PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on this Sweet 16 on Ebay

somerville99
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
What are people's thoughts on this 16? No bids to date and a $2,900 starting price. It runs and is all there. How much investment is needed?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180579657087&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

DAULEY
10-29-2010, 07:20 PM
dependes on how nice you want it to be

Buddyc
10-29-2010, 10:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing... Shame im too big for the 16s

axelkloehn
10-30-2010, 03:35 AM
depends what you can do yourself. If you need to get everything made for you keep hands off

Donzi Vol
10-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Agreed...depends on what you can do yourself. If you have experience with wet sanding and/or gelcoat, then you're probably in a good situation. As for the mercruiser, I think those are merc valv covers on a ford...not a chevy (302?). However, the boat originally came with a ford 289 or 302 marinized by Holman Moody, so that could be another good situation for you...if you're looking for an original boat.

Just be sure to check:
Deck core
Transom (wet?)
Gear lube in outdrive after water test (any water?)

The above are the big deals that you probably won't want to get into unless you basically want to build a new boat. Otherwise, I think it could be an excellent opportunity for a restored all original classic!

GBond
10-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Your thoughts on this Sweet 16 on Ebay

$2000 bucks max, an that's after the deck/transom/stringers/floor check out.

Motor/Outdrive and trailer thrown in for FREE.

You asked.....:biggrin:

Donzi Vol
10-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Your thoughts on this Sweet 16 on Ebay

$2000 bucks max, an that's after the deck/transom/stringers/floor check out.

Motor/Outdrive and trailer thrown in for FREE.

You asked.....:biggrin:

Ouch! That could be a little harsh...especially in the eyes of the seller. Just saying...

somerville99
10-31-2010, 12:02 PM
and I thought 60s models were highly sought after. Since it's running I thought someone would bid on it. Why are the 60s models more desirable than say the 70s/80s? Is it better build quality or the "vintage appeal"?

jl1962
10-31-2010, 01:17 PM
60's models ARE sought after and they were well built. However, after 40+ years, regular maintenance and care will go a lot further towards determining present condition than a build date.

IMHO this boat would be a real project and if that's what you are after - have at it. If not, try to find a nicely restored older boat and buy it for half the cost of the restoration. There are plenty out there.

To me, these boats are nostalgia trips and the old ones hold more appeal. When Don A received the 10 Commandments on 188th St, they said: Thou shalt have Fords and Volvos :wink:. Others will prefer a newer platform. It's apples and oranges.

Good luck and welcome.

GBond
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Ouch! That could be a little harsh...especially in the eyes of the seller. Just saying...

Have a complete survey done and sea trial (it starts) and let us know what ya find out Mr. Sensitivity. :biggrin:

nikster22
11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Hello,

I just joined the forum, mainly because I was looking at this same boat myself! I am surprised that no one has bid, but I am somewhat of a Donzi-novice (not to be confused with boating-novice). I e-mailed the owner back and forth a bit. The history seems legitimate, but even so, I am not sure of what I, or anyone else for that matter, would be getting in to with it. I see a lot of "depends on how nice you want it to be" comments in regard to how much work it may need - does this mean that, given no leaks and a solid running motor/drive, it could be put in the water as-is with some clean up work? I know that is hard to say based purely on the photos and minimal description. However, assuming no major show-stoppers, is this a usable-in-the-Spring Donzi for under $3k or is there no such thing? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nik

somerville99
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I would have thought a running 16' would have attracted some bids. It did not look that bad to me but that's why I wanted input from the much more knowledgable on this forum. I guess an in person inspection is needed before purchase on this one.

Just Say N20
11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
If you want it to be a very clean final product, and don't mind doing the work yourself, AND you have $10,000 available for the project, go for it.

I don't personally know any Donzi owners that don't want their boat to be at least 95%. It is much more cost effective to buy a boat that someone else has already done the work on. A 60s 16 that has been restored recently, and could be bought for $10k - $13k would be a reasonable deal.

GBond
11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Good post Bill...

nikster22
11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Eventually, I would like it to be a clean final product. Certainly the 10k would be an issue, and does put into perspective how economically unreasonable it is to try to restore one in the name of saving money. I guess my question now is: where do you anticipate the 10k would be going? Making a couple of assumptions, such as solid mechanicals and not needing any hull repairs, would most of that go into materials for the hull and deck cosmetics (paint, gelcoat, etc.)? I'm confident that I could handle all of the electrical work, such as reconnecting instruments and lighting. I also have some experience working with fiberglass in the marine environment, so I should be able to tackle most of that work myself, and have a garage where it could be done.

Perhaps this is the incorrect portion of the forum for this discussion, but since it is about this particular vessel, hopefully it will be useful to others at some point. I really appreciate the info!

Nik

axelkloehn
11-04-2010, 03:39 AM
ok, let me tell you:

looks like the deck is not fixed and has many cracks -> needs to be painted or re-gelled, rub-rail is missing, upholstery has mostly holes or bad stitching -> overwork it, otherwise it looks ugly, gauges/switches/electrics -> find new parts? You mostly end up in buying aftermarket which is not too bad, engine looks ok, but is it really reliable when you go out on the lake? Better get it checked, drive needs to be reworked, new bearings/gaskets/paint, check the transom -> mostly rotten wood, also the stringers, when the transom is bad the stringers also have problems, gas tank -> rust or contaminated inside. You need to take the deck of to get the tank out, steering ok? Hull has cracks underwater?...and, and, and....

This is just what I guessed from the photos -> I bought my GT21 for 1500,--, thought I would get it done under 10k - I failed and I did all myself except the upholstery which I bought as aftermarket pieces. But I admit I had to buy an engine and drive which was already 4500,-- added to the shopping list... you might have luck with putting 5k in it and it will be ok... but that is minimum in my opinion.

This board is very helpful, when you start restoring it you will find out there is always somebody showing you how it should be done... trust the guys here, they are all experts in what they are doing. For fiberglass ask gcarter, he is the absolute expert. Engine/drive- listen to what MrFixxall tells you and many more around here with fantastic expertise...

Greg Guimond
11-04-2010, 06:08 AM
There has never been a project that ended up being less costly at the end then the purchase of a fully restored boat. Unless the boat (or car) is either very, very rare, or the particular hull in question holds sentimental value, you are always better off buying a fully finished project, done by someone who understands the craft. I would say it is fair to say you will spend twice as much on doing the restore yourself, then you will on a "finished" purchase.

No one really likes to admit that, they just want to tell you how they got the boat for cheap..........my .02

Just Say N20
11-04-2010, 06:41 AM
All good information.

With the older boats, it seems that with each step deeper you get with checking things out, the more you find that needs attention. Eventually, you realize you are pretty much going to end up rebuilding the entire boat.

For example, I spent $5,600 having my boat prepped and painted. It had about 80 hours of body shop prep work done before being painted, filling in all the gelcoat cracks around the cockpit, and lots of "surface" repair. I know of people who have spent more than twice that on paint for a 16. I have no idea what it would cost to have someone re-gel it.

Figure $1,500 - $2,000 for an interior.

A custom aluminum fuel tank can be made for under $500 ( I was quoted $325 for a 25 gallon tank), but you have to take the deck off to replace it.

I have spent over $650 on West System Epoxy alone. You can use non-epoxy resin for less money.

It all adds up much more quickly than most will admit. But when done, you could have what is basically a new boat. Unless you really love "the project" buy a nice, ready to use boat.

The one advantage to doing it yourself, is you don't have to have all the money up front. You can purchase a little at a time as you move forward.

nikster22
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
All,

This has been eye-opening information, to put it mildly. I must admit that I was being drawn in by the up-front cost and notion of "getting a deal" and letting that blind me from what the boat REALLY needs, which appears to be a lot of work. Good call on the engine, too, as the individual selling it never ran it in the water under load, so who knows what could happen once it's in real-world conditions. In addition, I had no idea that paint, interiors, etc. could cost so much and add up so quickly. I think you have successfully convinced me that a nicely restored, complete boat is definitely the way to go over taking on a large project, even if it means waiting another season or two to save up the money to do so. In poking around on some older posts in the "for sale" area, I see there are some nicely-done units in my neck of the woods for around 10k, which seems quite reasonable.

I must say that everyone who responded has been extraordinarily helpful and I am grateful to have access to this information. What a brilliant resource! You've kept a newbie like me from getting myself in over my head, and I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have many more questions to come. Thanks again,

Nik

Greg Guimond
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Smart move Nik......better to save up a bit more. One thing to note, search nationwide for the right boat. 16's are small so you can pull it with almost anything. When the right one comes along there are a lot of members here who will gladly lend a hand taking a first look to save you time.

maddad
11-04-2010, 11:10 PM
On the other hand, every time I see this ad I have to fight the urge to buy it, take it all apart, clean the pieces and put it back together. It's here on L.I., I may just go take a peek.

Greg Guimond
11-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Did you ever rig your 16 O/B ?

Greg Guimond
11-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I just ran a quick master search and there are 26 Donzi 16 Classic's for sale across the United States. That should help with your "urge".

maddad
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Did you ever rig your 16 O/B ?
These things can't be rushed. My 18 is using all my spare time by running like an animal. By next summer it should be done.