PDA

View Full Version : Tough day winterizing sunday

fasttrucker
11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I thought it would take a couple of hours and it ended up about 5 hours to winterize my 496ho and change the drive lube.I did the engine oil last weekend and that was a bitch,as I had a hard time getting the oil :boggled:off.Note to self,dont put the filter on too-tight.:bonk:....Anyway I took the fuel filter/water sep. out and dumped it.I drained the sea pump+ and the blue starboard side drain fiiting was bad and so I had to run to the parts counter at jackson,s to get a new one.After that we ran anti-freeze into the sea pump and heat exchanger.I fogged the motor.Then I drained the lube out of the bravo-1.I used a plastic hand pump that screws into the qt lube bottles and of course it broke.I was able to finsh pumping the lube into the bravo drive by holding the broken part down.Lost a little bit off the lube doing that.what a mess.:boggled:....:lookaroun:

Just Say N20
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I have never tried this on a V8, but it worked on my Honda Magna motorcycle.

A previous owner had really reefed on the filter. An 84 year old neighbor, who used to work on big diesels said that if I ran the engine while I tried to loosen the filter, the oil pressure generated would make the task easier.

Sure enough, it loosened nicely. I shut the engine off, and removed the filter.

I hate to overlook the very important point that this is done before you drain the oil. :)

A bit more of a pain in a boat with limited space, moving belts, and the need for water. Just a thought.

Offset
11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Great tip, it makes sense and I will try it next time before taking drastic measures!!!

Thanks.

Murray Adam

zelatore
11-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Interesting tip - worth a try before resorting to the big-a$$ clamp, the big-a$$ chan-L-locks, and finally the big-a$$ screwdriver-as-punch. :wink:

HIGH LIFE
11-09-2010, 08:46 PM
fasttrucker, Outboards are easier, aren't they !!! HIGH LIFE

fasttrucker
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
fasttrucker, Outboards are easier, aren't they !!! HIGH LIFE
Yep,...Treat the fuel,run the motor,fog,....and your done!