PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Trailer Guides

Offset
11-17-2010, 05:05 PM
I am hoping someone might have a suggestion to help with a concern I have with my 22' Classic. I have a Loadmaster Aluminum (Florida) trailer with carpeted bunks. When I purchased the boat we went for a test run but we had lots of trouble getting the boat back on the trailer to sit on the bunks level (the guy who owned the boat stored it in a boathouse so he did not use the trailer much). The ramp had a bit of a slope to the side but it is hard to find a level one around here.

I have some physical issues so trying to manhandle the boat on the trailer is tough. I am wondering if there is something available to help guide the boat on the trailer but would not rub on the hull when trailering?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Murray Adam

joseph m. hahnl
11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I am hoping someone might have a suggestion to help with a concern I have with my 22' Classic. I have a Loadmaster Aluminum (Florida) trailer with carpeted bunks. When I purchased the boat we went for a test run but we had lots of trouble getting the boat back on the trailer to sit on the bunks level (the guy who owned the boat stored it in a boathouse so he did not use the trailer much). The ramp had a bit of a slope to the side but it is hard to find a level one around here.

I have some physical issues so trying to manhandle the boat on the trailer is tough. I am wondering if there is something available to help guide the boat on the trailer but would not rub on the hull when trailering?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Murray Adam

Leave a little of both bunks sticking out of the water.Also some times you can kitty corner the trailer a little to keep the bunks level.

HIGH LIFE
11-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Offset, the guide poles that you can buy are the best ! Have them on both of my trailers, should not mark boat. When you install them keep the pole app. 2" from the rubrail, hull is wider midship. One time I was at a ramp , backed trailer in and was not even... went to another ramp. HIGH LIFE

Bobby D
11-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Agree with High Life guide poles are the way to go. Also aluminum trailers float so the guide poles help with alignment when you get out of whack with wind waves and ramp traffic.

Tidbart
11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Take some photos of the bunks with the boat on the trailer, and some without it, and post them here. Maybe there is a setup issue.

I don't use or need guide posts, personal preference I guess. I look at the tongue for alignment and sometimes stand in the middle of the boat to correct any list.

Bob

DonziJon
11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
BEFORE Any other considerations...and this dosn't cost anything...I hate Common Sense: When you back the trailer into the water..Make sure the trailers FENDERS are EQUALLY submerged in the water..usually with about 2-3 inches of the fenders ABOVE water level. The trailer should be LEVEL from side to side. :bonk: Just Sayin. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future. :nilly: :nilly: DJ

fogducker III
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
BEFORE Any other considerations...and this dosn't cost anything...I hate Common Sense: When you back the trailer into the water..Make sure the trailers FENDERS are EQUALLY submerged in the water..usually with about 2-3 inches of the fenders ABOVE water level. The trailer should be LEVEL from side to side. :bonk: Just Sayin. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future. :nilly: :nilly: DJ

+1

:thumbsup:

Offset
11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
I really appreciate your input, while I have owned boats for years this is the first "big" trailer boat I have had. I think a little experience and following your sound advice will help. I will take some pictures when I get the boat out of storage in the spring, maybe the set up is not just quite right.
Thanks again guys.

vlbob2
11-28-2010, 10:28 AM
if you go to your local trailer store they are probably selling trailers now with PVC covered bunks. The PVC covers are available separately and will replace the carpet and slide easier. I discovered PVC replacment when carpet rotted out old bunks. I have now replaced with PVC covers for an 8000# 25' Blackfin as well as Donzi Classic 18'. If you do this boats slide easier than roller bunks (when launching keep bow eye hooked to winch:crossfing: as the boat now slides easy enough for an unexpected launch) Now using PVC I've noticed THE SIDE BENEFIT OF SLIPPERY BUNKS IS THE BOAT SEEMS TO CENTER ITSELF BETTER.