PDA

View Full Version : 18 classic.Performance ?(tipping feeling)

tripperjharley
11-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Hello, I have 2000 18' classic. Have had it for 4 years, This year I had several times when using boat at under 25-30 mph the boat would list to port at the start of a port turn, and the boat would continue forward and I would get the feeling that if I steered eitherway the boat would flip. I have never really noticed that before. Tabs where up. The lake we were on was very busy and alot of wakes. Am I making a big deal of this. Should I just bang the wheel to either side and power thru it.

Thanks

Carl C
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Hello, I have 2000 18' classic. Have had it for 4 years, This year I had several times when using boat at under 25-30 mph the boat would list to port at the start of a port turn, and the boat would continue forward and I would get the feeling that if I steered eitherway the boat would flip. I have never really noticed that before. Tabs where up. The lake we were on was very busy and alot of wakes. Am I making a big deal of this. Should I just bang the wheel to either side and power thru it.
Thanks

lol :popcorn:

Don't power through it. If the boat starts to roll onto it's side in a turn, raise the drive and straighten the boat.

tripperjharley
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Makes Sense. Thanks Carl.

Carl C
11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Makes Sense. Thanks Carl.

Your welcome. Hopefully others will join in.

Rodger
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Hello, I have 2000 18' classic. Have had it for 4 years, This year I had several times when using boat at under 25-30 mph the boat would list to port at the start of a port turn,

This problem started this year and not during the previous 3 years of ownership? Any changes to the setup...prop maybe?

gcarter
11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
The solution is, if under 35, always turn to STBD. LOL!

It's true!

Sweet Cheekz
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
or dont go under 35

Parnell

John C in PA
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Are you sure both tabs are up? You could experience a port list if the STB tab was full down and the port full up. Also, not to be obvious but did you check the bilge?

HTH, John C

mrfixxall
11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
i have a feeling the driver is getting a little chunky and the extra weight is causing the problem,,:kingme:

John C in PA
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
i have a feeling the driver is getting a little chunky and the extra weight is causing the problem,,:kingme:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/813552/fat_guy.jpg

tripperjharley
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Did my wife send you that picture.

In response to the other reply's, first thanks for your response.
Nope, i havent changed a thing since I bought it 4 years ago., I am positive that the tabs where up. I thought about this while it was listing and hit the buttons to make sure. When I first bought it though I had a few scarry moments playing with the tabs and actually that feeling is very similiar to what I am describing here.

Bilge was dry.

Thanks.
Ron

Planetwarmer
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Maybe you are just extra sensitive. My boat tends to "waller" around below 30 without some serious tabs.

CHACHI
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I have found that if I am not on plane, my boat is not the crispest handleing. If I turn too sharp, she will roll.

Ken

maddad
11-24-2010, 08:50 AM
My 18 leans over at low speeds also, a little extra throttle and a sharper turn creates the "g's" needed to keep everything feeling normal.

DonziJon
11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
As discussed on this forum already, Real Men don't use Trim Tab Indicators either..so don't even go there. :bonk: DJ

Planetwarmer
11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
As discussed on this forum already, Real Men don't use Trim Tab Indicators either..so don't even go there. :bonk: DJ

Key word!!

HOWARD O
11-25-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm so pleased you've finally come around to the conclusion that indicators are for girls, John! :yes:

Seat o' the pants, man! :kingme:

DonziJon
11-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm so pleased you've finally come around to the conclusion that indicators are for girls, John! :yes:

Seat o' the pants, man! :kingme:

HOWIE: I REFUSE to look at my Indicators. I have covered them over with Duct Tape. ..............:nilly: Don't need no stinkin indicators....DJ

gcarter
11-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Just wait til you all see my indicators. :wink:

My Man Card is in VERY good standing!:yes:

roadtrip se
11-27-2010, 11:20 AM
but I have something else to check, too. Besides your indicators.

Jill's Scorpion 18 liked to lean at any speed, not just at slow speeds.
It got real fun and exciting, when it decided to do it at 70+ or on a landing, and try to toss us out.

I decided that even with the tabs retracted, that they were creating drag and hooking the boat.
There are several posts here on shortening the tab stops to allow the rams to pull the tabs out of the water further.
I have done this to the 22. With the 18, I called Bennett, because of the indicator senders on the actuators, and they
shipped shorter stops, at no charge. It took all of about ten minutes per side to install them. I didn't even have to mess
with the indicator senders in the process.

The boat was a ton more predictable after we did this modification, and I didn't have to worry as much about going
on an unplanned swim.

gcarter
11-27-2010, 12:22 PM
On my first outing in the Minx at an event, I had installed a labbed three blade 25" cleaver prop. I also had a full load w/four adults. During the weekend, it rolled over on the port side (I mean "Way Over") at speed, 50 +. It was very disconcerting to me and the passengers. I checked everything a number of times and found nothing amiss.
Finally, after I returned home, I changed the prop and it never happened again.
No logic here, that's simply what happened.

roadtrip se
11-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I have also found that putting tabs on the boat that are too long for the hull can create the same hooking condition. Not to mention, scrub top end.

Figured this out pretty quick, when I expiremented with various versions a few years back. Even if the boat does need a little correcting from a tab once in awhile, most of these boats don't need a set of oars swinging around back there.

Carl C
11-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I have also found that putting tabs on the boat that are too long for the hull can create the same hooking condition. Not to mention, scrub top end.
Figured this out pretty quick, when I expiremented with various versions a few years back. Even if the boat does need a little correcting from a tab once in awhile, most of these boats don't need a set of oars swinging around back there.

Good to know. I've thought about k-planes but my stock little dual ram Bennetts seem to work fine. I run tab to keep the boat level and both tabs to keep the boat running flat in rough. For top end runs the port tab is eased up along with the drive.