PDA

View Full Version : volvo 270 leg upgrade

donzi fonzi
11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
hi has any one had a 270 leg on there 16ft donzi and upgrade it something newer ive got a 289 ford with a 270 leg

thanks

Dan

MOP
11-14-2010, 07:57 AM
If it is working Ok which 99 and 44/100% do leave it alone and enjoy! The Volvo drives have more than proven themselves durability wise time and time again, there are 30 year old ones with upwards of 400 HP running through them many for quite a few years. If you were to keep score I bet the ratio of puked black drives compared Volvo would be 20+ to 1, if you do forge forward stick with Volvo. I was a Volvo tech for many years I felt like the May Tag man, for the most part the only things that go bad are the bellows, upper and prop shaft seals, u joints on occasion. They have a shear coupling that that lets go to protect the gears if you hit something which can be changed out in about 45 min to an hour, and have the best oil circulation in the industry. When Volvo's patents ran out years back Mercury copied much of the internal design, they in my eyes still don't have it quite right. OMC and Volvo forged a partnership in the late 80's, OMC used there metallurgy and machining techniques, they have also proven to be an exceptional drive holding more HP then the Merc's. God I love these VOLVO rants!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

donzi fonzi
11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
thanks for the info