from pictures) good and the cockpit looks great. The hull is spotless as it was a fresh water boat. The bravo one's look a little crusty though.

Donzigo
12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
.....and has the fuel tank ever been replaced?

Nice looking boat!

Richard

jetnjester
12-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Not that I know of. My concern if it has fiberglass tanks, but if it's aluminum then I and not so concerned. Did these come from the factory with al tanks?

gcarter
12-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes, and they don't last forever the way they were installed.

joseph m. hahnl
12-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the quick response. This deal is 90% going through. The guy has changed out the engines to 502's not long ago - the interior looks (from pictures) good and the cockpit looks great. The hull is spotless as it was a fresh water boat. The bravo one's look a little crusty though.

Yes, and they don't last forever the way they were installed.:boggled::bonk:

Very doubtful! the tank needs replacing being a fresh water boat

jetnjester
12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I am settting up a survey next week. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it comes back ok. I have s good idea that it was kept in the lake during the summers and then in his garage during the winters. I worry about the transom with it being in the water all the time.

jetnjester
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
What would a tank go for if it needed one? How bad are they to be replaced?

Donzigo
12-15-2010, 06:53 PM
JTR in Gulfport, Florida will make you one. The original was 200 gal and I had it changed to 140 gal (the size of one piece of aluminium) and the price was $900.

Well George, here we have yet another person who says they don't think a boat of this vintage needs a new fuel tank. Oh - contrare - the damage is on the BOTTOM and a surveyor can't see that and unless it has been stored inside for it's entire life, would nlot I trust a fuel tank this old. The tanks during that time were also extremely thin -- so do your self a favor and do not take anyone you care about to blue water without a new tank.

Richard