PDA

View Full Version : New Dash/Shifter Project

rickmb
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Dash is based on the 009. Labels were added for captains choice exhaust and hatch lift. Shifter is in the process of being made at Dana and will be charcoal metallic in color. The steering wheel has not been decided on but looking at the Isotta Carlotta with black leather. Any other ideas?
UPDATED: Dash is finished, Shifter is in, on to the next project

gcarter
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Looks good!

I'm in the process of doing that myself.
You'll probably get there first though.

ITTLFLI
12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Very nice! Did your source the dash plate through Donzi direct?

Offset
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Nice update. I know my 94 looks a little dated in the dash area. Was there much rewiring involved? I like the carbon fiber look with the white gauges.

Looking good.

Murray Adam

GBond
12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Very nice! Did your source the dash plate through Donzi direct?

Good question... Was it local manufactured or purchased from a vendor?

Looks great!

Thanks

VetteLT193
12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I like the Carlotta too. but this one would match the carbon...

http://www.monstermarinestore.com/productdetail.cfm?productid=632&incat=20

also, you can get the carlotta in a carbon fiber material

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14399-13-34-isotta-carlotta-silver-carbon-fiber-steering-wheel.aspx

And... don't be fooled by what the marine stores tend to carry. check out Isotta's catalog for the full line. They have a lot more colors and selection than you could imagine. For example: They have the carlotta in Tan, which hardly anyone carries, but would match my boat perfectly... I found it at only one store so far...

rickmb
12-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Did your source the dash plate through Donzi direct? Yeah the Panel was ordered through Donzi. They were able to do the switch labels to our specifications and they added two more switch holes for us. We deleted the Donzi 009 logo from the right side of the steering wheel.

Was there much rewiring involved?Donzi was pretty clean in the original installation of the dash and my boat guy is going to be able to use part of the original harness to wire up the gauges. Livorsi uses those Deutche connectors and are supposed to be somewhat easy to hook up...

rickmb
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Hey Vette I like that first steering wheel you listed, I think I overlooked that one when I was on monstermarines site earlier. The guy at Donzi said the steering wheel on the 009 special edition was around $1000 so I had to ditch that idea...

DonziJosh
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Looking good! That was the first custom carbon fiber panel we've done so we appreciate the business!

The Carlotta is a good choice.

Josh

Harris Performance
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Lookin good Ricky!!

rickmb
12-19-2010, 07:46 PM
That was the first custom carbon fiber panel we've done so we appreciate the business!Josh, Y'all did an awesome job! Thanks!

Lookin good Ricky!! You've done an excellent job Jeff, how we lookin on that shifter?

rickmb
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Here's some pictures of the finished product. Steering wheel has to be ordered. The one in the picture is the older wheel. Everything turned out great. Work was done by Harris Performance, Jackson's Gap, Alabama.

tmh
01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
FYI, The throttle can be adjusted so that it isn't angled back when the throttle is at idle speed (no throttle). On my 18 c rotating the position at idle the extra 2 inches forward made a big difference for the ergonomics of the throttle postion in relation to where my seat is located.
T.M. Hayes

Greg Guimond
01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Looks really nice! If you have the width and height of that carbon panel handy I'd be curious to know the dimensions

yeller
01-14-2011, 11:21 AM
It would look ok, but your screws don't all line up. Totally wrecks the whole look. :wink:

Just kidding. Looks fantastic! What wheel are you going with?

Fishermanjm
01-14-2011, 01:52 PM
that shifter looks awsome. who makes that??? if u dont mind me askin

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Just curious how much did the new dash pannel itself cost and what are you going to do with the old pannel ?

yeller
01-14-2011, 05:47 PM
that shifter looks awsome. who makes that??? if u dont mind me askin
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?productid=4691&CatID=592&group_id=33&CFID=541125&CFTOKEN=6c80a2-74d4b1d3-1071-475d-8c1b-0a3d7369134d

rickmb
01-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Just curious how much did the new dash pannel itself cost and what are you going to do with the old pannel ?

Josh at Donzi Direct can help you obtain a dash panel like this. I wanna say it was in the neighborhood of $700-800. I've given the old panel to a buddy of mine.

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Rick very nice looking pannel but..............way to $$$ pricey considering you could have made your own pannel for a fraction of the price .

rickmb
01-19-2011, 08:40 PM
...way to $$$ pricey considering you could have made your own pannel for a fraction of the price .

Yeah I could have done it myself but I would probably still be workin on it and it probably wouldn't have come out lookin as clean...This is a case where I didn't mind paying to have it done right...

MDonziM
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Dash looks great. You're gonna love the Dana throttle, great feel/responce.

fogducker III
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Rick very nice looking pannel but..............way to $$$ pricey considering you could have made your own pannel for a fraction of the price .

tacky....IMO.......:frown:

GBond
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
tacky....IMO.......:frown:

Plezzzz.....

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Plezzzz..... :yes: I , agree & thank you .

mrfixxall
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM

OK artie!! we all know your a professional when it comes to fiberglass,not everybody on here has had the honor to work for skater full time like yourself..i think to make this statement look allot better by explaining to people how to go about making a sheet or a piece of carbon fiber..I think we need a how to fiberglass section arties way so it dont look like your bashing someones Else's work like it looked like when you commented on george carter's fiber glassing techniques on his trend or at least the little comment you made looked like he was doing something wrong..

So please explain how you would go about making a carbon fiber dash panel for this boat with out the proper tools involved?? or do you thing it was cheaper for him to purchase the panel and install it??

no offence just my o2..

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Ok , Mr bun hole, and the other Mr bun hole , who both have a very high post count and always seem to know everything and anything, and lets clear the air because i have over 40 years experience doing fiberglass repair and not all of them were just at Skater and to tell you the truth i have learned more at Skater over the years then any one will ever imagine and probably have done more major repairs on boats that most people will ever do in a life time from the old Carlos N Charlies X- TREME , JELLY BELLY GONE AGAIN , ext , ext . Hey guy , you seem to have an ax to grind when i ask questions about the way somebody is doing something and which by the way you clearly (stated) that it looked like i was bashing Georges work or is techniques (& by the way before you spell that word do a spell check )when i was only asking questions from what i could see from his photos ,and when has it ever hurt to ask questions .

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Just a quick mention Mr B/H ( FIXXALL ) we do need a fiberglass section on this forum other then having everything wrapped up into one ball of wax and seeing that you want to test my patience today most pannel's can be made by an individual using clear resin with UV'S , and or auto quality Carbon Fiber /fabric either in a 2x2 twill or a 4x4 twill -which both have many colors to choose from , or can be purchased in pannel form (pre-made) in any thickness, and size you desire at reasonable prices and like i stated in a previous post to Marshall , i often find myself deleteing post's because people on this forum are EITHER to sensitive or often offended & just curious what special tool's would be needed ......to make one of these pannels, and no in my opinion it would not have been cheaper to just buy and install one of these pannels .

zelatore
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Ok , Mr bun hole, and the other Mr bun hole , who both have a very high post count and always seem to know everything and anything, and lets clear the air because i have over 40 years experience doing fiberglass repair and not all of them were just at Skater and to tell you the truth i have learned more at Skater over the years then any one will ever imagine and probably have done more major repairs on boats that most people will ever do in a life time from the old Carlos N Charlies X- TREME , JELLY BELLY GONE AGAIN , ext , ext . Hey guy , you seem to have an ax to grind when i ask questions about the way somebody is doing something and which by the way you clearly (stated) that it looked like i was bashing Georges work or is techniques (& by the way before you spell that word do a spell check )when i was only asking questions from what i could see from his photos ,and when has it ever hurt to ask questions .

Really? You're going for a grammer/spelling issue?

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Really? You're going for a grammer/spelling issue? ha ha ha .

mrfixxall
01-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Just a quick mention Mr B/H ( FIXXALL ) we do need a fiberglass section on this forum other then having everything wrapped up into one ball of wax and seeing that you want to test my patience today most pannel's can be made by an individual using clear resin with UV'S , and or auto quality Carbon Fiber /fabric either in a 2x2 twill or a 4x4 twill -which both have many colors to choose from , or can be purchased in pannel form (pre-made) in any thickness, and size you desire at reasonable prices and like i stated in a previous post to Marshall , i often find myself deleteing post's because people on this forum are EITHER to sensitive or often offended & just curious what special tool's would be needed ......to make one of these pannels, and no in my opinion it would not have been cheaper to just buy and install one of these pannels .

ok spell checked,,roger or is is it rodger,,over and out..

so your telling us you dont have to vacuum bag it??? what about the expensive material used to get the smooth face on the carbon fiber end of it then what do you use for a backing because it can get expensive using all carbon fiber..

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61356 this pannel was made with epoxy resin using 4x4 twill ,and not vacume bagged with the smooth surface down because gravity will play its part with a 10 oz backing .

Bobby D
01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Yo Rick,
Very nice I like the way it turned out. You did a very good job it looks OEM. Your attention to detail makes it look like it came from the factory.
Bob