PDA

View Full Version : Looking for snow

glashole
12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
looking for snow
will travel

anyone have snow within about 5hrs of Toronto?

have a bunch of guys with new sleds ready to lay a beating on the white stuff

mrfixxall
12-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Got some in hurley wi:) sorry its more then 5 hours tho..

if you want to look for yourself i use a website called http://johndee.com/

go northwoods cam network and look at the top of the map where it reads region,,their will be flowers where the cams are..

looks like algonquin park ontario has almost 2'..

gcarter
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
looking for snow
will travel

anyone have snow within about 5hrs of Toronto?

have a bunch of guys with new sleds ready to lay a beating on the white stuff

Only five hours???
What a wimp!!!:wink:
How about up around Hudson Bay?

glashole
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
apparently we are getting dumped on about 2 hrs north of toronto

don't think the park has 2ft but will check- its only about 2 1/2 hr north

hudson bay is about 8-10 hrs

will send pics if we find some

Donziweasel
12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Shea, you ever get the itch to go big, we would love to have ya in Jackson Hole. I am a serious sledneck (M-1000 w/ nitrous and other mods) and spend most of my time in the backcountry (of which there is 3,500,000 acres of it out my back yard). Up to 700 inches of snow a year and peaks of 12,000ft for snowmobiling. We have a full guest cabin and bunkhouse and can house 10 guests. We even have a guest SUV. I also have a deal if you want to rent sleds while out here. My door is always open, so keep it in the back of your mind. I guarantee you the best snowmobiling trip of your life.

Donziweasel
12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
BTW, what do you guys ride around Toronto? Our here it is all mountain sleds. Ski Doo is probably the most popular with the Summit series, Arctic Can M-1000's and M-8's next, and Polaris RMK's third. Yamaha's are around, but generally too heavy and not enough HP for the truley steep and deep without a turbo. Light sleds, deep lugs, 153-162 tracks, and BIG hp. That's right, the number one sled out here is a Canuck sled!!!

mike o
12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
apparently we are getting dumped on about 2 hrs north of toronto

don't think the park has 2ft but will check- its only about 2 1/2 hr north

hudson bay is about 8-10 hrs

will send pics if we find someMt Valins PQ open for biz. Best early season riding. Big storm in Gaspe', north shore SL river today....:kingme:http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?act=idx..

hardcrab
12-06-2010, 05:30 PM
looking for snow
will travel

"will travel?" sounds like the only other choice is to wait for it to come to you ! :kyle::cussball:

mrfixxall
12-06-2010, 05:43 PM
BTW, what do you guys ride around Toronto? Our here it is all mountain sleds. Ski Doo is probably the most popular with the Summit series, Arctic Can M-1000's and M-8's next, and Polaris RMK's third. Yamaha's are around, but generally too heavy and not enough HP for the truley steep and deep without a turbo. Light sleds, deep lugs, 153-162 tracks, and BIG hp. That's right, the number one sled out here is a Canuck sled!!!

OK now you hit a nerve!! :) you know thats what i ride..yamaha has the most reliable 4 stroke engine,add a turbo and they will fly through the snow..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbgVblKOqs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPMQ6Kbtl_4&feature=related

Ed Donnelly
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
London is getting slammed. Most wholesalers are closing up shop..Ed

Ed Donnelly
12-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Mr. Jackson Hole..

What do we ride in Toronto?????????????

When it REALLY snows,,,,we ride the Red Rocket...............Ed

Donziweasel
12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
When it REALLY snows,,,,we ride the Red Rocket...............Ed

Whimp!!! :)

OK now you hit a nerve!! you know thats what i ride..yamaha has the most reliable 4 stroke engine,add a turbo and they will fly through the snow..

Mike, Turbo Yamaha's with north of 350 hp are the most insane sleds I have ever seen. I have ridden with plenty and I am not even close to being in the same league, and I got plenty of juice as you know. That being said, any stock Polaris, Cat or Ski Doo mountains sled will eat any stock 4 stroke Yammie mountain sled for breakfast, lunch and dinner.......... :)

mrfixxall
12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Whimp!!! :)

Mike, Turbo Yamaha's with north of 350 hp are the most insane sleds I have ever seen. I have ridden with plenty and I am not even close to being in the same league, and I got plenty of juice as you know. That being said, any stock Polaris, Cat or Ski Doo mountains sled will eat any stock 4 stroke Yammie mountain sled for breakfast, lunch and dinner.......... :)

ya! down the mountain:kingme:

Ride a nitro and get back to me..that sled is lite and awsome in the powder..the new polaris looks like it is a pooch in the powder

have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_elEvehBzw

glashole
12-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Shea, you ever get the itch to go big, we would love to have ya in Jackson Hole. I am a serious sledneck (M-1000 w/ nitrous and other mods) and spend most of my time in the backcountry (of which there is 3,500,000 acres of it out my back yard). Up to 700 inches of snow a year and peaks of 12,000ft for snowmobiling. We have a full guest cabin and bunkhouse and can house 10 guests. We even have a guest SUV. I also have a deal if you want to rent sleds while out here. My door is always open, so keep it in the back of your mind. I guarantee you the best snowmobiling trip of your life.

that is an awesome invite and i would love to make the trip if i had the time- we'will see

also be careful what you ask for :bonk:

we are generally a good mix between the skidoo and yamaha in our group with a couple polaris just for fun, the majority being the skidoo for sure
pretty hard to argue with the qualities of the skidoo brand

Ed Donnelly
12-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Last machine I owned was in the 70's and it was a Moto ski 340 free air

and Merc was just coming out with a liquid cooled 1,000cc

Thats dating me a bit EH?..............Ed

Donziweasel
12-07-2010, 08:40 AM
that is an awesome invite and i would love to make the trip if i had the time- we'will see

Shea, anytime...... :)

Ride a nitro and get back to me..that sled is lite and awsome in the powder..the new polaris looks like it is a pooch in the powder

have a look

Part of a review straight off Snowmobile.com about the 2011 Nytro......

Lastly, when taking the Nytro MTX into the mountains, owners must understand, this is not an 800-class mountain snowmobile. If an owner expects it to compete head-on against a Summit 800, Cat M8 or RMK 800, then they will be disappointed as we find the Nytro MTX competes very well in the 600- to 700-class niche. With that in mind, an owner will be fully satisfied as they operate it in its envelope. As for us, we have tested the Nytro MTX against the “8s,” because we work in an 800 world. We pushed the Nytro hard, but understood its limitations against the 8s. If throwing the Nytro MTX against the 800s, be patient when working the steep-n-deep, it will make the ascents, not with arm-stretching speed, but it will crest a peak by using some old-school right and left cuts.

Mike, out here we actually have to go up things.....LOL :bonk::wink::nilly:

Ed, you ain't that old..... :) BTW, out here at some of the snowmobile shows they have a class for restored old sleds. There are usually 50-70 of them. Amazing resto's..... :)

mike o
12-07-2010, 09:19 AM
05 MXZX 600 SDI 121"
16,388 miles
Haven't touched the motor, except Reeds boots.:yes:
Oh..... Canada
Merci-C- Beau-Coup.......... :kingme:

glashole
12-07-2010, 09:45 AM
hopefully that thing will hold up when you start riding with the men from ontario

we might make you hold the loud handle a bit farther than you are used to :wink:

BUIZILLA
12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Wease.... go find my crazy brother.. :wink:

mike o
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
hopefully that thing will hold up when you start riding with the men from ontario

we might make you hold the loud handle a bit farther than you are used to :wink:If it dosent "blow" in the 1st 50, she'll "go" all season....:kingme: When we leaving.....:kingme:

Donziweasel
12-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Mike O, if those miles are correct, you have the record for an original sled with the most miles...... :)

glashole
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
not sure about that
have seen some pretty close if not more than that

(hate to say it but I have a buddy with a yamaha 4 stroke that tops it)

it is definitely impressive, especially if you were the one to put them all on there

mike o
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM
not sure about that
have seen some pretty close if not more than that

(hate to say it but I have a buddy with a yamaha 4 stroke that tops it)

it is definitely impressive, especially if you were the one to put them all on thereYep, they are out there, mine says 16,358 actually. You c barley see the 16k in dark, bad pic. On that Quebec rider site, read some of these dudes annual mileage, some of these old dude's do 8-10 k per Yr in Quebec. 20k + has happened with these 600 sdi's on that site, orginial rings, good comp like mine. Over 20k miles of trails in PQ alone.:crossfing: 4 stroke yamaha motors do last. Dont start in Canada when really cold unless plugged in at nite. :kingme:

Sweet Cheekz
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I had an El Tigre
Hows that for time warp?

Parnell

mrfixxall
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I had an El Tigre
Hows that for time warp?

Parnell

Word dat!

my first one was a 1971 mercury lightening 398:boggled:
it use to blow gas all over you because the carb was rite at your belly...

after that one i had a 1975 merc snow twister liquid cooled 440(i could not get use to the off set steering post..,then a kawee 440 invader,then a kawee interseptor,yadda yadda yadda and the list goes on..

zelatore
12-08-2010, 08:41 AM
All this talk about sleds......almost makes me wish I lived somewhere it snowed enough to buy one.

Almost.

Once, back in the mid-80's, I rode maybe 20 minutes on a neighbor's sled. There, I've covered my entire knowledge base on the subject.

(still wouldn't mind spending a day with one in the mountains though, although that would just be asking for trouble in terms of a new hobby)

mrfixxall
12-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Zel,,its addicting!!! you could always go and rent one then when your done you give it back :) no troubles on storing it,fixing it, making sure the trailer is ready to go and all the hassles that go with it..Makes me think with all the bs involved sometimes if its really worth it.

glashole
12-08-2010, 09:37 AM
2 most expensive hobbies

boating
snowmobiling

Donziweasel
12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Don, come on out and try it.

2 most expensive hobbies
boating
snowmobiling

I agree 1000%. Hell, top of the line clothing like Klim can be over 1000.00 for a full setup, not to mention the sled, trailer, mods, etc......

I had an El Tigre

Parnell, great sled. You STILL see some of them running down the trails out here!!!

Yep, they are out there, mine says 16,358 actually.

I am jealous. Damn mountain sleds need a full top end rebuild by 4000 miles or they lose compression and become unreliable. They just a get a bunch of abuse in the backcountry. Boondockers (slednecks who don't really ride trails and wander the backcountry) use trails only to get from one backcountry area to the next. Mountain sleds SUCK on trails. For the trail riders, Wyoming has over 2000 miles of groomed trails. I would like to take a ZR1 out for a trail ride one day. A factory turbo charged 1000cc trail sled that is rumored to go over 150 mph out of the box.

Biggest difference between a mountain sled and trail sled is weight (mountain sleds have to be LIGHT!), track (Mountian sled tracks tend to be 153's or 162's while trail sleds are usually 120-144's) lugs on the track (Mountain 2.25 inch, trail 1/2 inch) and ski stance (mountain narrower). In many cases, chassis and engines are the exact same. Most mountain sleds are in the 450 pound range with 160+hp stock.

A few pics from last winter. Mike (Fixall), those should get ya feeling like you need a roadtrip-

Cuda
12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
When we lived in Oregon, my uncle lived next door and had 2 of what had to be some of the first snowmobiles. They were Skidoo 250's that you had to hand start. Then he got a 330, and we thought that was the shizenitz!

We lived just outside of Portland, and it hardly snowed in the Willamette Valley, but in an hour we'd be on Mt Hood where there was plenty of snow.