PDA

View Full Version : 27 Magnum

farmer tx
11-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Anyone have info on this boat?

MDonziM
11-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Anyone have info on this boat?

Did you see the HIN# ? Not too many Starfires, only 30 or so made.

Greg
11-16-2010, 09:28 AM
It was on Lk. Geneva years ago. Rodger will know more about then me. I always lusted after that boat. Havn't seen it for a while, now I know wh;y. Nice boat, I think it had some small blocks in it. I always wondered what happened to it.

MDonziM
11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I was going to guess that it had small blocks based on the spread between center exaust holes. I think Magnum only made 4 or 5 with sb's.

TX , go for it, I love mine. Did you look at it in person, or just pics?

mphatc
11-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Over on OSO there is a copy of the hull numbers colors and date of manufacture in the Magnum section

Mario L.

farmer tx
11-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Did you see the HIN# ? Not too many Starfires, only 30 or so made.

I took the photos in person last wednesday. Notice the moss in the drain plug in the first post,dug it out and at least 75-100 gal water drained out over about 30 min. It needs a lot of work,and after my Criterion project I'm not up for that right now.Yes twin blown sm chevys and TRS drives. Hull # and bilge photo below. Boat is for sale to cover 13 years back storage.

Greg Guimond
11-16-2010, 10:12 PM
13 years?

farmer tx
11-16-2010, 10:55 PM
13 years?

The guy said it had been sitting in his fenced yard since 1998.:bonk:

MDonziM
11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Can't see the last digit in the hin but it should be a 1. According to the build sheet #404 was invoiced in 5/81, was red, and had small blocks. What was the guy asking for it?

mphatc
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
I'd be cautious . . the water from inside is enough to scare me . .

My 68 Magnum sat for 14 years, but was shrink wrapped and stayed dry inside. The way these boats were built there's lots of exposed wood inside from cut outs and motor mount holes that weren't sealed at assembly / build / rigging . . they've got to be spots where water can enter the wood . . This sounds to me like a deck off and new stringer rebuild . . . a proper marine survey is in order.

Mario

dammmagnum
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd be cautious . . the water from inside is enough to scare me . .

My 68 Magnum sat for 14 years, but was shrink wrapped and stayed dry inside. The way these boats were built there's lots of exposed wood inside from cut outs and motor mount holes that weren't sealed at assembly / build / rigging . . they've got to be spots where water can enter the wood . . This sounds to me like a deck off and new stringer rebuild . . . a proper marine survey is in order.

Mario

Mario

I have to agree with you, , may have to see how far up the water level went as some of the bulkdheads may need to be replaced also. would be so much easier and better, if they had just put a cover on it from the cockpit and engine bay
Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Well as someone that just spent 6 weeks gutting all the rotten wood out of Plum Crazy I can tell you its a big job if you dont like doing it and there is a fair amount of wood in there to rot!

Parnell

dammmagnum
11-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Well as someone that just spent 6 weeks gutting all the rotten wood out of Plum Crazy I can tell you its a big job if you dont like doing it and there is a fair amount of wood in there to rot!

Parnell

Hello Parnell,

Well as you said, you would know. you started with a fairly empty hull. With this Mag, you have to strip all the wiring, plumbing, hardware out of it before tackling the wood. could be talking transom, stringers, bulkhead and who knows what else. I am sure some one will pick it up as a project,, but then 13 years of storage fees??

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
11-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree Jim
Needs to be cheap as it will be a big project!

Parnell

Greg Guimond
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Amazing that a yard would not spend the 30 seconds needed to keep the plug hole clear over the years. What a shame especially if it is 1-of-30.

mphatc
11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I think someone should find out what the 13 year storage price is??? . . . regardless it's still only worth what it's worth or will sell for . . and the marina boat yard seller knows this . . then spend $200 on a marine survey, starting with assessment of the wood, bulkheads are easy, stringers are a killer on this boat.
Some creative thoughts on reconstruction are in order to have this rare boat at reasonable monies . .

Mario

Sweet Cheekz
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Save the 200 and assume its all wet then be pleasently suprised when something is dry :yes:

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Amazing that a yard would not spend the 30 seconds needed to keep the plug hole clear over the years. What a shame especially if it is 1-of-30.

There was so much water in Plum Crazy that even with the drainplug missing, and all other hardware for that matter, it still took 20 minutes to drain when I got it home after 800 miles and no rain.:bonk:

Parnell

farmer tx
11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Definitely a deck off. I have my second deck off waiting in the wings, 84 Hornet III,transom recored and cut for Bravo,stringers replaced,cockpit recored,dash filled in,new fuel tank,total regelcoat. What I was impressed with was that ALL the origional hardware that I could see was THERE. Period correct hardware means a lot on any kind of restoration.

farmer tx
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
can't see the last digit in the hin but it should be a 1. According to the build sheet #404 was invoiced in 5/81, was red, and had small blocks. What was the guy asking for it?

mag274040281

dammmagnum
11-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Save the 200 and assume its all wet then be pleasently suprised when something is dry :yes:

Parnell

Parnell
I agree, assume the worst and then work from that point.
just have to figure out what the storage charges are for 13 years and is all the drive and parts are still there.
It sounds like its been already painted once as the Hull # comes up red with 260HP Mercs.

Thank you
jim

mphatc
11-18-2010, 08:00 AM
A deck off on this boat is not like a Donzi. The hull and deck are joined by numerous bulkheads, the floor is glassed to the hull at the chines . . . .

hence my comment on creative thinking to rebuild . . I've had decks off on power boats and sailboats, this one would be a HUGE project with lots of grinding and rebuilding . . .

Mario