PDA

View Full Version : Randy "Clyde" Carabelli-AKA Grizz

Donziweasel
11-03-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought I would start a new thread so everyone could comment on Randy's life, not just his death.

I admit I am having a real hard time with this.

Randy was a gruff guy who was not afraid to tell it like it was. He also had one of the biggest hearts I have ever seen. Randy and I became close when my mom had a heartattack 3 years ago. I flew to Atlanta to be with her and he called me everyday. I will never forget that.

We spoke on the phone quite a bit after that, at least once a week. Now, for those of you who never spoke to Grizz on the phone, it was never a quick call. You pretty much had to clear the afternoon. :) My cell phone bill took quite the beating talking with Randy, but it was worth every dime.

I do not know who was more excited I was having children, much less twins, me or Randy. He would call all the time to ask how Boo Boo was doing when she wa pregant. He wanted to know about how they were doing after they were born all the time. He couldn't wait to see them for the first time this coming AOTH, but unfortunatly, he will never have the opportunity.

Another thing he did that use to drive me crazy was that he remembered every dumb thing I ever posted on this board. When he started a conversation by saying "Remember 3 years ago when you posted......", I knew I was about to catch some crap. I always got a laugh out of it and was amazed that he could remember stuff I didn't. Even this last year when his body was failing, his mind in many ways was still sharp as a tack. I think the second thing he said to me when I saw him in Chattanooga was "Remember 3 years ago when you posted......" I thought "here we go again"...... :)

That is who Randy was, and will forever be. A true friend and I feel lucky to have had him a part of my life.

If you feel like it, tell a story, or let people know what Grizz meant to you. We will miss him, but more importantly is how we remember him.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/IMGP0070.jpg

Mr X
11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Resting his elbow on the Eufalla mascot gator a couple years back.
Fun times!

Carl C
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
John, thanks for posting the pics; I hadn't known what Griz looked like. I remember him as being totally nonconfrontational on this forum. Offering help to anyone who asked; Knowledgeable help! I remember him blaming his typos on his fat fingers. There is so much of his knowledge archived here that he cannot, and will not, ever be forgotten.:angel:

I am such a wimp. I am near tears looking at the pics across the banner. :(

Sweet Cheekz
11-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Class guy and the first real Donzi enthusiest I met on this board He was helpful, knowledgeable and he loved his sport. He will leave a big void and I know we will miss him

RIP Randy

Parnell, Wendy & Zach

Donziweasel
11-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I am near tears looking at the pics across the banner.

Carl, trust me, you are not alone. I think many of us were like that yesterday morning when we found out. I know I was, and still am.

txtaz
11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Randy was a great guy.
I remember a few years back giving the 22 guys a hard about their boats handling being nothing like my 18. At AOTH after the raft up, Grizz said "Hey Wes, over here". I got on his boat and we headed back to Jamestown. We were going through the last no wake zone when a Baja pulled up next to us acting cocky. Grizz looked at me and said hold on. We hit 85 in no time and my back was pinned to the seat. I looked back and no Baja to be seen anywhere. We ran WOT all the way back. After getting to the dock he said, "I just had to pee".
Great guy with a great sense of humor.
He will be missed.
Be with God.
Wes and Jennifer

Trueser
11-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I will miss you my friend.

mike o
11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I consider myself lucky to spend time around Barb and Griz at events. By far the happiest couple in the crowd. Loved the boats and everybody in the Donzi community. Griz and Barb loved sitting around the table with friends and talking abouts the boats, Griz with that huge smile. He spent more time unselfishly helping everyone with his endless knowledge about absolutely everything related to these boats, than on the water, which was fine with him. When all was good, including a special conversation with my 11yr old daughter, Griz becoming her honorary "Italian Godfather":yes:. Griz would wander on over to his boat turn the key on his engine and you would "hear" the real deal. Really talented Fella and the nicest couple you'd every meet. Were really gonna miss Ya........http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/2010_dustoff/satpm/IMG_6945.JPG.html

Sweet Cheekz
11-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Mike
Funny you mention your daughter cause he was always very nice to my son and my son thought he was really cool. Last time I saw him he was sitting with Barb, Cliff and Di under the tent at Lake George this spring. I said good bye, see you next year.
Makes me sad

Parnell

axelkloehn
11-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I remember when I posted a prop question after my first ride with the GT in end of september, BigGrizzly tried to help me with an info while he was already in very bad medical condition. I really appreciated this- it was probably one of his last or even the last post he sent at donzi.net...

...what a great guy! Makes me very sad to hear this bad news. Rest in peace and all the best wishes from germany to his family and his wife!

Kirbyvv
11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
The first time I met Randy, he looked at my boat, drive and prop, after complimenting me on my X-18 (which was pretty rough at the time), he walked back to his truck and came back with an arm load of props-"let's get testing" he said. We've been friends ever since.

I don't remember when it was, 2007 maybe. We were at the Dust Off dinner. About 10 of us, including Barb and Griz were all at one table. Randy announced with his broad smile that everyone at the table had bought a Solas prop through him. He was very proud but very humble of his getting Solas to make new props for the older Volvo drives.

VetteLT193
11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Pics from a couple of runs...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=691
http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=688
http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=864

zelatore
11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow this is a tough loss. Randy was just one of those institutions who made up the backbone of the forum.

When I first came here asking my newbie questions, he was one of the guys who always had something positive and helpful to say. Later as I bought my 22 and moved on to mods, he was still there helping and providing info to get me on through my projects.

I never had the privilege of meeting him in person though we spoke on the phone and many times through this medium. He'll be sorely missed. RIP.

fasttrucker
11-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I talked to randy a few times,at the hometown donzi event or on my cell phone.He always had time to talk.Super nice guy.I will miss him.:yes:

Jraysray
11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Randy sold me a prop not long ago. DW was right, the phone conversations "took a while".

Something stuck with me though and it kind of made things different.

He said:
Scott, You will never be the fastest, I was the fastest on my lake for two weeks, enjoy your damn boat!

I enjoy my boat.

joseph m. hahnl
11-03-2010, 03:05 PM
I shall miss our fallen Brother. My Deepest sympathy to his wife and family that he has left behind.

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=370&uid=1525138710

CJmike
11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear about this. RIP Grizz

need for speed
11-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Laurie and I are very sorry to hear this ..

Ed Donnelly
11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
God bless you Randy....Say Hi to my folks.............Ed

BlownCrewCab
11-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Wow, I'm sad to learn about this terrible news. I never met Grizz formaly but have a very high regard of respect for him. Thoughts & Prayers going out to the Family and Friends. Sorry Again-

Mike

NJFASTECH
11-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I am not a big poster here. I am truely sad for the loss of a brother. I did speak with him on a few occasions. Myself and my family would like to extend our blessings to him and his family. God Bless all.

BUIZILLA
11-03-2010, 08:19 PM
a few years back, before the 2006 Sarasota event, he calls me up and says Hey Jim, this is Randy... hey Randy whats up, can I call ya back i'm busy right now... Randy says > no, this is about props for your boat, everything else can wait. So, I put everybody else on hold, and talked to him... it was just worth it.... 2 days later, 4 props showed up, that I never asked for...

At the 2004 Boat Show Fun Run, I had never met him up to that point, we were in Baxter's front yard and he walked up, introduced himself, gave me his embroidered Donzi Criterion hat, and said *I'm riding with you*, I was truly humbled... we launch and go out mid-bay, and the Boat Pix copter flies over and takes a few pic's.. to this day, I have that exact enlarged pic of him and I, having just met 2 hours previous, hanging over this very desk I type this from..

This year at Hales Bar on Sunday, Brian Rose took Barb, Griz and me down the river for a cruise, I told Brian to let me run his boat and just make sure Griz was smiling and happy, i'll do the rest, I wanted to make sure he had a great day, I knew he was suffering inside, but he smiled nonetheless, never complained. I'll never forget that day, sitting on the bridge looking down, and watching him and Barb enjoy the sights and sounds for hours, talking about life's up's and downs, pride and joys, trials and tribulations, life in general... we got back to the dock, we helped him off, said our goodbye's, and I went to my truck and cried..

There were many more events, chats, and runs, where we met and compared notes..

A few weeks ago when he came down here for surgery, I sat at the Baxter's table for his last supper before the procedure. He ate like a horse. He was sparkling, confident, jovial, and upbeat that his pain would soon be over, and he could live his life again normally. He was excited. He was ready. He had it licked...

Jim & Janice

MOP
11-03-2010, 09:13 PM
My contact with Griz was light compared to many, never did meet him or Barb face up. But even from the very first call when Barb picked up the phone there was an unmistakable feeling being a friend almost like an old one and glad you called. I like other had no clue if he was busy or not, never made a difference he always got hold of the phone and did not let go until he was comfy with what he wanted to tell you.

Barb your loss is great to say the very least, please feel the thoughts and prayers from all of us God Bless.

Phil

Conquistador_del_mar
11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I am truly saddened by this news. I only met Randy once at last year's Possum Kingdom, TX get-together. We communicated quite a few times before and since, but sitting down with him was a real treat. He had so many stories that intrigued me to the point that I left a couple hours later than I planned that night. I was hoping he would come here so we could repaint his boat and exchange more stories, but we will have to meet again under different circumstances. Guys like Randy don't come around very often. His spirit will live on - :yes:. Your friend, Bill

When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (http://www.donzi.net/citasautor.asp?autor=14489)

LKSD
11-04-2010, 06:32 AM
We were sorry to here of his loss and a bit shocked.. Thought he was slowing getting better.. He will be sadly missed in the Donzi community...

Woodsy
11-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I met Randy a few times.... all of them memorable. He ws the guy who would ALWAYS lend a hand or offer some advice or a ride... his gruff manner was the stuff legends are made of! Truly a sad day for the Donzi brotherhood!

GodSpeed Randy!

Carl C
11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I will never forget this post.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=368713&postcount=1

Marlin275
11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Randy owner of Donzis since 1966

Team Jefe
11-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I've tried to post some things here and everytime I start I just breakdown....I'm just....sad. Its like part of my soul has been ripped away. I can't even imagine what Barb, Marc and Andy are going through.

I had seen Randy and Barb at several events over the years, but never really go close to them.....It was like he was untouchable, the godfather, and I was this guy with a freakin' fish boat.

Then AOTH 2008 and I showed up to cook at Todd's Thursday. In my element, cooking for a big crew and "on Stage" in the Sommerville's kitchen, I noticed Randy watching me intently as I smelled the roux of my crawfish ettouffee. When I served him, I could tell he was a bit skeptical since I hadn't even tasted it myself.....but he loved it and told me later that there was no way I could smell the roux and know it was good. My response "Grizz, they don't call me Jefe for nothing", he belly laughed at that we started talking food and boats and Props....and our friendship was sealed.

Since then I have had the honor of spending time with these wonderful people at Rallies and been a guest in their home a few times. EVERY Second of time I spent with Grizz and Barb was time well spent and greatly cherished.

Last year on July 4th I was at Lake Lanier and Grizz took me for my first ride is a Corsican..what a cool looking boat.....Jefe, it does more that look cool. at that he goosed the throttle and we lept out of the water, jumped a few wakes and were both grinning ear to ear. Then we saw the lights of the police boat speeding our way. They rolled up and I could tell were ready to chew on us for going so fast during such a busy weekend....then they saw the 60+ year old guy at the helm, with his tradmark smile....and their demeaner changed instantly. Suddenly it wasn't such a big deal, and we went on our way.

Such an amazing hiuman being. I'll consider myself lucky if half of you speak half as well of me when I pass.

I love you man, and I couldn't forget you even if I tried.

Donziweasel
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I will never forget this post.

Carl, I remember it well. The sad thing is he won the battle with cancer, but lost the war due to a surgery. It was not supposed to go the way it did.

Jim and Jeff, great stories. Thank you.

Tom Davis
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I am deeply saddened by the loss of a friend. My condolences go out to his family and all those who cherished his friendship. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him.

I met Randy the first year the Winni Bandits caravanned down to AOTH (2002 I believe). More recently at The Lake George Dust-off a couple years ago when he and Barb drove up with the Criterion, long drive but he arrived with a smile. After towing all that way and his first run on Lake George he still took the time away after stop #2 to tow me back to the dock after I threw a belt and miss the rest of the run. Because that was just the kind of guy he was.

Then there’s the time I was helping Skippy dial in his newly renovated 18 classic fire truck/boat and new that it had more to offer with a different prop. I introduced him to Randy who happened to have brought a few props with him (a truckload). Randy picked the right prop for the boat the very first try, after testing he sold the prop to Skippy for cost (more to this story that I didn't know, see below post from Scippy), because Skippy was one of the Firefighters during 9/11 at ground zero. Because that was just the kind of guy he was.

He will always be remembered fondly by all who knew him as quite a character. So let’s all lift our classes and toast Randy in the years to come and remember him, because that was just the kind of guy he was.

Gods Speed my Friend.

RickSE
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
:frown: I've been away for a few days and just came on to see this. :frown:

I never did get to meet Grizz but his reputation certainly speaks for itself. Sorry for the loss.

brendan howley
11-04-2010, 05:31 PM
We will miss the grizz dearly. He loved life and his family to the fullest.
Thank you Randy for the time we had together.

DONZI
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I am very saddened to learn that i have lost a great Donzi friend and Icon !
Barb our thoughts and prayers are with you.
I always enjoyed and looked forward to spending time with you guys at Lake George.
Bench racing with Randy was always a real treat for me and good for some fun.
You couldn't help but respect and enjoy his telling of his experiences in his life.
Godspeed Randy you won't be forgotten !
Kenny & Martha Lessard

DON N.
11-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Very , sorry for your loss barb . And randy for the few talks we had , you were the best . Rest in peace .

Donzi Vol
11-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I've been away from d.net for most of the week, but was able to keep up with Grizz's situation through others. Weasel, I trust that you received my condolences, and I pass on the same to Barb and the rest of Randy's family and friends. I'm deeply saddened, as all of us are.

What I will always remember about Grizz is that he treated me like he had known me for years the first time that I met him at AOTH a few years back. I just remember thinking, "Wow...what a nice guy to be that cordial after simply knowing me from a few posts on a chat board!" I thought that maybe he was just being nice to the new kid who didn't know much. But as I look back on it, it's just the way he was. He treated everyone like they were important and that they mattered. Will be missing you, big guy!

David

Just Say N20
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Although I never met Grizz personally, I will certainly miss his contribution to the Donzi community.

My prayers for the family.

scippy
11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I met Randy and Barb twice, first time at the '08 LG dustoff and secondly, at AOTH 2009...if she didn't "scream & yell" loud enough to warn me that my 18 donzi was taking on water (no drain plug) up at LG, I'd be among a small fraternity of people who could say,, "I both splashed and sunk my boat all on it's maiden launch" ......thanks Barb!

If this rather shakey beginning to boating was not enough, Randy called me over later that day and said, "what you need for that boat is to dial her in with one of my props" he gave me his card and said, They call me GriZ!....I didn't know what to think, here I almost sank my boat earlier in the day and now I'm being pushed to buy a prop I'm not sure I need. Me and Randy start talking as we watch Bob Haver & Tom Davis change out the prop on the beach and he says to me, "When you go out and find it's dialed in correctly, you'll ask me how much?.....Now, I think to my self, oh boy here it comes!.......He tells me, "you guys are the real hero's in the world today and Thank you!..............he says this loud enough for others to hear and then leans in closer to say, what I want is a .F.D.N.Y. T-shirt for Barb and me, this would take care of the prop. I told him your very kind and I'll mail you a couple when I get home. He says, mail a new one for Barb, but how's about that one your wearing right now on your back, I already had been wearing an old salty F.D.N.Y. T-shirt that I wore at ground zero............he said, better that one for me, it's been to a sacred place!..................every time I think of Randy and how he came on so strong when I first met him and how when he leaned into me to speak he was very kind.....................The GriZ was a very gentle soul!

sweet 16 1966
11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
David, I too just found out by this site and am feeling the huge loss of a dear friend. He did make us all feel important. I had the honor of spending some time with Grizz and Barb this summer and to think that its over makes me very sad. I wanted to hear more stories and learn more about his experiences. He wanted to re-prop my boat. He explained to me how to cut down my trim tabs which we believed to be dragging. He loaned me his template to do so. 2 weeks ago I picked up his mail and checked on his boats which were safely hoisted by their lifts. The view from his dock was one very peaceful view at sunset. That is how I will always remember him.
He will never be forgotten by me. I miss his friensdhip already. I just want to call him and ask a couple more questions....

RIP Randy

Bamboo Loui
11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
so hard to come up with the right words. Thanks DW (John) for keeping us informed. Randy was very kind to me. He started PMing, and writing me when I first had questions about the 22 and handling. He was very helpful and we planned to get together at his home in the spring for propping and fun. he would write often, wish I could have gotten to know a guy that cares for others as much as Griz did.
Godspeed and Godbless Randy, and God please keep your watchful eyes on Randy's loving Barbara.

Doug&Margaret

Tidbart
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I will always remember Randy with a smile on his face. He always smiled when he was at a gathering. He was always there ready to give advice and tips and to offer help. He was the epitome of a Donzi owner.

I have been trying to write something for a couple days now and I am still having a hard time. So, a couple of photos from Destin and the Keys will have to do.

RIP Randy. You will be surely missed.:frown:

Bob

Donziweasel
11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Weasel, I trust that you received my condolences, and I pass on the same to Barb and the rest of Randy's family and friends

David, I am pretty sure Barbara has checked in here some since Randy's passing. I would hope she has enjoyed reading about some of the members stories of Randy, how they met, what he has done for them, and how much he meant to this community. I know I have. Still hard to read this thread without getting choked up.

The Hedgehog
11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Randy was quite the character. I have been reading these posts all week. When busted by people I have been working around I had to pretend that I was about to sneeze or just chocked on an ice cube. I dang near got sick to the stomach when I got a serious call Monday night from a friend who told me things were not going well.

The odd thing is that I have probably not spent more than the a few weekends around him. I would talk to him and message him from time to time. At the same I learned to hang on every word when he posted. Weasel is right. I am pretty sure that he remembered everything I posted as well.

His comment were always direct, witty and to the point. He was right about 99% of the time but the few times he was proved otherwise, he was not too proud to admit it. He always took time to listen to loud mouths like me and seemed to get a kick out of my enthusiasm. If I was going too far, he would reign me back in before I screwed something up. He could do that with style and not seem like he was a fuddy duddy or talking down to me. Buiz said it very well. He was a man's man. I could go on and on but have to stop. I have guests and they think something is wrong with me.

Rob M
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
The MAN in action, doing what he loved. He will be missed by all on this board.

blackboat
11-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I enjoyed all his posts,never met him but seemed like a great guy !

LadyGrizz
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
David, I am pretty sure Barbara has checked in here some since Randy's passing. I would hope she has enjoyed reading about some of the members stories of Randy, how they met, what he has done for them, and how much he meant to this community. I know I have. Still hard to read this thread without getting choked up.

the pride and awe I feel as I read these posts. Yes, I have been checking in. I just haven't been in the right frame of mind to respond. Randy was unique, he was a "one of", and I miss him terribly. I'll be taking him home Monday. Our family will gather and tell stories and laugh and cry. At some time after the holidays, we'll have a celebration of his life for all our extended family and friends. In the meantime, here's one for the thread:

Randy and I met when I was 17 and he was 22. He was in college in Iowa and came into town to pick up some "townies". One of the guys he was with knew one of the girls I was with at a high school basketball game. 10 of us piled into an old Ford and I ended up on Randy's lap. 3 months later (he said he was busy coming up with some wheels) he calls and says "Hi! this is Randy!" I said "Randy who?". We dated for 2 years, I broke up with him over a very silly fight (what...I was 20 for crying out loud). He gave me a quarter and said, "call me when you grow up". I said what's with the quarter, phones are a dime (dating myself there). He said "By the time you grow up, they'll be a quarter". He was right. It took me 11 years, but I finally grew up and we've been together ever since.

I missed his motorcycle racing years, so we decided to go do it again so I could be a part of that. He rebuilt his old racebike (Big Grizzly..the only pro bike with a name) and we went racing. We had a blast. His bike won the #1 plate in the ARHMA circuit, and he was satisfied.

Then we came back to the boats. We had bought a Corsican in '93 and Randy loved it. But he wanted something bigger. Then one day, he calls me and tells me he found a boat. It's a 1980 Donzi Criterion and can he buy it. Oh please, if I didn't say go ahead, he'd be nagging me until I couldn't see straight. So My Damn Donzi came to live with us.

Over the last 10 years we have been a part of the most inclusive, caring, bunch of folks on the planet. He loved you all, he loved the boats, he loved. I miss him. I miss his voice, his laugh, the way he was with everyone he met.

Thank you all for all your kind words and thoughtful posts. I'll be seeing you in the spring.

Barb

Forrest
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Ahhhh, Such great times . . . and yes Barb, he was truly "one of".

Carl C
11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Barb, I am so sorry you lost your "Griz". :frown::angel:

Donziweasel
11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Barbara, thanks for the story. :)

Also, thank you for taking the time to post here. We all know how hard things must be right now and it means alot to us to hear from you and for you to take the time to share with us.

catch 22
11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Gina & I are sure going to miss him. Can't find the words right now. Here are some pix after the AOTH, Following him home, then back to WPB.

Sweet Cheekz
11-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Barbara, thanks for the story. :)

Also, thank you for taking the time to post here. We all know how hard things must be right now and it means alot to us to hear from you and for you to take the time to share with us.

Aggreed

Parnell

Bobby D
11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I just learned that Randy has passed away and am deeply saddened by the loss of a friend and my condolences go out to his family. Just as Tom and Scippy described I finally met him at the same LG event for the first time and out of nowhere he appeared with a smile and said boy do I have a prop that little boat of yours is going to love. Since that weekend we have spoken on the phone many times and he helped me select a new prop for 18C this summer.
Later that day we sat by the water and talked about many things including how great he thought it was that I had many fond Donzi memories and experiences with my dad. We also talked about when I was 13 years old working at the Columbia Yacht Club on the Delaware River in Philadelphia and a man pulled up trailoring a brand new,'66 Donzi just like his. After seeing the way it set in the water and hearing it start, I caught the fever and said one day I would have one myself. Randy said he was happy that I found the little orange boat and also told me that thought that my wife and daughter were gorgeous.
Terry’s Song (broke the mold) is a song written by Bruce Springsteen and is a tribute to his longtime friend who passed away. My father who passed away a few years ago was a tough man with a fiery attitude, but he treated everyone he met like a friend. As evidenced by all the responses to this post Randy was the same way.
I played this song at my father’s furfural because I believe that Bruce wrote the song about unique men like my father. Even if you’re not a Springsteen fan listen to the song sometime and I believe that you will agree Randy was one of these special men.
RIP, Big Grizzly I’m proud to have known you. They say you can’t take it with you but I think there wrong because all I know is when I woke this morning something big was gone.

Hotboat
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Scott had given me his address to send a "get well" card and as usual, I kept putting it off. I'll do it tomorrow. Then I heard the news. Talk about a sick feeling. We should never put off reaching out and touching a friend as life is too short at its longest. Griz was our friend and will be sadly missed. Dale & Donna

Ghost
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
After a year or two here on the site I felt like I'd known Randy for ages. One of the kindest, most knowledgeable and helpful people I'd ever run into. Learned something new every time I ever spoke with him. Was able to spend a couple hours with him and Barb at AOTH, and I will always treasure it. The whole room lit up when he smiled. We are all much poorer down here for his passing.

Mike

EricG
11-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I never had the privilege to speaking to Randy, but through posts and a few emails (props...of course!) I truly felt like I knew him...my condolences to Barb, his family, and the entire Donzi.net community. He will be missed.

FISHIN SUCKS
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Thank you for the story Barb! Barbi and I are deeply saddened, but very fortunate to have spent the last 7 AOTH's with Randy. It was always important for him to get a hug from my Barbi, and she was happy to oblige.

Randy would always tell the brief story of the first time he met me when we would see each other to myself or anyone that would listen. 'I remember the first time I met you in the recpetion of AOTH IV (2004), you told everyone 'my handle is FISHIN SUCKS, and if you're offended, well sorry, but that's how I feel about it!''. Randy would tell me 'you don't hold back, I like that'. I love Randy, and will always be a fan, because he told it like it was.

Whenever I tell someone in coversation and I've heard enough, I use one of Randy's lines, 'I know too much to be told differently'.

Randy 'Big Grizzly' Carabelli, you will be remembered by the West's!

Deepest Regards, Tom

Team Jefe
11-08-2010, 07:31 AM
The LadyGrizz - is "one of" as well. Baby, your world has been turned upside down and you still take time to comfort us..... I've seen that strength in action, and if you get tired lean on the rest of us, becasue we are family....and we take care of our own!

mike o
11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
The LadyGrizz - is "one of" as well. Baby, your world has been turned upside down and you still take time to comfort us..... I've seen that strength in action, and if you get tired lean on the rest of us, becasue we are family....and we take care of our own!:yes:.........:kingme:

hot shot
11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I am a man of many tears now and not so many words.... I have my stories like the rest of us and will never forget them as we all will and barb you are the greatest I love both of you thank you for all of the good times. Respect is a big word here and and there is plenty of that God Speed Girz!!!

yeller
11-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I feel cheated that I never met Randy. We never talked, but I truly enjoyed his presence here. When I first bought my 22C and was expressing my troubles in controlling it, Randy was one of the first to PM me with some advice.

I never knew him beyond this site, yet I still feel like I lost a friend.

sweet 16 1966
11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Ditto what Jefe said from me Barb. Call on me if there is anything I can do!

Eugene Nahemow
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
My deepest condolences to Randy's wife and the family.

GEOO
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Grizz always had something interesting to add to conversations about engines, performance, props etc. A man full of knowledge , which he would happilly spend hours talking to you about. I always enjoyed sitting around and hearing his stories. I will miss him dearly. God bless Barb and his Family. George Desmond

mphatc
11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Barb,

Thank you for the great story. My sincere condolences on your loss.

I sadly never met Randy, but we spoke several times, Corsicans, engines and lastly props for my Magnum 27 this August. he will be missed but never forgotten.

Mario L.

Donzi Vol
11-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Barb,

Thanks for your wonderful story. I love the dime to a quarter piece. I'll have to use that somewhere along the way in honor of Randy! Please let us know if you need anything in TN or ATL. I'm in TN and have friends in ATL.

-David

Lil Grizz
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I want to thank all of you here for sharing your lives with our family and appreciating my Father for the amazing man he is, was, and forever will be. Knowing you all cherish the time spent with him helps my family and me find peace in this very upsetting time. I know without a doubt he loved you all, and there wasn't any place he would rather be than with you on the water.

Thank you for your kindness and generosity,

Marc aka Lil Grizz.

Lil Grizz
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Dad liked to reminisce about how our Corsican came to be and all the adventures we had with it.

When I was growing up Dad always kept three sequential pictures of Sweet 16 next to his bed. They were of him, as a teenager, approaching and then launching over the wake of a yacht. In the final image the bow is probably 15-20 feet off the water with the stern following closely. That picture was my first introduction to Donzis.

Sometime in the early 90's Dad found the Holman Moody Corsican. It would be his first Donzi in nearly 25 years. His excitement was contagious. The boat was solid but needed lots of work. Our entire family pitched in to get it sea worthy. We took the sugar out of the tank, pulled the engine, repaired the electrics. In time we also replaced the outdrive with a beefier unit, and painted the entire boat in our garage, then redid the interior. That came later though.

The big event the first year was finding engine parts for a 351c. Oh the stories I can tell you about his obsession with that engine. He LOVED the 351 Cleveland. He had both land and sea vehicles powered by it. He would talk endlessly about what made that engine design so great. Even to this day, any where you look in his shop you are probably looking at a 351c part of some sort. If it was for the Cleveland he had to have it and people were nothing but happy to give him that stuff. In short order there were many sets of heads, cams, blocks, intakes scattered throughout his basement.

In a few months the Corsican was again alive, but short lived. Five minutes into the first test run and a piston went sideways. "This is why I keep all this stuff around" he says as he pulls another engine block seemingly out of thin air.

We rebuild the engine, and its about September, probably 1993-94 or so, and he and I are about to see what shes got. As Dad is leaving the trailer he tells me to jump in and I eagerly do so leaving the truck and trailer at the ramp. Take my seat next to the captain as we idle through the no wake.

No sooner does he tip in the throttle the engine dies. "Did we stall?" I said but he was already under the hatch investigating. Moments later he shoves half of a flattened and shattered spark plug up in the air.

"Do you see this, well do you?" he screams
"Whats that mean?" I ask....
"I'll tell you what it means, It means we're f$%$#d" he yells in that unmistakable voice of his.

We both look to shore at the same moment and see the oars sitting in the sand next to the trailer. Before I could process our situation he had already crafted a makeshift oar using the dock pole duct taped to the deck hatch. For the next two hours we took turns paddling the 500 feet back to shore against the current while debating what had happened. turned out to be the same thing as before, one of the back pistons had broken through its cylinder wall and also through the adjacent cylinder destroying another block but nothing else.

The third engine would use a closed cooling system of his own design as he believed the shock of cold water was causing the cylinder walls to fracture when the thermostat opened and let ice cold water into the hot engine.

Come spring he and I were back in the boat, with oars, ropes, and for lack of a better descriptor - an entire tool chest suitable for a Nascar pit crew. He crammed anything he thought he might need under the deck. It probably cost him 10mph but he was not going to be caught unprepared again.

As we exit the no wake zone he turns to me and says "go for it?" I nod and he puts it down and we immediately come on plane. I will never forget that grin on his face as the boat continued to accelerate. The farther from shore we got, the bigger his smile.

The first big wake he saw, he jumped it. Full speed, dead on, the look on his face cool and emotionless. We leap into the air and he yells "Yeeeeeeeehaaaaawwwww!" I vividly remember looking down into the coffee mug of the yacht captain who was driving from the fly-bridge just before he dropped his mug.

Dad spit out a one liner that went something like:

"Thats why they call it a fly bridge, cause you fly over it"

And THEN we landed.

MOP
11-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Marc you can rest assure he made his mark on life very much appreciated by each and everyone that came in contact with. God Bless him always!

jl1962
11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Classic story!
Thanks!

The Hedgehog
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
That is a great story. Vintage Grizz

Team Jefe
11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Great Story Marc, thanks for sharing and being part of this community!

Lil Grizz
11-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Dads first Donzi.

HOWARD O
11-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Marc!!! GREAT stuff! :yes:

sweet 16 1966
11-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Marc, I will miss your Dad greatly. I noticed when you or your brother were around, he seemed to have a higher level of patients! I still think of him every day. I remember calling and discussing pulling the boat out before he left for Miami. We put it off but he explained what he expected to occur and the time frame for recovery. I was really looking forward to helping him again. I always learned something when talking to Grizz. He was going to re=prop the boat but we never found the time. I did raise the tabs by trimming off the rod which he said must be done before re-propping. Never tried it yet though... He was one of the great ones! I am close if I can help in any way.

White Nuckles
12-31-2010, 01:56 AM
The first time I met Randy was 1968. I was 13 years old and standing on a dock with a friend at Dale's Yatch Basin in Bay Head New Jersey. Randy's parents lived on their boat there with his sister in the summers. Randy had his powder blue 18' Donzi docked close by. Randy was maybe 23 yrs old and just getting out of work. His sister had been "Detailing" the motor of the donzi. I took notice of this as I took notice of her! Randy starts yelling and she yelled back. It seems detailing included spray painting all the wiring, the cap the rotor and anything else under the hatch. Randy stormed off and I being a good guy went over and consoled her. The next time I ran into Randy I was racing dirtbikes and was at a sand pit where I rode. It seems Randy knew a lot about dirtbikes and in true Randy fashion told me all that was wrong with me bike. From that point on Randy rebuilt my bike for nothing! Randy went on to build a motor for me that won a championship in 1973. I would have never been able to do this on my own. I was a rough and tumble kid coming from a broken home.Randy saw this and knew I was on the edge. He worked many, many hours with me teaching me and building my motors. As the years went by the more I realized how much he did for me. Although I am happy to say I did reconnect with Randy only 2 years ago and told him of this, Randy's humble reply was "Bobby, you rode with alot of hart and I couldn't let that go to waste" Randy was a stand up guy that I am thankful to have known him. My thoughts are with Barb and their boys.

Sweet Cheekz
12-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Wishing a good 2011 to the Carabelli family

Parnell

sweet 16 1966
12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the story! Just goes to show you- people don't change! He was always helping someone figure something out. I am glad he helped you also.

sweet 16 1966
12-31-2010, 11:33 AM
"Wishing a good 2011 to the Carabelli family"

Ditto Parnell.