PDA

View Full Version : Flying Tomato is Back!

flying tomato
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
The new motor is in and running. Feels really good. Sounds good. However, upon inspection of the plugs, it looks to be running lean. (white plugs)

Any recommendations on jets for the BG850 annular carb. Motor is a short 540 that should be making around 625 hp.

mrfixxall
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
i would go 88 primary and 94 on the secondarys for starters..run it fat and take out or add if needed...to be honest,this time around have it dynoed to make sure the Air fuel is correct..the money spent will be worth it in the long run..

If it were me it would have a dominator on it..

gcarter
12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
And I'd put closed cooling on it.
If you're interested, I can give you some sources.
If you're not,......

mrfixxall
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
looking at the engine,,,get rid of that pos fuel filter and non uscg fuel hose.you will need to upgrade the fuel system to fuel that monster..go to a 1/2 '' fuel line from the tank back or you may end up @ square one again..

BUIZILLA
12-08-2010, 06:45 PM
if you have a secondary PV, i'd go 88's all around..

+1 on the 1/2" line comment

The Hedgehog
12-08-2010, 08:50 PM
looking at the engine,,,get rid of that pos fuel filter and non uscg fuel hose.you will need to upgrade the fuel system to fuel that monster..go to a 1/2 '' fuel line from the tank back or you may end up @ square one again..

+2. Many a good engine has been screwed up from fuel delivery.

Team Jefe
12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
OK, dude...whatever they said, just make sure you shake it down BEFORE we go out.....I'm tired of being blamed on FT's breakage issues:lookaroun:

flying tomato
12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
I took the NOS off the boat. I havent really tweeked the set up yet, but it feels like it is going to run just as fast as the old motor with the juice!!

Jeff,
I was not ever blaming you. Just a fluke.

flying tomato
12-29-2010, 01:37 PM
After installing 94 jets in the secondaries of my bg 850:

Big lag at the point where the secs kick in, and eng sounds lean (loud). Didn't want to turn over 5k

Test 2:went to97s in sec. Still big lag, still sounded lean and Rpms up to5200.

It feels like it is not getting enough fuel. Carb has no pv in secs. Is it possible to in stall a pv. Or do you have to change out more parts for a pv?????

Confused

flying tomato
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Fuel supply has been upgraded to 1/2 inch everything

BUIZILLA
12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
97's is huge...

never seen anybody run an 850 like that

what boosters do you have?

MOP
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
+1!! You need to prop it down to 5k and play with the jets, it may not be able to swallow that much fuel.

mrfixxall
12-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Are you reading your fuel pressure while @ 5200 rpm's? The lag when sticking it in the secondaries,, what size squirter are you running? does the carb have annular boosters? and what cc in the secondary accelerator pump? i like to use jet extensions in the secondaries and notched floats.

you can add a power valve but you will have to drop 6-10 jet sizes,also the ports in the metering block will only flow so much fuel through the 2 little holes behind power valve and may need to be drilled out to allow more fuel to go through the card into the engine..

Back the timing down to 34*,that will give you more rpm in the big end..Get your timing set rite then start jetting..

flying tomato
12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Carb has Annular boosters
Timing always at 34
Carb is vac sec which has no accelerator pump
There is no threaded hole where pv goes

Note: this carb has been ran on the 489 for 2 seasons and performed well with NO jets in secs

Ft

mrfixxall
12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Carb has Annular boosters
Timing always at 34
Carb is vac sec which has no accelerator pump
There is no threaded hole where pv goes

Note: this carb has been ran on the 489 for 2 seasons and performed well with NO jets in secs

Ft

Get rid of the carb and get a mechanical secondary carb..i can go on and on about adjustments but i will never use a vacuum secondary carburetor..

call thease guys http://www.candsspecialties.com/store/html/aerosolbillets2.html

inquire about the 0541000 ,give them your specs,bolt it on and go boating..with this carburetor its like having a FI motor,,throttle response is unbelievable..