PDA

View Full Version : '78 Post 42 - the woodwork gives me wood

handfulz28
11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?checked_boats=2231274&hosturl=chyachts&slim=broker

As I've been poking around looking at these older (late '70s early '80s) sportfishers, the neatest thing I've noticed that I like are the wood toe rails. I don't know if this was an option among some brands at the time, or if certain manufacturers were known to include them but it certainly sets off the "unique" buzzer for me. I know, maintaining them is probably the biggest PITA but if it wasn't something special, every boat would have them.

Anywho, looks like someone spent a considerable amount of effort on this old Post. From the pictures at least, it looks like some incredible work.

zelatore
11-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Yup, looks nice. But you'll never sell me a boat with that much wood on the exterior unless I can afford a professional varnish monkey to go along with it.

I still remember my grandfather's sage words of advice when I told him I was thinking of buying a wooden boat: NO. You don't want it. You have NO IDEA how much work that is!

Granted he was talking about a full wood hull. But I think you get the idea.

blackboat
11-22-2010, 02:50 PM
My father owned a 36 foot Post. This was an awesome boat,It was owned by my uncle who took parties out of Ocean City MD marlin fishing,He then sold it to my dad who had his offshore captains license and he had it at Marathon Key,FL. Fast and very sea worthy boats!

Ned L
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice boat.

To keep them both in top condition the difference in maintainance between wood & glass is not as great as a lot of people think. The biggest difference is you can ignore glass for a good while & it doesn't suffer as much & as fast as wood.

Craig S
02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
To keep them both in top condition the difference in maintainance between wood & glass is not as great as a lot of people think. The biggest difference is you can ignore glass for a good while & it doesn't suffer as much & as fast as wood.

Well put!:shades:

zelatore
02-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't know. I still have varnish-phobia when it comes to maintaining all that brightwork!

sand, varnish, repeat
sand, varnish, repeat
sand, varnish, repeat

But no question, it looks GREAT when it's done right.

The Hedgehog
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
That is a great looking boat. It has wood but probably no more than my Roamer at the end of the day.

Someone needs to buy this boat.

Donzi Vol
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
That is a great looking boat. It has wood but probably no more than my Roamer at the end of the day.

Someone needs to buy this boat.

Does it look like a Dave boat?

The Hedgehog
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Does it look like a Dave boat?

Oh it does.