PDA

View Full Version : Insurance company recommendations ?

DannyK
11-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Can anyone recommend a good boat insurance company ? I just got a steep quote from Progressive. In 6 years, it'd add up to what I paid for my boat ! :confused:

fasttrucker
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Can anyone recommend a good boat insurance company ? I just got a steep quote from Progressive. In 6 years, it'd add up to what I paid for my boat ! :confused:
you can try allstate and geico.Ive found progressive to be the cheapest.

inlander
11-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Try Progressive. Just got my bill today for a 1999 Classic 16, 5.0. One year policy $124.00, if paid in one full payment, $150.00 otherwise. It's a California policy that covers a specific agreed to value of the boat. Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, sped-read your post and missed you mentioning Progressive. Mine has been about the same for two years. My insurance covers the agreed to amount, but not replacemet.

MOP
11-09-2010, 06:50 PM
You need to talk to a different Progressive rep, my 16 was $112. My 22 is $192 only $80 bucks more for a lot more boat.

Phil

Greg Guimond
11-09-2010, 07:04 PM
If there is nothing special about it, just add it under your homeowners.

John C in PA
11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
If there is nothing special about it, just add it under your homeowners.

That's what I was going to recommend. Liberty Mutual has my cars, my house, my Bayliner and now my Donzi. They quoted way less than Progressive, Geico and USBoat for the same coverage.

John C

inlander
11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
When I first got a quote, I wanted my wife to be a driver. Progressive quoted me over twice the original amount. It was because the wife had an automobile accident, which was not her fault (rear ender). Needless to say, she doesn't get to dock the boat.

DannyK
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll call and talk to a real agent. I got a Progressive online quote for full coverage with replacement cost of the boat and $100,000 liability. The quote was $967 per year! Arkansas requires $50,000 liability (over 50 H.P.). I may drop to that and a lower boat value too.

Greg Guimond
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
It is also worth asking about "stated value" coverage. Again, if there is nothing special you might be able to get stated value under your umbrella for only a bit more cash. I did it for one of my cars, after having learned the hard way on a prior vehicle. :frown:

DannyK
11-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I finally got a decent quote from Voyager Marine. Nearly 1/4 of Progressive's quote and half of BoatUs's. They even gave me a higher boat and trailer value plus $2,500 personal gear coverage. Phew ! Now I can title and register both the boat and trailer.

zelatore
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
The real $64,000 question is who's best for insuring modified boats?

I seem to remember talking to Progressive and and couple others after doing the procharger - when they asked how much HP and I said 'around 600' the response was 'uh, please hold' followed by 'I'm sorry, we can't help you'.

Of course, anything I get will be silly-money since I have a few tickets on my license. Not that that has much to do with my boating, but you know how insurance people are - any excuse to raise your rates.

Tidbart
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I finally got a decent quote from Voyager Marine. Nearly 1/4 of Progressive's quote and half of BoatUs's. They even gave me a higher boat and trailer value plus $2,500 personal gear coverage. Phew ! Now I can title and register both the boat and trailer.

Funny, just for chits and giggles, I got a quote from Voyager. It is almost double what my Progressive currently is.:bonk:

DannyK
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm back to square one. I went to fill out the forms Voyager Emailed me today and in reading it I noticed they had quietly increased my deductible by a thousand bucks from the original quote.(For the same premium). Now I don't trust them and feel they'd really try to screw anyone who actually needed to file a claim. I might wait till spring to bother getting insurance now. My boat is paid for, winterized in my side yard-right outside my desk window, triple locked and guarded by my dog and my 9mm. Insurance companies suck.:mad:

mphatc
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Many insurance companies check credit ratings and this will effect the rate!
If your Donzi is older, try Haggerty . . they were the only company that would insure my Corsican.
I told every insurance company that the boat is modified and is now capable of 70 mph . .

Mario L.
68 Magnum 27
69 Corsican
Both with Haggerty

DannyK
11-11-2010, 08:17 PM
They didn't change my rate; they changed my deductible without telling me from $250 to $ 1250 and then took a 4 1/2 day weekend (starting at noon) with nobody in the office until Monday. I am not feeling very encouraged to do business with them. I will check Haggerty, I've been meaning to contact them about a couple old cars anyway.

Donzi Vol
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Many insurance companies check credit ratings and this will effect the rate!
If your Donzi is older, try Haggerty . . they were the only company that would insure my Corsican.
I told every insurance company that the boat is modified and is now capable of 70 mph . .

Mario L.
68 Magnum 27
69 Corsican
Both with Haggerty

I went with Haggerty antique boat insurance on my '70 18. Got plenty of coverage for ~$300/year.

inlander
11-12-2010, 12:34 AM
They didn't change my rate; they changed my deductible without telling me from $250 to $ 1250 and then took a 4 1/2 day weekend (starting at noon) with nobody in the office until Monday. I am not feeling very encouraged to do business with them. I will check Haggerty, I've been meaning to contact them about a couple old cars anyway.

It's all smoke and mirrors with insurance co. After you mentioned the rates with Voyager, I requested a quote, just for woops. They quoted me over twice what I was paying with Progressive. They initially wanted my S.S. # to give me a quote, allegedly to check my credit rating, but I did not supply them with that. My insurance is determined on "the agreed upon value" of the boat...what I paid for it. Just tried to "up" the insurance on it with Progressive. They are sending it to the underwriter's for approval. We'll see where that goes.

oledawg
11-12-2010, 05:45 AM
I have 4 boats and 3 boat trailers on my Allstate policy, all covered with "umbrella" since my cars, houses, etc. are all with the same company. They know the HP, etc. and both my wife and I as "drivers" ( she is the one with the tickets, heh, heh ) and all total the extra cost is less than $500 per year with $500 deductible, million dollar liability, etc. My suggestion would be to stay with the same company that you have all your other insurances with and sit down with a real person to discuss. :pimp:

DannyK
11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Voyager is okay. I just want to say that, so I'm not bad mouthing them undeservedly. They got my message, called me today and explained that 5% was specified, but that $1,250 was their minimum. They also said that I couldn't replace the boat for the $8,500 I had requested and had given me replacement cost at $15,000 plus $1,000 for the trailer. They also dropped my premium a few bucks. SO, I finally have full coverage with twice the required liability for $244 per year. That's 1/4 of the quote I had when starting this silly thread. Thanks for your help guys !

Bamboo Loui
03-14-2011, 06:13 AM
ITS UP TO YOU WHO YOU BUY FROM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp

Sorry if this is deemed political-- just trying to be informative

Tidbart
03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
ITS UP TO YOU WHO YOU BUY FROM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp

Sorry if this is deemed political-- just trying to be informative

Thanks for the info. I had no idea the owner was a creep. Time to start shopping.

B