PDA

View Full Version : What's on your smoker?

Barry Eller
10-30-2010, 09:15 AM
15 lbs of Boston Butts...apple juice in the steam pan...Kingsford charcoal...pecan wood...on 7:30 am CDT today...I'll update the progress. There will be football on the TV...possibly some adult beverages too.
:kingme:

Barry Eller
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
6 hours in...4 more to go...

Carl C
10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Haven't used my smokehouse in years............ :(

Barry Eller
10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
1 butt resting on the bakers rack to be wrapped and frozen for later consumption...the other one tented and baked in a 325* oven for one hour...it is falling apart...when it is cool enough it will be hand pulled and there will be no fat on the pork...OMG it is soooo good even with no sauce!!!

deejay
10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
How cool of you to post this!
What fun!
How was it with the sauce?
Thanks, deejay

Barry Eller
10-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm sooo full...good night all...:kingme:

gero1
10-31-2010, 10:36 AM
turkey breasts, pork chops, salmon and 2 steaks over hickory

mc donzi
10-31-2010, 11:25 AM
1 butt resting on the bakers rack to be wrapped and frozen for later consumption...the other one tented and baked in a 325* oven for one hour...it is falling apart...when it is cool enough it will be hand pulled and there will be no fat on the pork...OMG it is soooo good even with no sauce!!!

2 ???'s

Any left??

Where do you live??

Also have a recipe...

Baby back ribs(from Costco), they're huge

Sprinkle the rack liberally with Montreal Steak Spice, place on a cookie sheet, pour in 1 can of beer(Canadian, of course :wink:) tent with tinfoil, bake in the oven at 275* for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and brush with homemade sauce(whatever is in the fridge + fresh garlic + Frank's Hot Sauce to taste) Place on a low heat grill to brown and carmelize the sauce.

YOWSAH!!!!

Barry Eller
10-31-2010, 01:22 PM
2 ???'s

Any left??

Where do you live??

Also have a recipe...

Baby back ribs(from Costco), they're huge

Sprinkle the rack liberally with Montreal Steak Spice, place on a cookie sheet, pour in 1 can of beer(Canadian, of course :wink:) tent with tinfoil, bake in the oven at 275* for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and brush with homemade sauce(whatever is in the fridge + fresh garlic + Frank's Hot Sauce to taste) Place on a low heat grill to brown and carmelize the sauce.

YOWSAH!!!!

Yep, I always smoke 2 butts at a time and put 1 in the freezer. I live in Gulf Breeze, Florida. The frozen butt will be thawed and baked when I'm ready to eat it. I do ribs the same way, I smoke them first and then bake them...I have found I like them better that way than baking and then grilling...gets the smoked flavor much deeper into the meat when it is smoked first. I love smoked meat...turkey, fish, oysters, shrimp, pork and beef briskets. I haven't tried lamb, possum, armadillo or raccoon yet...:wink:

RedDog
10-31-2010, 01:42 PM
I did 4 racks of ribs yesterday. Grilled them at 200 - 225 for about 4 hours with my personal secret dry rub.

PS - rather than using charcoal briquettes, try the natural lump charcoal. It burns so much cleaner. You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, or the best brand I have found is the Kroger grocery store brand.

Barry Eller
10-31-2010, 08:16 PM
I did 4 racks of ribs yesterday. Grilled them at 200 - 225 for about 4 hours with my personal secret dry rub.
PS - rather than using charcoal briquettes, try the natural lump charcoal. It burns so much cleaner. You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, or the best brand I have found is the Kroger grocery store brand.

I only use charcoal to get the fire started...then it is wood only.

McGary911
11-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Looks great. Since I moved to the South, I figured I should play around with my smoker (which I actually bought in Jersey).

So far still learning the ropes. Actually did a top round roast (london broil) the other day. After about 6 hours at 200, it turned out great and smoky. I started with something cheap so I can get the hang of it before I ruin a $60 piece of meat.

I've only used the electric element so far, which got my temp up to 200 degrees. I may try charcoal next time, so I can learn to control the temp.

I invite over some friends, we sit by the pool and watch football on Sunday...drink a few beers and wait for that great smelling meal to finish up. Life could be worse.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I smoked a turkey with both hickory and mesquite on Friday when my twin brother and his family came to visit followed by a pork tenderloin last night for my wife and I. I use lump charcoal in the large Big Green Egg - hard to be better or easier - :yes: Bill

RedDog
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
+1 on the Big Green Egg with lump charcoal

I smoked a turkey with both hickory and mesquite on Friday when my twin brother and his family came to visit followed by a pork tenderloin last night for my wife and I. I use lump charcoal in the large Big Green Egg - hard to be better or easier - :yes: Bill