PDA

View Full Version : black hawk drive

craigdskilling
11-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I would really like to find a black hawk drive for my 18 donzi.Have a alpha pushing 400+ hp.How much would a complete bolt on to boat drive cost and does anybody have one for sale.Or is there another way to go.thanks craig.

fogducker III
11-14-2010, 09:20 AM
I would really like to find a black hawk drive for my 18 donzi.Have a alpha pushing 400+ hp.How much would a complete bolt on to boat drive cost and does anybody have one for sale.Or is there another way to go.thanks craig.

There is a guy on OSO who has FIVE Blackhawk units for sale....:yes:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/swap-shop/241961-blackhawk-drive-sale.html

MOP
11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
To get the full benefit of the Blackhawk the X dimension needs to be raised, that requires raising the engine building a new raised hatch. If you just slap the drive on you will give up a lot of top end.

This is just one topic: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51962&highlight=18+blackhawk

There are quite a few posts it is worth your time to do some searching!

With the standard X you will give up (Guesstimate) about 7mph, it is essential that only the skeg and prop blades are in the water. If any portion of the gear case in in the water flow it produces stern lift reducing speed and can in certain instances cause bow steer.

craigdskilling
11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
My donzi is a85 does that have a higher x already.My hatch is already cut to make room for the new engine in there now with the high rise intake.Im happy with my alpha runs great i just would like to now that im getting the most out of my power.Im in the 70s spinning a25 labbed mirrage to 6000rpm with no problem. so if i change to the black hawk i would have to re cut the out drive hole higher and raise the engine also.that sounds like a big job.:boggled:

craigdskilling
11-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Should I be looking for a alpha ss.

22times2
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I would I installed an alfa ss on my previous 22c it would pin the speedo at wot but would not get out of the hole for beans.until i installed a land and sea stearn jack.boat was fast and stable after that.good luck regards mike.

craigdskilling
11-18-2010, 05:34 PM
22times what is a stern and jack thing.:boggled:sorry confused.and where con i find a ss for sale, also does the alpha bolt onto the alpha housing and do i have to do a differnt water pick up.thanks craig.

yeller
11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.jack-plate.com/jackplate-manufacturers/land-and-sea/

No longer made, but you can still find them for sale now and then.

craigdskilling
11-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the video but how does this work for a in board.

22times2
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
HI graig let me explain an alfa ss is much shorter than a reg alfa drive.what I experienced was when i installed the alfa ss coming out of the hole it would just blow a big hole in the water till the bow started to settle in the drive would get air causing it to cavitate just blowing air and water for quite a while babying the throttle back and forth till the boat started to plain but when it did she would really go.by installing the land and sea stearnjack in set the drive back approx 10 inches letting the prop get clean water.It is a direct bolt on item as a kit the only thing you would need to do is weld on the ram extensions.This would most likely be your best bet to increase top end speed and decrease your drag.Early this summer i installed a new blackhawk on my 05 22c my boat came with the x already raised so it helped my situation.I do like the blackhawk over the bravo but there are trade offs good and not so good right glenn (yeller) any other questions PM me.regards mike.OH jerry had an alfa ss in the parts section for sale look him up.regards mike.

craigdskilling
11-23-2010, 08:04 PM
22times2 would i have the same problem if i went blackhawk way.

22times2
11-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi Graig.you will not have that problem with the blackhawk.The drawbacks i have seen with the blackhawk are docking when you slam it into gear it moves the boat instantly and fast.when you put into gear it leaps as you have 2 props moving the boat.Also when you idle in gear the boat speed is approx 5-6 mph it cruises forward.but with that said the boat runs very stable at high speeds and that is what is most important to me.the blackhawk is designed to have only half the props in the water at speed.less drag more speed.by not having the raised x you will be dragging more lower unit.the center of the nose cone needs to be inline with the bottom of the hull.there is alot of experience on this site more than I know.start a new thread in the performance section and see where it goes.regards mike.:wink: