PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyle gang gets slammed!

fasttrucker
11-14-2010, 06:26 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101114/ap_on_re_us/us_motorcycles_crash
I guess it was a bike club(not a gang,as in my title):nilly:.Ive seen a lot of dead bikers driving around this country.I saw a guy pinned under a semi truck trailer,look as he was in a lot of pain.:bonk:Those ninja guys screaming down a highway over 100 mph are nuts:eek:.Ive seen them run from the cops and dead on the side of the road.Iam not trying to start a fight here,I stay off the road on my time off/you would to if you drove:convertib: 14 hours a day,5-days a week 52 weeks a year,2 more years and ill have 3-million miles in,......just happy I own a donzi!

Carl C
11-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Not long after I got my driver's license I came upon an accident scene. A motorcyclist was hit by a Kroger truck. The bike was mangled but the horror was that the rider was torn into two pieces, both covered with sheets but the guts and blood were in plain view strewn between the body halves. That's something you never forget.

HOWARD O
11-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I used to ride my dirtbike in Ocotillo about every weekend and am very familiar with that road. What a dang shame and fleeing the scene of something like that is just beyond criminal. :frown:

HOWARD O
11-14-2010, 09:59 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101114/ap_on_re_us/us_motorcycles_crash
I guess it was just a bike club:nilly:.Ive seen a lot of dead bikers driving around this country.I saw a guy pinned under a semi truck trailer,look as he was in a lot of pain.:bonk:Those ninja guys screaming down a highway over 100 mph are nuts:eek:.Ive seen them run from the cops and dead on the side of the road.Iam not trying to start a fight here,I stay off the road on my time off/you would to if you drove:convertib: 14 hours a day,5-days a week 52 weeks a year,2 more years and ill have 3-million miles in,......just happy I own a donzi!

I've seen a lot of people in cars driving like morons. This was a bike club celebrating their 10th Anniversary. Obviously, if they were out in the desert, pretty much in the middle of nowhere on a cruise and being passed by an a-hole in a car that actually RAN THEM OVER, doesn't sound to me like they were riding anywhere near reckless. The driver of the CAR was reckless. But here you go on and on about how many reckless and dead motorcyclists you've seen. :confused:

Five innocent people were killed here by a guy in a car that fled the scene and all you've got to say are negative things about the victims? That's real nice and so out of place. Glad you're not trying to start a fight though. Idiot. :boggled:

DannyK
11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
It was a reckless CAR driver that killed the innocent bike riders.The CAR driver then fled the scene without rendering aid. Statistics show that the majority of motorcycle deaths are caused by automobile drivers. (who often claim that they "didn't see" the motorcyclist.) I have riden bikes since the 70s and boats since 1969. I am a charter member of the Harley Owners Group. H.O.G. promotes safety with advanced rider training. Number one for me is look out for cars and asshole truckers !

fogducker III
11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
READ the story folks, a car passed the bikers and forced another car off the road losing control, veered back across the road and hit the bikes....

Driver was pissed, woman passenger killed and four bikers killed, two men and two women......

The gold Honda that caused the mess fled the scene and to date has not been found.....:garfield:

DannyK
11-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Yes Fog, that's the car driver I was referring to. The one who carelessly passed a group of riders on a 2 lane road and forced another car to avoid a head-on collision and lose control. God Bless the victim's souls.

86fxst
11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I was going to take my skooter :newzealand:out for a putt today until I read this thread. The weather here has been in the 70's the last couple of days with no wind or clouds; quite exceptional for Northern VA. Anyway, I changed my mind and blew the cob webs out of the old Corvette.:convertib:

fasttrucker
11-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I've seen a lot of people in cars driving like morons. This was a bike club celebrating their 10th Anniversary. Obviously, if they were out in the desert, pretty much in the middle of nowhere on a cruise and being passed by an a-hole in a car that actually RAN THEM OVER, doesn't sound to me like they were riding anywhere near reckless. The driver of the CAR was reckless. But here you go on and on about how many reckless and dead motorcyclists you've seen. :confused:

Five innocent people were killed here by a guy in a car that fled the scene and all you've got to say are negative things about the victims? That's real nice and so out of place. Glad you're not trying to start a fight though. Idiot. :boggled:
Gee wiz guys.........I saw this story and posted it because it was Interesting.I didnt say anything negative about the victims.I think it is worthy of discussion.Like I said,Iam not trying to start a fight.If you dont like it.SORRY.I didnt say "that the bike club was in the wrong" and I did not say "If the bikes stayed home no one would now be dead."

fasttrucker
11-14-2010, 04:45 PM
It was a reckless CAR driver that killed the innocent bike riders.The CAR driver then fled the scene without rendering aid. Statistics show that the majority of motorcycle deaths are caused by automobile drivers. (who often claim that they "didn't see" the motorcyclist.) I have riden bikes since the 70s and boats since 1969. I am a charter member of the Harley Owners Group. H.O.G. promotes safety with advanced rider training. Number one for me is look out for cars and asshole truckers !
There wasnt a truck in this story but if a truck was hit by a car or bike then the lawyers would sue the truck drivers insurance company as we are reguired to have 1-million dollars in coverage.The lawyers go after the money.I think that The Harley Owners Group should promote safety with its advanced rider training.Maybe Number one should be not hogging up the road riding slowly in groups so some impatient car driver would not try and pass causing a major wreck.If I was there sitting high up in the cab,seeing the whole thing go down,I would back off and avoid the mess.Then I would call 911 and try to block the road so other cars would not crash into each other.It would slow me down to my delivery location and I might be late.Maybe losing a good paying load going home.End of this story for me is I dont like driving(on the highway for fun) and will never buy a motorcycle or a motorhome......I did not say or care what YOU DO.......Its your life.

zelatore
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
It's pretty well known here I'm a rider and that I tend to ride at a sporting pace. Less well known is that earlier this summer I had an off while pressing along in the hills and got myself pretty banged up including a couple broken bones.

The first thing I wanted to do was get back on the bike.
(well, not that bike, it's rather a mess, but my other one)

Thanks to a cast then wrist surgery I wasn't able to get right back on, but I've been out since, slowly regaining strength in my arm and rebuilding my riding skills/endurance.

I'm not going to address the article here, but more the idea that motorcycles are dangerous and scary. They can be, but so can anything we do. My accident was due to a number of things including some rather poor road design but the basic cause was down to me going fast. Had I been poking along slowly I wouldn't have gone down. But I don't like to go slow, bike or not. Had I been driving, I'd have been going just as fast, and would likely have had similar results. Maybe without the broken bones, but then again in this particular situation maybe so.

On this forum we may not all be riders (I'll avoid the term 'biker' as that carries a certain image that I don't care for) or sports car fans, but we all share a passion for fast, and arguably dangerous, boats.

Would those who see bikes as too dangerous all think we should all tool around in 'toons? Certainly you're unlikely to be ejected from your 'toon if you time a wake poorly. There's no denying something like a 'toon or family deckboat is safer than a little hot rod like a Donzi, just as a minivan or SUV is safer than a bike. Or is there?

The bottom line is things are as dangerous as the person in charge of them, weather we're talking about bikes, boats, guns, or whathaveyou. You can be killed riding your Harley in a parade of your peers at 10 below the speed limit just as easily as pushing yourself on a winding mountain road on a sport bike. Or driving your minivan to work and and trying to make a stale yellow. You're responsible for your own safety whatever you choose to do - don't blame the choice of transport for the damage done.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I find the 1/8 mile pack of Harleys blocking the road pretty da#n annoying...just like the SUV driving down the road holding up 6 or 10 other vehicles because they think they're going fast enough, thankyouverymuch.

fasttrucker
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
I just saw a news report on the story on NBC nightly news.....Very sad.

BUIZILLA
11-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I think that The Harley Owners Group should promote safety with its advanced rider training.Maybe Number one should be not hogging up the road riding slowly in groups so some impatient car driver would not try and pass causing a major wreck..End of this story for me is I dont like driving(on the highway for fun) and will never buy a motorcycle or a motorhome......I did not say or care what YOU DO.......Its your life.for the record, H.O.G promotes a LOT of sefety causes.. and if the group is riding the speed limit, what gives you the right to question what they do, and how they do it? oh, and I own a Harley and a motorhome... you obviously don't respect the lifestyle that goes with other journey's.. all you care about is yourself

fasttrucker
11-14-2010, 10:02 PM
for the record, H.O.G promotes a LOT of sefety causes.. and if the group is riding the speed limit, what gives you the right to question what they do, and how they do it? oh, and I own a Harley and a motorhome... you obviously don't respect the lifestyle that goes with other journey's.. all you care about is yourself
You got me.,all I care about is myself....Man cant you see.......I saw this story on the Internet and wanted to talk about it.I thought donzi posters would maybe post here and talk about it.I have a different take on it,as a truck driver,Ive seen it all..............dead people lots of them.Iam kind of sick of it.Ill see some more this winter to be sure,,,,,...............

fasttrucker
11-14-2010, 10:44 PM
This is a story about a guy in prison for killing a kid,who is sueing the parents for not making the kid wear a helmet! In a sick way I see his point, the kid was using a jump ramp that went out into a highway http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101114/ap_on_re_us/us_suing_the_victims;_ylt=AtrsKU3bP8gC5CMEUtmaMvVW _b4F;_ylu=X3oDMTNuaW0zODJuBGFzc2V0Ay9zL2FwLzIwMTAx MTE0L2FwX29uX3JlX3VzL3VzX3N1aW5nX3RoZV92aWN0aW1zBG Njb2RlA21wX2VjXzhfMTAEY3BvcwM0BHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bl90 b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDZHJpdmVyaW5mYXRh

DannyK
11-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Can't we all just get along ? :popcorn:

yeller
11-14-2010, 11:00 PM
fasttrucker, no problem in posting a news article, but it did sound to me like you were slamming bikers. After reading your post, I was under the impression that a group of idiot bikers had caused their own death. Then I read some of the responses and realized that wasn't the case.

The tone was set mostly in your first sentence. "I guess it was just a bike club". Made it sound like it was no big deal. As who cares.

I doubt you meant it that way, but that's how it sounds.

Edit: Now I see your comment "...just a bike club" is refering to your title that it was a "bike gang". Makes more sense, but in any case, I did misinterpret your posting. Perhaps you could reword it so it doesn't appear as a slam against bikers.

gcarter
11-15-2010, 05:57 AM
I have a problem w/all folks that don't drive responsibly.
I live close enough to Daytona that we see a lot of LARGE groups of riders during their two annual events, not to mention the local event here in Leesburg. They certainly do tend to clog up the roads, many times going 10-15 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit and occupying all lanes of traffic. It's frustrationg if you're a local trying to get a job done taking care of customers. The riders are all on vacation, and we're not.
OTOH, the Snow Birds are back! They are capable of doing the same thing, only not in groups of 100 or more. All it takes is two of them to effectively stop all reasonable forward motion.
I have no problem w/folks that want to travel at a comfortable speed for them, after all, I don't want them to do something stupid at a speed they can't handle. They should just stay in the right lane and leave the left lane clear for the rest of us.

mike o
11-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey, Don sorry to here about your mishap. You on the triumph?

Carl C
11-15-2010, 07:53 AM
The report in today's local paper indicates that the car that hit group of riders was at fault, not the car that passed them.

In Alaska, where many tourists like to drive slow and enjoy the view and wildlife, they have signs on some of the scenic roads that say "Back up of 5 or more vehicles illegal, use pull-offs". You MUST pull onto a scenic pull-off area to let the cars pass.

Cuda
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I lived outside of Daytona for six years. Every year they would have about a dozen bikers get killed. Most of them were alcohol related. I had two Harleys and a Suzuki at the same time. I'm glad I got that out of my system while I was still alive. I have an old time buddy who lives in Daytona who drinks like a fish on his bike. His Harley is all he's about. I knew a guy here in St Pete that had a girl riding on the back, she said something and he turned to see what she said. He hit the curb, the girl was thrown free, his bike fell on top of him, caught on fire, and burned him up. In a car the worse he would have had is a bent wheel.

tmh
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
If you reread the original post there is nothing derogatory about bikers or others that warrants name calling. If you reread what was said and reflect you may realize who is the idiot and use some common sense before throwing insults. I know I have anger management issues and reading the occassional insults over minor misinterpretations gives me comfort knowing others can be a bigger jerk than I am at times.
T.M. Hayes

fasttrucker
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
fasttrucker, no problem in posting a news article, but it did sound to me like you were slamming bikers. After reading your post, I was under the impression that a group of idiot bikers had caused their own death. Then I read some of the responses and realized that wasn't the case.
The tone was set mostly in your first sentence. "I guess it was just a bike club". Made it sound like it was no big deal. As who cares.
I doubt you meant it that way, but that's how it sounds.
Edit: Now I see your comment "...just a bike club" is refering to your title that it was a "bike gang". Makes more sense, but in any case, I did misinterpret your posting. Perhaps you could reword it so it doesn't appear as a slam against bikers.
Ok,I did that,thanks and I did ride a dirt bike as a kid.I loved it!

fasttrucker
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
The report in today's local paper indicates that the car that hit group of riders was at fault, not the car that passed them.
In Alaska, where many tourists like to drive slow and enjoy the view and wildlife, they have signs on some of the scenic roads that say "Back up of 5 or more vehicles illegal, use pull-offs". You MUST pull onto a scenic pull-off area to let the cars pass.
In my paper today,The driver( Carlos Ramirez Bobadilla ) who hit the riders was drinking."Its not clear if he was responsible for the deaths based on evidence collected so far."My guess is he could have avoided the crash if his reflexes were not imparied.

Craig S
11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
I read that a few days ago. Very sad.

I ride, though. MotoGuzzis and a vintage Honda.

Some groups won't let you pass, be they Harley groups, GoldWingers, or...trikes (can't think of others that travel in groups). And many ride at or below the speed limit (ie below the normal traffic flow).

If they don't let you pass, it becomes very dangerous with a large group.

There's an article in, I believe, Motorcyclist last month, and it talks about that. The editor was forced and went off the road. Ruined his leg and his bike.

However, this is still a very sad occurrence.

And, I realize, I wasn't there, so I don't know any of the particulars. These people could have been going 5 above or so the speed limit, not hindering traffic, and allowing people to pass.

I'm just saying...

I'll be in the hillcountry next week on one of the guzzis.

Just Say N20
11-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Serious death wish. I like to go "responsibly" fast as much as anyone. This guy is nuts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/video-moscow-motorcyclists-crazy-high-speed-commute/#continued

Ed Donnelly
11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't believe that is real.. Not one person jerked their wheel in panic???/Ed

zelatore
11-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey, Don sorry to here about your mishap. You on the triumph?

Yeah, the older café bike not the Speed Triple. Actually, had I been on the S3 I 'might' have made it as it's a much more capable bike and I'm more comfortable on it. Certainly no guarantee though. Heck, I might just have been going faster approaching the accident had I been on that bike.

I read that a few days ago. Very sad.

I ride, though. MotoGuzzis and a vintage Honda.

Some groups won't let you pass, be they Harley groups, GoldWingers, or...trikes (can't think of others that travel in groups). And many ride at or below the speed limit (ie below the normal traffic flow).

If they don't let you pass, it becomes very dangerous with a large group.

There's an article in, I believe, Motorcyclist last month, and it talks about that. The editor was forced and went off the road. Ruined his leg and his bike.

However, this is still a very sad occurrence.

And, I realize, I wasn't there, so I don't know any of the particulars. These people could have been going 5 above or so the speed limit, not hindering traffic, and allowing people to pass.

I'm just saying...

I'll be in the hillcountry next week on one of the guzzis.

Guzzis. Cool!

I also saw that article in Motorcyclist. Wasn't that a 'gang' of stunters he was passing?

And frankly, I don't care if you're going the speed limit, faster, or slower; if a faster vehicle comes up behind you you should try to let them past regardless of your speed.

But this is America, where we're all above average drivers and everybody going faster than you is a maniac and everybody going slower than you is an a$$hole.

Craig S
11-17-2010, 11:08 AM
But this is America, where we're all above average drivers and everybody going faster than you is a maniac and everybody going slower than you is an a$$hole.[/quote]

Its amazing we get anywhere with all the maniacs and a$$holes, isn't it!

I heard that on click and clack..the tappet brothers. Laughed my a$% off!!!!

zelatore
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
But this is America, where we're all above average drivers and everybody going faster than you is a maniac and everybody going slower than you is an a$$hole.

Its amazing we get anywhere with all the maniacs and a$$holes, isn't it!

I heard that on click and clack..the tappet brothers. Laughed my a$% off!!!![/quote]

It's an old line. I don't remember where I first heard it.

I can assure you it WASN'T on click and clack though. I hate those guys...I realize they're more entertainment than information, but really they don't seem to provide ANY useful information to the callers, instead they just laugh at them for buying such a stupid car if it's anything other than a white-bread sedan.

Caveat: I haven't actually heard them at all in years. Maybe the show is different now.

Ghost
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
It's an old line. I don't remember where I first heard it.

I don't know where it started, but I do believe the first I heard it was in the late 70s on George Carlin's "Class Clown" album.

zelatore
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
You know, I think Carlin might have been where I heard it first now that you mention it. Certainly seem like one of his lines, doesn't it?

Craig S
11-19-2010, 11:39 AM
[/quote]
Caveat: I haven't actually heard them(click/clack) at all in years. Maybe the show is different now.[/quote]

Naw, its the same-o-same-o. Definitely not for anything technical.

A Speed Triple is an awesome bike. We were all riding to a funeral (what was I preaching about group rides!) Wed nite...me on a hot rod Centauro, a whole *&^%load of newer Bonnies, one Norton, acouple other guzzis and...these two Speed Triples! I might as well have been riding a Vespa compared to those two!