PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify This Boat!

echobay
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but had an experience with this Donzi a bit over a year ago. I have been wondering what model it is and found this picture on my cell phone. It is a terrible angle, but hopefully someone knows more about it or can provide more photos. From what I was told it is pretty rare - from what I saw it was built in the late 60's (don't remember the exact year but remember the HIN was xxx6x), had two motors - neither were in but it had a transom for two, port side controls, and was pretty big - maybe 22-24'. I do not want to give too much info on where the boat went, but I work for a marina in CT and the boat went to an executive of a boat manufacturer for a complete restoration.

I dug this boat out of the bushes on a hill at a property that is straight out of the TV show hoarders (the property owner was nothing but nice), so I'd love to know more about it.

Below is a picture - I will try to answer any questions that I can!

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite%2Fimages%2Fechobaymarina%2Fvp1908250_20 a1_large.jpg

Ghost
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Looks like it might be a Spitfire to me. 24 feet, was usually a twin engine boat but there were some singles I think.

Sweet little 16
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50764

superhatz
12-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Someone should save that...:nilly:

Ghost
12-02-2010, 08:28 PM
If I read it right, someone is restoring it...

fogducker III
12-02-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50764

Good eyes young man....:wink:

That is one pretty boat, lots to do and I hope the new owner didn't pay $10,000......:eek:

echobay
12-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow I was searching for that post... The boat did not have the transom asseblies or any of the shown parts or motors as said in the add, and was in much rougher shape when I picked it up... as you can definitely tell from the picture. That being said the last two digits of the HIN were definitely 6x... I remember this clearly. Is it possible that a spitfire was built in the late 60s and this is a rare one? My memory could be failing me but desipte this being the exact boat (I still have that cell # in the add stored in my phone) I remember the HID having 6x as the last two digits. I know there is one person who can clear the air... but I do not know whether or not he is an active member on these forums. Can someone confrim that this is actually a rare boat with some history or am I smoking something and this is an early 70s Spitfire and the HIN I remember is actually a xx74?

Sweet little 16
12-03-2010, 06:56 AM
rare is somewhat accurate late 60's is not true. search for Bill he knows the 24 foot mid 70's models known as the doral,spirit,el pescador and spitfire

he has 2 of these models

his handle here is olered I think

Sweet little 16
12-03-2010, 08:04 AM
sorry I'm wrong it search olredalert

Just Say N20
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Remember that the current style of Hull Identification Numbers which incorporate build date/model year were not required until late 1973. As such manufacturers didn't use them, so it is unlikely that if this were a 60s hull, you would have seen such a number.

For example the serial number on my 1967 Ski-Sporter is simply C16-409. It is a Classic 16, and was the 409th one built.

Sweet little 16
12-03-2010, 08:43 AM
only twins setup in the 60's from Donzi in that size range were the 7 meter and the sportsman but it is definetly not one of those.

not late 73 , HIN were made mandatory on any boat made or imported into the US after NOV 1 1972.
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/whats%20a%20hin%20marine%20survey%20surveyor%20mis sissauga.htm

shame this boat has sat like that the previous owner had some other jewels should be interesting to see everyone flock around and try and hunt down the rare ones. he had a a 427 side oiler 18 vee drive( think the motor was pillaged) and an X 18 as well, these discoveries always bring out the "best"