PDA

View Full Version : Classic Trailers, Inc. Sandusky, OH?

tamburello
11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
I need to locate the VIN number on my 1994 boat trailer manufactured by Classic Trailers, Inc. in Sandusky, OH. Any idea where to look on the trailer for a VIN number?

The trailer was repainted and I can't find the VIN no. anywhere and the phone number on the owners manual is disconnected. I need to be able to show it at the DMV to register the trailer. Any information would be much appreciated.

- Jeff

Last Tango
12-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Try a PM to Dad's Thunder on this forum. He lives there and may have some idea how to find them. I'll call him and give him a heads up for you.

tamburello
12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks, after doing some more research I'm fairly certain they went out of business.

gcarter
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks, after doing some more research I'm fairly certain they went out of business.

So many trailer companies have.

Tidbart
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM
If you already have the VIN, on paper, get a set of letter stamps and put the numbers on the under side of the tongue. Then scrape the paint around them. Show em to the registry people and then paint over them. Now you know where they are.:wink: Just a thought.

B

zelatore
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
If you already have the VIN, on paper, get a set of letter stamps and put the numbers on the under side of the tongue. Then scrape the paint around them. Show em to the registry people and then paint over them. Now you know where they are.:wink: Just a thought.

B

Sadly, the way many trailers are done this might be the only way to do it. If you've got the OEM documentation for the number, I don't see why this would be illegal - you're not changing anything.

I rebuilt an old trailer we had that had been sitting on our property for at least 15-20 years last year for my dinghy. I didn't see any numbers on the thing, and didn't have any paperwork for it. I took it down to the DMV and had it registered as a home-built. They never blinked an eye and issued a new sticker to put on the tongue.