PDA

View Full Version : So does this sound right...???

fogducker III
12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Got my 454Mag back from the shop the other day. I did some research before hand and gathered advice from members here and other sites, thanks for the input BTW...:wink:

We came up with a game plan to setup the engine with a Procharger @ 5lbs boost so that it would be a strong, reliable runner, not extreme, just consistent....:yes:

What do you all think? And what should a "ball-park" $$ figure for the build w/dyno be..?

I pulled the motor and removed all exterior components myself and took the block to the engine shop. They did the following:

Engine was stripped, hot tanked and sonaflux.

Bore and hone with torque plate and ARP rocker studs.

Deck height checked and parallel deck block.

Alignhone block with studs, torque in bearings and measure bearing clearance for final size to finish main housing bores.

FCB finish clean block after machining.

Re & re cam bearings.

Re & re frost & oil plugs

Resize rods

Re & re pistons on rods and check alignment

Clean, sonaflux & polish crankshaft

Re & re 4 exhaust valve guides that were cracked and pressure test head. 16 bronze guide liners installed.

Hone valve guides for stem clearance.

Grind intake port floors in heads to match int manifold ports, intake port roofs of heads were already higher then manifold ports. surf. .065 off int. side of heads for manifold to fit, trial fit on engine and setup int. and machine end rails for clearance.

Blend in valve bowl area after installing larger valves, machine valve guides for positive valve seals.

Surface heads to 110cc for proper compression.

Surface exhaust side of heads, bad from factory.

Hot tank, sonaflux & valve grind heads, set installed spring heights.

Balance crankshaft assembly.

Assemble engine including file fit rings, check clearances, degree camshaft, check piston to valve clearance, check rocker geometry and determine pushrod legth, shorten outer head studs so exhaust manifolds clear when installed.

Machine heads for 2.250 intake valves, unshroud combustion chamber.

Some of the parts we used:

JE Flat top pistons and file fit rings .30 over
ARP rocker studs
HP rod and main bearings
Cometic head gaskets
True double roller timing set
Dual valve springs
Roller lifters
Scorpion roller rockers
Custom push rods
All new marine gaskets
Oil pump and drive (yes pick-up was welded in..lol)
Inconel Extreme duty exhaust valves 1.88
Inconel Severe duty intake valves 2.25
Brass frost plug kit
Valve guides

Sent my ECM down to Mark Boos for re-programing and got that back yesterday. Plan on hitting the dyno Dec. 20th....:crossfing:

I am pretty sure I paid top $$$ for this but I have very limited choice around here.....:frown:

Onward........:)

mrfixxall
12-04-2010, 11:36 AM
my guess, you should be around 550 hp and 580 ftlbs of tq

EDIT!! @ 5450..

fogducker III
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
my guess, you should be around 550 hp and 580 ftlbs of tq

Good call.....:wink:

We "guessed" between 500-550hp and about 550-575ftlbs.....:crossfing:

So other then the "file to fit" rings, I know you like the gapless.....does it sound like I am on the right track...? Can't afford to do this twice...:boggled:

HOWARD O
12-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Wish I could afford to do it once! That's a setup I'd love to put in my boat. Super anxious to hear about the results!

fogducker III
12-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Wish I could afford to do it once! That's a setup I'd love to put in my boat. Super anxious to hear about the results!

I had to sell one of the kids to get this done....:eek::yes::wink:

I am looking forward to the dyno results and can't wait until I get her in the boat and do a New Years run....:crossfing: (Now where did I put my plug-in heated jacket...:confused: )

The Hedgehog
12-05-2010, 11:34 AM
You should make around 550hp. I saw a 502 done exactly like that and it hit just north of 600

Carl C
12-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey, how about a guess the exact hp contest. RPM could be a tiebreaker. One more kid could be the prize.......... :)

Here's hoping you top 550 :drinkbeer:.

BUIZILLA
12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
520-530

Ed Donnelly
12-06-2010, 06:32 PM
519 @5200

Donziweasel
12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
When I saw this thread, I thought "Does this sound right?" meant he was going to post "I sold the Scarab and bought another Donzi......" :bonk::wink::nilly:

fogducker III
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
When I saw this thread, I thought "Does this sound right?" meant he was going to post "I sold the Scarab and bought another Donzi......" :bonk::wink::nilly:

Are you buried in snow yet...:confused::eek::wink::lookaroun:

I have to get this boat up and doing 80+ sell it and THEN I get THE Donzi.............:wink:

The Hedgehog
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey, how about a guess the exact hp contest. RPM could be a tiebreaker. One more kid could be the prize.......... :)
Here's hoping you top 550 :drinkbeer:.

Yep on the RPM.

The engine will pull more but the stock cam flattens out at 5,200 and it does not make any more power. The key is to cam it to match the non-linear boost curve of the centrifugal blower. It will continue to make boost and power in a stock configuration if you cam it right.

I have some dyno pics around somewhere that show that.