PDA

View Full Version : Cool Video Of 22Cs Running Lake Michigan

Carl C
11-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I stumbled onto this while poking around you-tube. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lln6FAHkqEk

Marlin275
11-13-2010, 10:38 AM
That is a great Donzi video

very good camera work

shows the value of moving the camera around

usually all we get is wind noise and a bumpy shot of the GPS

HOWARD O
11-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Great video. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of flak for saying this and I can't say if it was the drivers or not, but that Aronow Edition was far outclassed by the ride of the "old" 22. He smoked that red boat in the rough stuff. :yes:

Tony
11-13-2010, 03:39 PM
That video is shot with a sweet camera. It can be mounted to your head, or the bow, or even on the front of a surfboard or water ski. Brad from White Lake owns it, and he has shot some really cool video with it. The AE, btw, is Jeff's from Grand Rapids.

MOP
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I think a AE was trimmed out too much for conditions.

Just Say N20
11-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Brad's got a sweet running 22. I don't remember if it is an 86 or 87, but it is an Alpha mated to a 454. It runs great. One of the best cruising Donzis I have ever been in. 47 mph @ 3,000 rpms. All day long. Effortlessly. :cool!:

Jeff's (Bald Eagle) AE is about 10 mph faster, but can be a real handful. There must be some very big differences between those 2 hulls and set up. Jeff's boat requires a LOT of tab to have a chance of running flat. Some very knowledgeable folks believe a shorty on that boat would cure most/all its handling quirks. I'm not speaking negatively about Jeff's boat at all. It is gorgeous. It just drives differently than any Donzis I have encountered.

Carl C
11-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Having spent a lot of time on the Great Lakes I can tell you that water was rougher than it looks! :nilly:

Greg Guimond
11-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Really cool video. Does anyone know how you stop the youtube clip and save the still as a picture? Those hulls look great.

Marlin275
11-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Really cool video. Does anyone know how you stop the youtube clip and save the still as a picture? Those hulls look great.

Hi Greg

I just went full screen mode

stop to still image and

took a screen shot

HOWARD O
11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Brad's got a sweet running 22. I don't remember if it is an 86 or 87, but it is an Alpha mated to a 454. It runs great. One of the best cruising Donzis I have ever been in. 47 mph @ 3,000 rpms. All day long. Effortlessly. :cool!:

Jeff's (Bald Eagle) AE is about 10 mph faster, but can be a real handful. There must be some very big differences between those 2 hulls and set up. Jeff's boat requires a LOT of tab to have a chance of running flat. Some very knowledgeable folks believe a shorty on that boat would cure most/all its handling quirks. I'm not speaking negatively about Jeff's boat at all. It is gorgeous. It just drives differently than any Donzis I have encountered.

Bill, that 22 sure is a great running boat. Do you know what he has for power? I was just in my boat 2 hours ago and I can manage exactly 36 mph at 3,000 rpm and I was all by my lonesome too. He must have some pitch and some power, mine is 24 pitch and pretty low hp at this point.

I don't doubt Carl, I'm sure that the conditions are definitely rougher than they look. It always looks much more tame on video!

joseph m. hahnl
11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't doubt Carl, I'm sure that the conditions are definitely rougher than they look. It always looks much more tame on video!

Looks pretty rough to me! :eek:

I think a AE was trimmed out too much for conditions.

:yes:

Just Say N20
11-13-2010, 10:31 PM
It is a stock 454 Mercruiser. I don't know what the lower unit ratio is, or what he runs for a prop.

There have been discussions before about the 1986/87 classic 22s having a higher X-dimension. I don't know what his is, but it is a great running boat.

It seems I remember one outing last summer with 5 of us on board and 3/4 fuel and still hitting 64 gps mph.

Sweet Cheekz
11-14-2010, 09:02 AM
[quote=Just Say N20;582936]Jeff's (Bald Eagle) . Some very knowledgeable folks believe a shorty on that boat would cure most/all its handling quirks.quote]

Without question a 2" shortie fixes that problem from my recent experiences

Hope to be running along side you guys at some point next summer

Parnell

Carl C
11-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Count me in for a Lake Michigan run. :)

ITTLFLI
11-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Bill, that 22 sure is a great running boat. Do you know what he has for power? I was just in my boat 2 hours ago and I can manage exactly 36 mph at 3,000 rpm and I was all by my lonesome too. He must have some pitch and some power, mine is 24 pitch and pretty low hp at this point.

Cool vid!:yes:

If I am not mistaken the "filming" boat is my old boat. I sold it to Brad back around 2000 or so. It was a cool little 22. Honey and Navy color. It does have the 454 alpha combo but was very reliable for me and I had no issues with it. I tried all sort of props on that boat but I could not beat the performance of the stock "unknown manufacturer" prop. The boat ran in the high 60's but tached really low rpms. I want say 4200 or so.....:shades:

roadtrip se
11-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I was talking to Jerry Eisele on Friday and he mentioned coming up for another Michigan run. Atomic Carl and Patti, Jill and I, did one out of Charlevoix about a month ago and had a great fall day, in condtions similar to the ones in the video. Awesome run.

As for the AE, that boat should not be doing that. I have some other ideas about how to settle it down. The shortie would be a start, but it is a band-aid, in my opinion. Jeff, aka Bald Eagle, if you see this, reach out to me via PM, and I'll throw you a list of things to check, that I have seen work for others recently.

Tyler22classic
11-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Count me in for a Lake Michigan run. :)
Hi Carl,
My name Gregg Wright I live on Watkins Lake this summer I purchased a 22 classic, my boy's and I have followed your post and pictures of the various modifications that you have done on your 22. We were wondering we could come over sometime and check out your boat?, next summer we would like to join you on Lake St. Clair or one of the great lakes.

My cell is 248-933-5280.
thanks,
Gregg

LKSD
11-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Cool clip.. :)

I also think that the higher x set ups on the 22's seem to run a bit better and handle a little better, at least on most.. :)

Carl C
11-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Carl,
My name Gregg Wright I live on Watkins Lake this summer I purchased a 22 classic, my boy's and I have followed your post and pictures of the various modifications that you have done on your 22. We were wondering we could come over sometime and check out your boat?, next summer we would like to join you on Lake St. Clair or one of the great lakes.

My cell is 248-933-5280.
thanks,
Gregg

Always glad to show it off. It's winterized but uncovered in the garage. I'll shoot you a call. I boat week-days btw.

craigdskilling
11-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Carl I would love to join you guys next year for a run.I live in kitchener ont not to far away.I have a 18 that should be alright for the waters you think.craig.:lookaroun:

Carl C
11-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Carl I would love to join you guys next year for a run.I live in kitchener ont not to far away.I have a 18 that should be alright for the waters you think.craig.:lookaroun: Well someone has to put this together. I used to say no way an 18 could run some of this water but I've been surprised what they can do. I don't know. Lake Michigan can get pretty bad where you don't want to be out there in a 22 either. I'm sure you'd be welcome though.

Sweet Cheekz
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I was talking to Jerry Eisele on Friday and he mentioned coming up for another Michigan run. Atomic Carl and Patti, Jill and I, did one out of Charlevoix about a month ago and had a great fall day, in condtions similar to the ones in the video. Awesome run.

ently.

Boyne Thunder is the second weekend of July on Lake Charlevoix and we had three or four Donzis there last year We don't run in the fun run, we just run along side and head over to Bay Harbor for lunch Great fun, great weather and awesome boating. That would be a fun time to have a group meet up as there is a lot of fun fast boats to see and follow including a few beautiful big Donzis. The water is swimmable by then and if you catch a calm day, like glass 5 of the last 8 years we can run all over.

Parnell

Tony
11-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Boyne Thunder is the second weekend of July on Lake Charlevoix and we had three or four Donzis there last year We don't run in the fun run, we just run along side and head over to Bay Harbor for lunch Great fun, great weather and awesome boating. That would be a fun time to have a group meet up as there is a lot of fun fast boats to see and follow including a few beautiful big Donzis. The water is swimmable by then and if you catch a calm day, like glass 5 of the last 8 years we can run all over.

Parnell

One way to do this, if the Boyne City area is too crowded, would be to launch at East Jordan. It's at the south end of the South Arm of Lake Charlevoix, might not be as crowded, and is a very scenic stretch of the lake.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'll try and remember to circle it on my busy summer calendar!

oledawg
11-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Ummmm, if I was in that kind of water at that speed my passengers would be wearing some sort of PFD.....guess that I might be an ole foogie though :cool!: It is a cool video and I do agree that the red boat was doing a lot more "flying" than it probably should :nilly:

roadtrip se
11-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Parnell

Parnell, great idea on the Boyne Thunder run. We'll have to get a couple of weekends marked on the calendar for next summer and start praying to the weather gods.

Sweet Cheekz
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
One way to do this, if the Boyne City area is too crowded, would be to launch at East Jordan. It's at the south end of the South Arm of Lake Charlevoix, might not be as crowded, and is a very scenic stretch of the lake.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'll try and remember to circle it on my busy summer calendar!

Tony
We always do a run down to East Jordan but its fun to be in Boyne City during the run as they have a nice little "village" set up with all the boats and trucks ect. Everyone parties there after the run and hangs out I just leave the boat on the trailer at night and haul it the 500 yards to the motel. Good times
Parnell