PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo...got my 06 22 Classic.

Selenium
11-17-2010, 05:46 PM
But waiting for the delivery.

RickSE
11-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Good Deal Man, Congrats. Now get in (once it arrives) and drive it like you stold it.

mrfixxall
11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Congrats,,just make sure they drain the water out out the heat exchanger/coolers before the long haul..

Selenium
11-20-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm so pissed they lost my cockpit cover on the freeway....ruined my day. Know how much or where I can get a new cockpit cover?

Buddyc
11-20-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm so pissed they lost my cockpit cover on the freeway....ruined my day. Know how much or where I can get a new cockpit cover?
They should be help responsible for a new one... Start bitchin

Tidbart
11-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Best bet is to go to a local canvas shop and have one made. My guess if about $400, but I am sure someone has had one made recently and give you a better figure.

B

Carl C
11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
They should be help responsible for a new one... Start bitchin

Yeah, what he said. It's not a towing cover. When mine was delivered new they had the cockpit cover duct taped across the front. They glue residue came right off the boat and there was none on the cover. They will blow off every time unless taped. These aren't cheap. start bitching. I think one would need to be custom made for the snaps to line up?

mc donzi
11-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I know the feeling... just after I got my 22C, I was towing it down the highway with the cockpit cover on and I happened to look in the rear view mirror and saw the cover disappearing over the transom. Luckily I was able to pull over and retrieve it before it got run over. I went to a canvas shop, had them remove 6 domes-2 on the front & back corners and 2 along the sides(special tool required) and replace them with stainless steel ovals that accept a twist lock. The twist lock replaces the male end that is screwed into the deck. No more problems and I tow at about 70 mph.

Dave

Carl C
11-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I know the feeling... just after I got my 22C, I was towing it down the highway with the cockpit cover on and I happened to look in the rear view mirror and saw the cover disappearing over the transom. Luckily I was able to pull over and retrieve it before it got run over. I went to a canvas shop, had them remove 6 domes-2 on the front & back corners and 2 along the sides(special tool required) and replace them with stainless steel ovals that accept a twist lock. The twist lock replaces the male end that is screwed into the deck. No more problems and I tow at about 70 mph.

Dave

Interesting. Any more info or pics of these "twist locks"? I bet I'm not the only one here who would like to be able to tow with the cockpit cover. Now I carry the cover and a roll of duct tape but haven't gotten caught in rain yet :crossfing:.

yeller
11-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Interesting. Any more info or pics of these "twist locks"? I bet I'm not the only one here who would like to be able to tow with the cockpit cover. Now I carry the cover and a roll of duct tape but haven't gotten caught in rain yet :crossfing:.
I believe he installed the fastener in the first pic.
You can also install "Pull-The-Dot" fasteners shown in the bottom pics. Externally these look identical to standard snaps, but will only release if pulled up on three sides. The forth side locks and can't be released. If installed with the locking side facing the oncoming wind, they will not release.

Donzi Vol
11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I tow with the cover on 90% of the time. Never had a button come loose. I'd rather not get road crap and rain on the new interior.

I agree with the canvas shop idea. If they can't do it, they'll certainly know who can. Good luck.

Tidbart
11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
As far as the tape goes, that is what I do when I tow. I would not use duct tape as it get really hot here and that glue stay with the boat.
The best tape to use is call preservation tape, doesn't leave a residue. This is the stuff that boat transporters use, and shrink wrappers.

Don't buy the 3M stuff, it is way too $$$$. There are other companies that make the same tape a lot cheaper.

Here is 4" one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O65WNK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BL5IBE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZKV26HDBH20TNSMQHAA

yeller
11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
That shrink wrap tape pulled the painted stripe off my boat when I had it delivered, so be carefull. The paint did have pinhead sized blisters which certainly made it easy for the tape to grab hold. Just saying....be careful.

Back on track. Selenium, I PM'd you a contact of a possible cover.

Carl C
11-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Good tips. Thanks. Selenium, any pics of the boat?

mrfixxall
11-20-2010, 01:15 PM
So many people complain about their covers coming off during towing,,i never had a problem with mine..I tow mine to the lake which is about a hour away and yes in go the highway route,towing speeds of 75mph for about 45 minutes then 45-5 mph for 15 minutes until get to the launch..10 years and counting never any issues..

Could be because my cock pit cover is made out of convertible top material which does not allow air in...

DonziJon
11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
You can also install "Pull-The-Dot" fasteners shown in the bottom pics. Externally these look identical to standard snaps, but will only release if pulled up on three sides. The forth side locks and can't be released. If installed with the locking side facing the oncoming wind, they will not release.

I believe the picture on the bottom looks like the three component parts of the "normal" canvas push snap.

"Lift The Dot' Fasteners:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4506&familyName=Lift+the+Dot+Fasteners.

My Minx has the normal push snaps on the tonneau cover and I tow with it at highway speeds for hours on end with no problems. No tape. The material is "Sunbrella" :lookaroun: DJ

Selenium
11-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Here's the boat minus the cover. Too cold to do anything in Seattle these days 44F now expecting snow any day now. So boat will be in the garage for awhile.

mc donzi
11-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Yeller's right... it's the one in picture #1

Dave

Selenium
11-20-2010, 02:24 PM
BTW...they don't want to pay or split with me on the cover...I told them talk to the owner. I will talk to the owner too but will give me a chance.

mrfixxall
11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
BTW...they don't want to pay or split with me on the cover...I told them talk to the owner. I will talk to the owner too but will give me a chance.

How did you pay for the shipping?? credit card,if so run a dispute and tell them what happened..

If i do a brake job on your car and the tire comes off and gets lost is it my fault?? you bet ya! and i would replace it + what ever damages..ask him for his insurance information,,that might get the ball rolling,,good luck.

ps make sure the boaat is winterised,,if its a 496 with closed cooling make sure the plugs are puller on the oil cooler and the heat exchanger then if the boat came with the air pump blow the heat exchanger out,,stable the fuel also..

Selenium
11-20-2010, 03:20 PM
I got the boat from Sundance and part of the agreement was deliver the boat to my house.

Carl C
11-20-2010, 04:30 PM
The covers are sunbrella and are not cheap. Mine comes off. The sides unsnap first and then the rest comes off if not taped across the front to keep the air out. Nice boat, is it solid blue? Shelby?

joseph m. hahnl
11-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I found that the original snap manufacturer for my cover went out of business:smash:.
I think that they were better snaps, than what are available in todays
world:frown:.

I suspect that is why the newer covers have trouble staying on.:yes:
Same trouble with the rear seat backs staying on too:confused:

Selenium
11-20-2010, 10:26 PM
This is the blue boat with 2 white strips and white bottom. All blue interior. This is the same boat in Seattle when Yeller saw it...it went to Portland...now bringing it back home :-). It has 496 HO with Bravo 1X. My understanding is this 06 was the precursor to the Shelby.

The covers are sunbrella and are not cheap. Mine comes off. The sides unsnap first and then the rest comes off if not taped across the front to keep the air out. Nice boat, is it solid blue? Shelby?

Selenium
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking I'm out $500-600. On the bright side...they didn't lose my back seat cushions...boat didn't fall off the trailer...someone didn't rear end my boat. I'm still pissy about the situation...but the more I think about it...the bigger my head ache gets.

I found that the original snap manufacturer for my cover went out of business:smash:.
I think that they were better snaps, than what are available in todays
world:frown:.

I suspect that is why the newer covers have trouble staying on.:yes:
Same trouble with the rear seat backs staying on too:confused:

BUIZILLA
11-21-2010, 06:37 AM
very few, if any, tow company's will even tow with a cockpit cover on in the first place, if they do, you would sign a release. if part of the deal was that they get the boat to you *as bought*, then they owe you a cover.

mc donzi
11-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Yeller's right... it's the one in picture #1

Dave

Just as a follow-up, if you decide to install these fasteners you will need to drill 2 small holes(supplier should know the size) on either side of the existing hole. MAKE SURE that you cover the area with masking tape before drilling so that you don't chip the fibreglass.

Dave

dsparis
11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
I tow at hi-speed with my cockpit cover on. My canvas guy put the twist fasteners between every other snap in front of the windshield. Wind would get under the canvas and pop the side snaps off. He then put stronger meaning harder to snap on snaps along the sides and I've never had a problem since.
I never knew there were different grades of snaps, they're even numbered. He could have put vents in but I did'nt want that.

Carl C
11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Let's see, you are in Washington and the boat came from Oregon? Not a huge distance. That cover is probably still laying near the road side somewhere. How about a road trip with a few spotters in the car?

mike o
11-21-2010, 09:31 AM
very few, if any, tow company's will even tow with a cockpit cover on in the first place, if they do, you would sign a release. if part of the deal was that they get the boat to you *as bought*, then they owe you a cover.That cover "came" with the boat deal. Ive used on of these 10' baby's on my 2 boats. Just place on top of the front snaps, folded face cloth under the buckle. Ba bing, ba boom, no worries........http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C6FAQ/ref=asc_df_B0000C6FAQ1328829?smid=A1UY1D8R2NF4AM&tag=dealtmp334860-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0000C6FAQ........:kingme:

mrfixxall
11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I tow at hi-speed with my cockpit cover on. My canvas guy put the twist fasteners between every other snap in front of the windshield. Wind would get under the canvas and pop the side snaps off. He then put stronger meaning harder to snap on snaps along the sides and I've never had a problem since.
I never knew there were different grades of snaps, they're even numbered. He could have put vents in but I did'nt want that.

Eddie did mine,,did he do yous to?

catch 22
11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Thank God..... It's about time!!!:-) :-)

fasttrucker
11-21-2010, 11:40 AM
I had a bad time with the guy who towed my boat.He used duck tape on the cover also.I looked up my posting about it and here it is http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25063 .....Seems like a long time ago.2002.

Selenium
11-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Catch22....like you didn't know.

Thank God..... It's about time!!!:-) :-)

catch 22
11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
What!!!!

yeller
11-21-2010, 09:48 PM
I believe the picture on the bottom looks like the three component parts of the "normal" canvas push snap.
"Lift The Dot' Fasteners:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4506&familyName=Lift+the+Dot+Fasteners.
My Minx has the normal push snaps on the tonneau cover and I tow with it at highway speeds for hours on end with no problems. No tape. The material is "Sunbrella" :lookaroun: DJ
DonziJon, the "Pull the Dot" fasteners in my pics do look like normal snaps, but they aren't. There is one side of the snap that you Can Not pull up and release them. You must pull up on one of the three other sides. (I know they're round but for lack of a better description, I just say they have four sides).

Selenium....I agree with the rest. If the seller arranged the shipping, they owe you a cover.

bizpoop.com
11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I just had my '06 delivered. Wife and girls think I have a screw loose since I like to just listen to it idle. Anyway.....my transporter warned me about transport with cover. Said it would most likely go bye by. I got my screwing though at the marina it was delivered to in Mt. Dora. The marina in NC inspected it top and bottom before it left, no damage.......I personally inspected when it arrived before it was unloaded, no damage.......Personally watched it unloaded and gently put in bunk for oil change. Picked it up a few days later (already in the water before I arrived) and wa la! Nice new gel coat chip the size of a dime along the port side chine. Ray Charles couldnt miss it. Instant double talk from the service supervisor I could quickly see it would be monumental aggravation to get them to own up to it. I've moved on.

bizpoop.com
11-22-2010, 03:26 PM
What I found once the boat lifted out of the water after driving it home from the marina.........

Tidbart
11-22-2010, 03:36 PM
That is easily fixed. The hardest part is color matching.

BTW. I see you are in FL. Hope you will join us for a small gathering during the weekend of the antique boat show in Tavares. Will post details as it gets closer, usually around the last weekend in March.

Bob

Selenium
11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
That sux!!!

What I found once the boat lifted out of the water after driving it home from the marina.........

CHACHI
11-22-2010, 06:36 PM
bizpoop, an easy fix. Mincraft gel paste. Get a hold of Mr. Carter and he can set you straight.

Ken

mrfixxall
11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
easy fixx but not gel, its paint..you will want to get it fixed asap,if water gets under the out lying area it will blister and you will have a whole lot more to fix..if its urathane and water gets under it it will come off in sheets..

bizpoop.com
11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
That is easily fixed. The hardest part is color matching.

BTW. I see you are in FL. Hope you will join us for a small gathering during the weekend of the antique boat show in Tavares. Will post details as it gets closer, usually around the last weekend in March.

Bob

Lake Eustis. I'd love to. Please try to remember to send me the dates. I rent the house during the winter while my kids are in school so I'll probably have to bunk up somewhere as same couple rent every March. My boat's new on the lake. I'm sure we will run into each other at some point. Fin's to a beer tower?

Tidbart
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Lake Eustis. I'd love to. Please try to remember to send me the dates. I rent the house during the winter while my kids are in school so I'll probably have to bunk up somewhere as same couple rent every March. My boat's new on the lake. I'm sure we will run into each other at some point. Fin's to a beer tower?

Fantastic. Keep your eye on the Events section of the board. I will post some details in Feb., most likely.

Bob

Selenium
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Update:

The dealer told me...they will give me $200 to help with the new cover. At this point the new cover will be $500-600. So he's helping out with 1/3 of the cost. I kindly accepted and told them to send me the check ASAP. It's better nothing and I better do it b4 they changed their mind. Cut my loses.

BUIZILLA
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
there's no reason a Sunbrella cockpit cover for a 22 should be over $300

bizpoop.com
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
easy fixx but not gel, its paint..you will want to get it fixed asap,if water gets under the out lying area it will blister and you will have a whole lot more to fix..if its urathane and water gets under it it will come off in sheets..

I'm pretty sure it's gel coat. Called the factory. Chuck pulled the file and gave me the gel coat manf and part #. Told me top and bottom are gel coat and stripes painted.

Carl C
11-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure it's gel coat. Called the factory. Chuck pulled the file and gave me the gel coat manf and part #. Told me top and bottom are gel coat and stripes painted.

All of the color on my boat is paint over white gel. 2005 22C

RickSE
11-24-2010, 10:13 AM

This is correct if it's a factory finish; all of the solid colored hull bottoms were gel-kote from the factory. Paint on the bottom is typically a no-no. This is why all the painted boats, like the 22-Shelby, have a white bottom. As Carl mentions they did paint the hull sides, transom, decks and stripes but never the bottom of the hull.

yeller
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
there's no reason a Sunbrella cockpit cover for a 22 should be over $300I'm on the same page as Buizilla. It would only take a 2~3 hours for an experienced upholsterer to make one. $500~600 seems pretty pricey.

Check around, it's a pretty simple project. It doesn't have to be done by a marine upholstery shop. Any automotive upholstery shop could do it as well.

mrfixxall
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM

in the pic it looks to be sparkly like paint,,theirs no metallic in gel coat unless they sprayed metal flake over the gell with clear..

Selenium
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Donzi wants $858.57 but I can get it for $730...snaps I have to put on myself.

Custom Cockpit Cover $950 or cheaper, with putting the snaps and brass twists.

I will look around some more. Dealer gave me $200 to cover the cost.

I'm on the same page as Buizilla. It would only take a 2~3 hours for an experienced upholsterer to make one. $500~600 seems pretty pricey.

Check around, it's a pretty simple project. It doesn't have to be done by a marine upholstery shop. Any automotive upholstery shop could do it as well.

LKSD
11-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Sunbrella or not 300 is no where near the average going rate for a good cover... It does take time to do it right. Also it is not just sunbrella needed to make these. ;) There is more than meets the eye when making a good cover that will last. :)

You need binding & snaps at minimum. The ones I make in house have webbing reinforcement for the snaps to go in so they wont easily pull thru. I have seen many covers get done without it. Then the snaps pull thru. Also we put padding in higher stress areas in our covers to help them last.. ;) :)

Jamie / Lakeside

BUIZILLA
11-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Sunbrella or not 300 is no where near the average going rate for a good cover... not down here, if you charge more than $350 for this your out of business... I have had 4 done for my 4 different Donzi's in the last 6 years, the Critter is a 2 piece with connecting zippers, supports, vent, and backing > $350, the 16, 18, Minx were all $300, I have over 15,000 miles towing the Critter with perfect success so far... any more than $350 here, and your labled a ripoff for life

LKSD
11-25-2010, 10:25 AM
not down here, if you charge more than $350 for this your out of business... I have had 4 done for my 4 different Donzi's in the last 6 years, the Critter is a 2 piece with connecting zippers, supports, vent, and backing > $350, the 16, 18, Minx were all $300, I have over 15,000 miles towing the Critter with perfect success so far... any more than $350 here, and your labled a ripoff for life

Sounds like you did very well then.. As is is not at all the case most other places.. As Even the factory charges more than double that for a basic OEM replacement.. ;) J

LKSD
11-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Im glad to see my price was good compared to what you were getting.. and not the higest prices you were given.. Have a good holiday D.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

mrfixxall
11-25-2010, 11:06 AM
my guy charged me like $300.00 for the one on the x18

DonziJon
11-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I got a quote for a tonneau cover for the Minx up at Lake Winni, NH in 1997 for $600.

A week later I got a quote in Newport, RI for $300. I went with it. It's still in excellent shape. I washed it summer 2009 for the first time and applied new water repellent. It's made of Sunbrella and has all the reinforcements Jamie mentioned including deerskin leather anti-chafing slits around four little cleats on the coaming that I use for hanging fenders. DJ

zelatore
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM
There are certainly differences in the quality of work between vendors. I'm sure Jamie's stuff is top notch for the price he charges. I also wouldn't be surprised if some little mom and pop canvas only shop couldn't do it a little cheaper since they likely don't have as much overhead. Not a slight against either operation, just a comment.

I had a large canvas/upholstery/interior/flooring/etc shop here in NorCal make a full sunbrella cover for a 19' bow rider a few years ago. Seems like it was about $1200. I'd guess doing a 22 cockpit cover with the same guy would be around $400. I later realized that vendor, although he does very nice work and has done lots of work for me and my clients, doesn't use Teflon thread so the seams UV degrade faster. Lately I've been using a little one-man shop who does just as nice or slightly better work and does it for less money. However, he doesn't have near the flexibility in his work, or speed of turn-around, as the big shop who can do pretty much anything related to soft goods on a yacht. (want a teak and holly deck? he can do it. Strata-glass? no problem. custom built seating? he's on it. the other guy just does canvas, though he does it well)

yeller
11-26-2010, 05:05 PM

$950! That's nuts!

I'm still with Buizilla on this one. I use to do upholstery professionally and admittedly $300 may be a bit low, but I wouldn't expect to have to pay more than $400........or maybe $500 if it's a large shop with high overhead. The cost for materials to make the cockpit cover is less than $100. So let's say the shop doubles the material price to sell retail. That's $200. Even if the shop rate was $100/hr, that's 7.5hrs to make the cover. Unless the guy is in training, he should be fired if he takes that long.

If you find a shop at $50/hr, 4hrs to make the cover and $200 for materials = $400.

CaribouLou
11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Congrats on the boat, I looked at it up at the old Olympic in Everett over the summer. Nice boat.