PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire Care

VetteLT193
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
The trailer thread has me wondering about my trailer tires...

I have a triple axle trailer + spare so 7 tires. My boat is not on the trailer. Unfortunately the trailer is too long to fit inside. Is my best bet to take off all but 2 tires and stack them in my garage? Any other ways to maintain the trailer while it basically just sits there?

Tidbart
11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Move it occasionally and put 303 Protectant on the rubber every couple of months. It'll stop the uv degradation of the tires.

B

joseph m. hahnl
11-22-2010, 02:27 PM
The trailer thread has me wondering about my trailer tires...

I have a triple axle trailer + spare so 7 tires. My boat is not on the trailer. Unfortunately the trailer is too long to fit inside. Is my best bet to take off all but 2 tires and stack them in my garage? Any other ways to maintain the trailer while it basically just sits there?

Thats a great idea, that will keep them from dry rotting,But I still think that the 5yr tire life thing falls into play even if they are stored in a climate controlled environment.

mrfixxall
11-22-2010, 02:55 PM
keep it in a shaded area,also keeping the tires coveres helps too,,like they do with rv's

Tony
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I store my boat in an unheated pole building with a cement floor. I run my trailer up on a couple 2 x 10's, to keep moisture in the concrete from wicking up into the tires. I've often wondered, though, if this is a myth...

:cool!:

Cuda
11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
The best idea is to keep the sun off them, 303 sure wouldn't hurt. I think it's a bunch of whooey that the lifespan of a tire is only five years. I had my fishboat for 22 years and only change the tires once. It's probably something tire manufactorers pass on to get people to get more tires. It's like the oil companies are the only one's who tell you to change oil at 3000 miles. That's their business; selling oil. Look in an owner's manual and it will say to change oil between 7500 and 10,000 miles. That's because the oil is much better, and the tolerances in an engine are much better than they used to be. You used to be able to buy used oil (before my time).

Cuda
11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
It takes a tire 100,000 years to disintegrate in salt water.

DonziJon
11-25-2010, 12:07 PM
You used to be able to buy used oil (before my time).

DAM: I havn't thought about that for years. :bonk: I used to buy "used" oil for my first car (10 year old '48 Plymouth) because it was an oil burner. They called it "Drain Oil" and it came in two gallon jugs for 2 bucks. The funny thing was, it was as clean and clear amber in color as brand new oil.

The best thing about that car was you Never had to change the oil....just add a quart every few days. :nilly: DJ

BUIZILLA
11-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Safety Clean sells recycled used oil, even has a MIL spec for it, the USCG buys it in bulk in 55 gal drums.... since it's recycled, used, and supoosedly green for the planet, and costs more, the Govt buys it... just like the corn/ethanol farce

DonziJon
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
My Minx is on the trailer in the garage. Single axle trailer. A cinder block with the holes facing up, with a short piece of 2x4 layed flat on top under the shackles. This allows the tires to clear the cement floor by about a half inch. I had to replace one tire 12 years ago because it got a flat spot (stored without blocking the trailer) and ruptered a layer of cord while sailing up the NY Thruway to TI. It didn't blow out..it just "thumped" along until I found a tire place to replace it.

As far as I know, the other tire is original. (24 years) :nilly: DJ

BTW: I have Never used any kind of STUFF on the tires to preserve the rubber. My belief is those chemicals just accelerate deteriation by 10 fold. I keep things a long time so I want them to last. :)

mrfixxall
11-25-2010, 12:20 PM
all the used oil pick up services by me are buying used oil now..last time i checked they were paying .50 per gallon..and a few of the shops in the area are using the old oil to heat their shops in the winter..

joseph m. hahnl
11-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Some tidbits of information:)

For Trailer tires
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

http://www.boatwheels.biz/trailer_tire_poster.pdf

http://www.tire-information-world.com/goodyear-trailer-tires.html

For passenger vehicles

Certain chemicals added to new tires allow rubber to be soft and flexible. Over time and as air migrates through the tire, the chemical's effectiveness weakens, allowing rubber to become more brittle and lose strength.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireLife.dos

The current industry association recommendations regarding inspecting and replacing tires due to age originate outside the United States.
The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Cuda
11-26-2010, 07:36 PM
DAM: I havn't thought about that for years. :bonk: I used to buy "used" oil for my first car (10 year old '48 Plymouth) because it was an oil burner. They called it "Drain Oil" and it came in two gallon jugs for 2 bucks. The funny thing was, it was as clean and clear amber in color as brand new oil.
The best thing about that car was you Never had to change the oil....just add a quart every few days. :nilly: DJ
Yeah, my dad said he paid $2 for 2 gallons of used oil.
He also took his belt off and made main bearings for a car. :)