PDA

View Full Version : 1983 22 Classic

cimm
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi guys! I am new to this forum and just purchased a 1983 22 Classic. This boat has 130 original hours and original Volvo power. Could this 22 be a time capsule? I have looked for other 22's from the early 80's and have yet to find one this old, and any vintage year with this few hours (130). At this point, I am not even sure if this boat is a 22C. It has a flush mounted black pop-up docking light at the very tip of the bow. Do you think this is a rare boat and could it possibly have an increased value because of its age and hours? Are you aware of any earlier or 1983 22C's? It is a one owner boat and has hung in the same dock for 27 years. Approximately 75% of its hours were from the single mechanic that has looked after this boat since it's purchase in 1983. This boat also has a hose fitting on the transom that allows you to run the motor while it is hanging in the dock, was this a Donzi Option?
Thanks for all your help on this one!

BUIZILLA
12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
a hull ID number would be a big help in identification

Donziweasel
12-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Is this your boat?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1983-DONZI-22-97028652

Welcome to the board.

cimm
12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Donziweasel,
Yes that is my boat. Any help or info about this vessel would be appreciated.
The Hull # is DMR220650783

cimm
12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
There are more pictures here
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Donzi-22-2230813/Jacksonville/FL/United-States

BlakeSullivan
12-08-2010, 08:35 AM
What a great find very nice!

zelatore
12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow, now that is a clean blige/engine. I can believe it when you say it's only got 100-odd hours.

LKSD
12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
It was good talking with you the other day Hope our discussion helped you.... Good to see you were able to work out a deal on the boat.. :) Jamie

BTW, yes that appears to be a proper Donzi Hin# and it is not uncommon to see some of these boats with a stern mounted flush attachment... :)

Tony
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Looks like the hullsides may need to be "de-oxidized"...unless it is just the pictures not showing the true colors.

cimm
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks like the hullsides may need to be "de-oxidized"...unless it is just the pictures not showing the true colors.

Tony, yes you are correct. There is some light chalking on the hullsides. I don't know if this is blue paint or gelcoat. Any ideas on how to remove the chalk and restore the shine?

cimm
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
It was good talking with you the other day Hope our discussion helped you.... Good to see you were able to work out a deal on the boat.. :) Jamie

BTW, yes that appears to be a proper Donzi Hin# and it is not uncommon to see some of these boats with a stern mounted flush attachment... :)

Jamie it was a pleasure talking to you also. Thank you for all the advice! I will probably need more. I will be taking an extensive look at the boat tis weekend and will probably find some things I have questions about.

LKSD
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Jamie it was a pleasure talking to you also. Thank you for all the advice! I will probably need more. I will be taking an extensive look at the boat tis weekend and will probably find some things I have questions about.

No problem, I'm here if ya need me.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Tidbart
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard. Clean it up and bring it to Tavares in March for the our Donzi lunch run. Keep you eyes on the Events section for news.

Make good use of the Search button at the top of the page. There is over 10 years of questions and answers on just about anything you can think about relating to your boat. For instance, try 'Sanding' or 'Polish'. This will get you started with bring back the shine.

You may want to invest in a decent polisher like the Makita 9227C or something similar. There are lots of different chemicals you can try such as 3M, Leverage, Aquabuff,......... If they don't work well you can go to wet sanding and then back to buffing and polishing.

Anyways, good luck with your new purchase and hope to see you at an event.

If you need a trailer and need a contact, let me know.

Bob

superhatz
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Great boat!!...keep it all original...please.

:stan:

cimm
12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Jamie Thanks again!

Bob, I appreciate the warm welcome and the advice on cleaning up the hullsides. I have been searching all over this sight and have found a wealth of information here. You and the other members appear to have extensive information about the Donzi's and their history. I am still trying to find an info or pictures on the 1984, 1983, 1982 or 1981 22 Classics or 22 2+3's, I have yet to find anything. I may be also be interested in a trailer are you a dealer?

Superhatz, I do plan on keeping it original. I am going to put a good coat of wax on her clean her up this weekend and try to not make any modifications to the vessel as long as I own it. I think the pop-up docking light is a really cool option!

MOP
12-08-2010, 06:00 PM
cimm and I went back and forth with PM's, I was able to answer some things but was stymied by the setup. Was hoping one of the old timers would chime in, this may be a one of a kind. Looks like a little rubbing compound and wax will bring the jewel out! Best of luck with it, though it may be in better condition then many others.

Phil

cimm
12-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, Thanks again Phil for all you info! I am stumped on this boat also...port side drive, pop-up docking light, Volvo 290, brochure page that calls it a 22 2+3 (this page also shows a picture of a 22 footer without a windshield and RH Drive), factory dual batteries and dual battery switch flush mounted to the back seat......You guys think this is a 22 Classic??
Or is it something else? ie. 22 2+3

superhatz
12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Yep...22 2+3....22 Classic...same diff. The left hand steer is consistent with the Volvo drive....MerCruiser would be right hand.

Windshield was an option...most had it.

Very cool boat.

:pizza:

Donzi Vol
12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
First one I've seen set up like that...and I dig it. Reminds me of a GT 21 with the padding wrapped around the interior paired with the Volvo drive. Very cool. Kudos and welcome aboard!

David

cimm
12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Superhatz- Thanks for the clarification!

DonziVol- I appreciate the welcome. I DIG IT too! I bought this boat from a broker and last nite I was able to talk to the original owner for the first time. He told me that in 1982 his brother owned a 18 2+3 and he really liked it but wanted a larger boat. He went down to Donzi in Lauderdale Lakes to look at the new boats and he saw this 22. It was ordered by a gentleman in NY but the order had been cancelled. The boat was not yet complete. He proceeded to place an order on this boat and specified the below options. The boat was delivered (by Donzi) on a trailer in August of 1983 to Lambs Yacht Center (on the Ortega River) in Jacksonville Florida.
-Docking Light
-upholstered coaminig
-am/fm stero cassette
-dual batteries and flush mount locking switch
-Donzi Logo Delete ( he said that they had a real problem with this one but they did it begrudgingly)

I am going to meet up with this gentleman within the next few weeks and he has promised to give me all the original documents. Including the original build sheet, the original purchase order, the brochure/manual, a very nice vintage slalom ski and any other original documents he has. He seemed to be a real nice guy and was happy that the boat was staying here locally and going to a good home. He also said that over the years he has had numerous people look up his FL Registration and call him and send him letters asking if he was willing to sell the boat. He said his answer always was- Its not for sale nor will it ever be!

I Thought this was an interesting story.

Sweet little 16
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
great find , very unique boat, have seen the padded coaming before but the volvo setup from that era is very unique especially when merc was the performance choice of the day.

some info , the 290 refers to the model engine not the drive (which is a 280T) the model was a chevy based small block that produced 290 hp available 1979-1985

this might help

http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENTA/GLOBAL/EN-GB/MARINE_LEISURE_ENGINES/OUT_OF_PRODUCTION_ENGINES/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

Tidbart
12-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Bob, I appreciate the warm welcome and the advice on cleaning up the hullsides. I have been searching all over this sight and have found a wealth of information here. You and the other members appear to have extensive information about the Donzi's and their history. I am still trying to find an info or pictures on the 1984, 1983, 1982 or 1981 22 Classics or 22 2+3's, I have yet to find anything. I may be also be interested in a trailer are you a dealer?

No, not a dealer, but willing to help out any way I can. I had mine built by a company down in the Ft. Lauderdale are. The owner is a friend of Buizilla and they did a great job on mine.

B

HOWARD O
12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Here's what you want your sides to look like! I missed this thread and posted the same photos on the "other" site. :kingme:

To be honest, that was a quick buff job, they are back to chalk again. :boggled: Really needs a serious wetsanding to get it to last.

Anyway, mine's an '82 and I bought it a couple years ago from a member here by the name of Cuda. It has white interior, stbd steering and a Merc TRS 330 package. Otherwise, identical to yours!

Yours is a beauty and probably pretty rare with the Volvo setup. Congrats! I love mine!

Welcome to the site! I'm sure we'll all have plenty to talk about!

Howard

Donziweasel
12-09-2010, 07:23 PM
I posted that boat in the for sale section quite a while ago. Both Buizilla and I thought it was very cool with a lot of potential. Shares some features with the Critter. The interior is similar to Jim's. Bet it and the engine are original.

Very cool boat. Glad to see you on here. One of the early 22's for sure. Once agian, welcome to the board. :)

You will meet some really cool people here and you should try and make an event. You will also more than likely be parting with some money in the future. It's amazing how owning a Donzi can reduce your bank account....... :)

But it is worth it.........

cimm
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Here's what you want your sides to look like! I missed this thread and posted the same photos on the "other" site. :kingme:

To be honest, that was a quick buff job, they are back to chalk again. :boggled: Really needs a serious wetsanding to get it to last.

Anyway, mine's an '82 and I bought it a couple years ago from a member here by the name of Cuda. It has white interior, stbd steering and a Merc TRS 330 package. Otherwise, identical to yours!

Yours is a beauty and probably pretty rare with the Volvo setup. Congrats! I love mine!

Welcome to the site! I'm sure we'll all have plenty to talk about!

Howard

Howard your boat looks outstanding! I will be out this weekend buffing the hullsides on mine. I did notice that your boat has 3 aluminum pieces that hold the windscreen together. Was that something that was added later? Mine only has two one on the starboard and one on the port side of the windscreen. What kind of speed do you get with the 330? I would love to see some interior pictures of your boat. Thanks for the compliments and the welcome.
Chuck

cimm
12-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I posted that boat in the for sale section quite a while ago. Both Buizilla and I thought it was very cool with a lot of potential. Shares some features with the Critter. The interior is similar to Jim's. Bet it and the engine are original.

Very cool boat. Glad to see you on here. One of the early 22's for sure. Once agian, welcome to the board. :)

You will meet some really cool people here and you should try and make an event. You will also more than likely be parting with some money in the future. It's amazing how owning a Donzi can reduce your bank account....... :)

But it is worth it.........

Donzi Weasel I actually read your thread before I purchased the boat. I tried to do as much due diligence as possible before the purchase. I did have real problems finding another one that was setup like this one anywhere on the web. Still really havn't found a sistership.

The interior is original (and in what I would call excellent shape, no cracks or tears and very pliable) and so is the motor. I had a lengthy conversation with the on site mechanic at Lambs Yacht Center (this is where the boat has hung since 1983) about this boat. He was there when it was delivered and had a standing order since 1883 to run the boat on the hose monthly. He is now the Chief Mechanic at Lambs and has cared for this vessel since delivery. The owner was billed for one hour each month. He said he didn't run it for the full hour but he would check the boat over each month, belts, hoses, clean etc so that the owner wasn't paying for a full hour and only getting 10-20 minutes of run time. He believes that he put at least 75% of the 130 Original hours on this boat, while it was hanging in the dock. I don't know if this is good or bad for the motor but I guess I will soon find out. I think I like the story of the boat as much as I like the boat itself!

As you suggested I will start parting with some of that money this weekend just buffing and polishing. I am sure there will be much more to follow.

I have already met some very cool people here and look forward to meeting more. I do hope to make it to one of the future events and hope to meet many of you there. I will also try and post some pictures of the boat after this weekend!
Cheers,
Chuck

cimm
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
great find , very unique boat, have seen the padded coaming before but the volvo setup from that era is very unique especially when merc was the performance choice of the day.

some info , the 290 refers to the model engine not the drive (which is a 280T) the model was a chevy based small block that produced 290 hp available 1979-1985

this might help

http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENTA/GLOBAL/EN-GB/MARINE_LEISURE_ENGINES/OUT_OF_PRODUCTION_ENGINES/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

Sweet Little 16 thank you for the link. This is the first time I have ever owned a vessel with a Volvo Drive. I will be digging into lots of the info on this board and appreciate any and all help. You guys have been great!

cimm
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
No, not a dealer, but willing to help out any way I can. I had mine built by a company down in the Ft. Lauderdale are. The owner is a friend of Buizilla and they did a great job on mine.

B
Tidbart I will keep this in mind. I may get a trailer this spring but for now she will sit in dry storage on the Ortega River.

HOWARD O
12-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Howard your boat looks outstanding! I will be out this weekend buffing the hullsides on mine. I did notice that your boat has 3 aluminum pieces that hold the windscreen together. Was that something that was added later? Mine only has two one on the starboard and one on the port side of the windscreen. What kind of speed do you get with the 330? I would love to see some interior pictures of your boat. Thanks for the compliments and the welcome.
Chuck

Chuck,

As far as I can tell, the windshield and everything about it is original. But keep in mind, they went through quite a few variations of the windshield on this model, especially in the early years. I can get a touch over 60 mph.

Also, mine didn't have the trim tabs when I got it. But it did at one time and I believe it came with them originally. I put a set back on not longer after I got the boat. It didn't really need them and I wouldn't have actually bought a set, but I happened to have them handy.

I DO NOT have dual batteries nor a pop up light!

Rodger
12-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Mine only has two one on the starboard and one on the port side of the windscreen. Chuck
Your windshield is identical to the one on my 78 F22 with the exception of where the side pieces meet the deck because of the raised deck at the engine area the F22 has. 1978 is the first year for 22's including that style windshield although it was an option. I know the original owner of my 22 and remember the day he bought it.