PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on 1971 Donzi 18 Classic

TS1
11-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Can anyone give me some history on a 1971 Donzi 18 Classic? The HIN # is 18365. Was this from the era where Aronow was building boats? Any chance it was made by him? How many of these were made? Any idea of history of it's previous life would be greatly appreciated.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
No history lesson here, but my 1971 is HIN 18-420. I bought mine back a couple years ago and restored it. I first bought it in 1973. Here is a link to my thread. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52903&highlight=1971+started

Donzi Vol
11-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Can anyone give me some history on a 1971 Donzi 18 Classic? The HIN # is 18365. Was this from the era where Aronow was building boats? Any chance it was made by him? How many of these were made? Any idea of history of it's previous life would be greatly appreciated.

1. During this era Aronow was building boats, but not at Donzi. He had sold the company several years before.
2. Seriously doubt it.
3. Not sure, but thankfully there are still quite a few running around. Timeless craftsmanship!
4. You can attempt to look up info by the previous registrations, if you have access to those.

Hope this helps. Welcome and good luck with your research!

No history lesson here, but my 1971 is HIN 18-420. I bought mine back a couple years ago and restored it. I first bought it in 1973. Here is a link to my thread. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52903&highlight=1971+started

Such a cool project, Bill. Had to be something to re-purchase your boat after so many years. How did you track it down? Was it owned by the same person you sold it to?

TS1
12-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Thank you for the info! Does anyone else have any more info?

Conquistador_del_mar
12-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Such a cool project, Bill. Had to be something to re-purchase your boat after so many years. How did you track it down? Was it owned by the same person you sold it to?

Actually, I didn't track it down. I pulled up the boat listings one Saturday morning on Craigslist, and there it was listed for sale as the 6th boat down the long list. I knew it was my old boat by the scoop in the poor resolution pictures. The guy who had it was blown away by how much I knew about it including a custom made stainless gauge holder that I had designed in 1974. He had bought it from a dealer who sold it for the man I had sold it to. Bill