PDA

View Full Version : Buying ZX or ZR

Buddyc
11-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Im selling my Sundancer... I miss going fast. Although the Sea Ray is a hell of a boat im bored to tears.
Im looking at preowned 33 foot to 38 foot zx or zr
Other boats I owned had 425hp HO 496 and ran great... Most importantly they were reliable.
Is there any setups I should stay away from?
I dont want to be turning wrenches everytime I get off the boat.
Any help or info would be greatly appriciated

Cuda
11-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Find a ZR with 525's.

Carl C
11-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Find a ZR with 525's.

Yup, a sure cure for boredom. :)

G-MAN
11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a 35ZR with 525s, not bored

joseph m. hahnl
11-19-2010, 04:00 PM
In 2002 Donzi Redesigned the running surface of there Z tech Hull and that was the birth of the ZR's .
Basically it is a Bionic ZX. better, stronger, faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zNY0I5JNI&feature=related

Buddyc
11-19-2010, 05:13 PM
So the 525 is the way to go? What type of maintance is required during the season besides the usual fluid changes and such?
And off season... Do I have to get involved in tareing motors down?hanks

Sorry if im asking dumb questions... Just dont really have a clue when it comes to the reliability of the bigger high performance motors
Thanks

mrfixxall
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
So the 525 is the way to go? What type of maintance is required during the season besides the usual fluid changes and such?

Sorry if im asking dumb questions... Just dont really have a clue when it comes to the reliability of the bigger high performance motors
Thanks

Around 250-300 hours the only thing that needs to be done would be the valve springs..
Caution,if the headers on the 525's dont have the newer style headers i would be cautious,merc had a problem with them in the beginning and will leak sea water into the cylinders..the newer headers,,if you look where it mounts to the head the outer tube is welded to the inner tube about 1'' from the flange..If it dont and when you find the rite boat pay extra to have the headers taken off the engines for inspection,most of them leaked..

Carl C
11-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks

One of the best engines made. I change the oil 3 times a season. In the off season you can back off the rocker arms or I just rotate the engine a little by wrench periodically. That's because the engine has a huge cam with a lot of lift. You don't want to leave a valve spring compressed for a long time. My off season is only 4 months. :P

Buddyc
11-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Thats what im talking bout. Cant get that kinda insight anywhere but here.. Thanks
Im on the lookout now.
My Sundancer is burning like 25 to 30 gph cruising now... WOT over 45 gph... If im going to burn that much fuel on a weekend, I would rather get there faster:kingme:

mrfixxall
11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
the zr is a nice boat but dont over look a zx,they are slower but if your a big guy the zx has a bigger seating area and the cabin is taller..If your not stuck on donzi take a peek at formula boats,they also make a rock solid boat..

VetteLT193
11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
If you are looking for more mindless running, I'd stick with the 496 HO's. The Merc blue stuff, as others have already said, do need engine work after 200 or so hours. Even if it is only top end stuff, it still needs to be done, so you have to consider it.

I'm not saying by any stretch they are bad engines. I'm just playing devils advocate that they are not like the regular merc engine line where you turn the key and run the heck out of them for 800-1000 hours while only doing basic maintenance like oil changes and spark plugs.

Buddyc
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
If you are looking for more mindless running, I'd stick with the 496 HO's. The Merc blue stuff, as others have already said, do need engine work after 200 or so hours. Even if it is only top end stuff, it still needs to be done, so you have to consider it.

I'm not saying by any stretch they are bad engines. I'm just playing devils advocate that they are not like the regular merc engine line where you turn the key and run the heck out of them for 800-1000 hours while only doing basic maintenance like oil changes and spark plugs.

Thats what I was thinking about. Im thinking a 33 to 35 with twin 496HOs would run pretty well . Not too too bad on fuel and can probibally run the hell out of it

FISHIN SUCKS
11-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Cant go wrong with the 496 HO's or the 525's. If I heard correctly, twin 496 HO's in a 35ZR will do like 78, and 525's in the same hull like around 10-12mph faster. I love our ZX, but I really love the lines of the 35 and 38ZR's:yes:! Good luck in your search.

zxlarry
11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
buy mine