PDA

View Full Version : OMC Upper Gearhousing Leaking water

mbcruiser
11-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I have a 1990 Donzi Levante, twin 5.7's, Cobra outdrives. Winterizing boat last weekend using muffs and the starboard drive was spraying water from around the mystery bolt located on the port side of the upper gearhousing (behind the cobra emblem)?? Is this the reason starboard engine runs hotter than port? I'm not as familiar with OMC as Merc's, so i'm not sure where to start. This is just one of several issues i'm discovering since purchasing this boat May 2010...Oil in bilge...no Tilt/Trim on either drive...exhaust bellows that are made with slits in the ribs...!

Any input on the water from upper housing. Boat only has 180 hrs.

mrfixxall
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a 1990 Donzi Levante, twin 5.7's, Cobra outdrives. Winterizing boat last weekend using muffs and the starboard drive was spraying water from around the mystery bolt located on the port side of the upper gearhousing (behind the cobra emblem)?? Is this the reason starboard engine runs hotter than port? I'm not as familiar with OMC as Merc's, so i'm not sure where to start. This is just one of several issues i'm discovering since purchasing this boat May 2010...Oil in bilge...no Tilt/Trim on either drive...exhaust bellows that are made with slits in the ribs...!

Any input on the water from upper housing. Boat only has 180 hrs.

if you remove the cobra emblem theirs a plastic plug that brakes and will do as your describing...you have to remove the drive to access the plug which is sandwiched in their with a square backing plate with a threaded hole in the middle which is in the water port that feeds the engine its water.then theirs a plastic cup on the out side of it with o'rings and a large screw that threads into the the center of the backing plate..

if that engine is running hotter that water spray would be the reason,,its not getting enough water to cool the engine..

call doug russel and tell them where its leaking and order the parts,,i think their like 10 bux total..they dont show it in the diagram.
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&group=737&GroupList=720,721,722,723,724,725,726,727,729,728, 730,731,732,733,734,735,736,737,738