PDA

View Full Version : frozen steering

thatgirl
11-13-2010, 06:47 AM
hi can anyone tell me how i can go about freeing my steering on my 18 foot donzi classic. it has a mercury #one drive 1980. i removed cable from helm that turns freely but the drive is frozen. i have greased all fitings and sprayed wd40 but it takes almost all i have to move drive back and forth.any help will be great.

mrfixxall
11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
hi can anyone tell me how i can go about freeing my steering on my 18 foot donzi classic. it has a mercury #one drive 1980. i removed cable from helm that turns freely but the drive is frozen. i have greased all fitings and sprayed wd40 but it takes almost all i have to move drive back and forth.any help will be great.

remove the cable from the power steering, and try it,the cable is what usually freezes. if not then you are going to have to disassemble the gimbal,the center shaft is probably seized..

thatgirl
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
can i use heat to free it
remove the cable from the power steering, and try it,the cable is what usually freezes. if not then you are going to have to disassemble the gimbal,the center shaft is probably seized..

Cuda
11-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I had one freeze up on me. I think it was on an outboard. I used a ball peen hammer and beat if back and forth, while trying to turn it with a pipe wrench. It took a while and went a very small bit at a time.

mrfixxall
11-16-2010, 10:48 PM
can i use heat to free it

no! spend the $85.00 on a new one because it wil only freeze up again..leave the cable in the boat until you get the new one,if you look at the cable you will see a part number on it,whenyou get the new one you tape the two together and fish it through the boat,,it yakes me at most one hour to replace the steering cable..

thatgirl
11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
no! spend the $85.00 on a new one because it wil only freeze up again..leave the cable in the boat until you get the new one,if you look at the cable you will see a part number on it,whenyou get the new one you tape the two together and fish it through the boat,,it yakes me at most one hour to replace the steering cable..

hi the cable moves back and forth very easly. the problem is in the gimble.i can move it but it takes alot.is ther any way to free it with out disasable. thank you

mrfixxall
11-20-2010, 09:20 PM
if you clean all the Greece out where the steering arm is(steering cable attaches to it) and get a can of pb blaster from auto zone and hose it down,then go to the outside of the gumball and spray the lower part of the ring it may free up..you have to keep spraying it every few hours and work it back and forth,,it that dont do it then it will need to be taken apart and serviced.

thatgirl
11-21-2010, 04:47 PM
if you clean all the Greece out where the steering arm is(steering cable attaches to it) and get a can of pb blaster from auto zone and hose it down,then go to the outside of the gumball and spray the lower part of the ring it may free up..you have to keep spraying it every few hours and work it back and forth,,it that dont do it then it will need to be taken apart and serviced.
thank you for your help it worked i managed to get movement out of it and it is now moving a little better everytime i try it.i was tinking of taking grease fitting off gimbel and shoting wd40 in it working it and then re grease it. what are your thoughts. thank you anthony

HOWARD O
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
We need moderators here. This is still the For Sale section, right? :confused:

joseph m. hahnl
12-04-2010, 09:12 AM
thank .i was tinking of taking grease fitting off gimbel and shoting wd40 in it working it and then re grease it.

Yes!!:yes: WD-40 will clean all the old grease out. But instead of re greasing with General pupose grease. You should use ,Never Seez

Blue Moly Anti Seize
Industrial Supply Group is a Full Line Distributor!

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/BlueMoly.jpg
Never-Seez Blue Moly Never-Seez Blue Moly lubricant is designed for industrial applications requiring non-destructive assembly and disassembly where combinations of high loads, high temperatures and low speeds are encountered to reduce friction during the assembly of press-fit components. This multi-purpose extreme pressure anti-seize lubricant contains a high concentration of molybdenum disulfide. Especially effective under extreme pressures involving heavy loads and slow speed resulting in boundary lubrication conditions. Never-Seez Blue Moly withstands pressures to 300,000 psi and temperatures up to 1500°F.

Temperature Resistance: -150°F to 1500°F (-101°C to 815°C)
Particle Size: 2 Mil maximum (50 microns)
Density (G/CM3): 1.14 to 1.20
ASTM D-217 Work Penetration: 300 - 350
ASTM D-92 Flash Point: >482°F (250°C)
ASTM D-566 Dropping Point: 360°F (182°C)
Torque Coefficient (K Factor): .150
Coefficient of Friction / ASTM Test Method: .0824 D-2266
Falex Test / Fail Load: 1000 lbs. (455 Kg.)
Suggested applications: Metal fittings, aircraft components, valves, stainless steel fasteners and slow moving parts, automotive engine bolts and body fasteners, stainless steel flange and pump bolts, chemical processing machinery, gasket dressing, assembly of dissimilar metals.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/BlueMoly.jpg