PDA

View Full Version : Painting my Minx 22

Maurice
10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I am getting ready to paint my donzi minx 22 - one painter thinks i should go with a 2 part paint - awlgrip / emron and then a clear coat
is that the right choice ? its the factory dark blue sides white on top and blue stripe in the middle

any advice - i am on a budget and dont want to choose wrong :)

also can anyone suggest a painter in the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale / Palm Beach area that wont be absurdly priced

thanks Maurice Miami 754-423-7777
email maurice@sissecurity.net

gcarter
10-28-2010, 10:44 AM
A Minx is a couple of feet shorter than 22'.
Both of those are good choices, I think one of them is shinier than the other and doesn't require a clearcoat.
There're a lot of other choices also, many are high end automotive paints.
Donzi used BASF Diamont for awhile. I use BASF R-M UNO HD.
There're some members in your area that can reccomend a local shop.

VetteLT193
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
My Minx was painted in the upper Keys. It was right off of rte 1 in northern key largo, guy's name is Tyrone, but I can't think of the shop name for some reason (brain fart)

Thousands cheaper than the next guy. He uses Awlgrip.

There are two kinds of Awlgrip. Real Awlgrip, and Awlcraft 2000. Real Awlgrip is one stage, no clear. Awlcraft is the one you clear. For boats like ours, go wit the Awlcraft (or imron).

I'll try to find the invoice for my boat tonight when I get home. or try to remember the guy's shop name.

Regardless, all the other places I asked about in the country were more expensive.

Barry Eller
10-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Single stage Imron does not require a clear coat and it has very high gloss...unless you get into custom pearls or metallics. Back in 1993 when my Donzi was built by Chris Craft, they used Imron for the boot stripe or the entire sides on colored sided boats. see the link below to view the pdf boat test...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61441

LKSD
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Not all Awlcraft must be cleared, only certain colors. However you can clear all colors if you want to.

Awlcraft must be sprayed, where awlgrip can be applied either way. Awlcraft also has a bit more of a color selection and is considered their premium paint line.

Both are good quality products. Also BASF Diamont & PPG are also good companies that were/are used by Donzi, Cig & other companies. There are some other brands and types that can also be used, but you need to know what you are doing.

The paint to be used will usually depend on what you need it to do & your budget. This needs to be discussed with whom ever is going to repaint your boat.. ;)

Jamie / Lakeside

hot shot
10-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I like matrix system for many reasons. They offer select colors in poly urethane and that is all imron is. Like a cresent wrench is an adjustible wrench cresent is the brand so getting all excited about imron is getting excited about poly urethane.... I am very aware of BASF as I sold it for about 20 years as well as dupont and ppg and dollar for dollar you can;t beat Matrix... I have been a matrix jobber in michigan for 5 1/2 years without a failure My boats have all been done in base / clear it's fairly easy to repair and todays automotive clears hold up very well to uv's and chemical resistance but poly urethane's are more chemical resistant... Good luck with your project..

rchevelle71
11-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I like matrix system for many reasons. They offer select colors in poly urethane and that is all imron is. Like a cresent wrench is an adjustible wrench cresent is the brand so getting all excited about imron is getting excited about poly urethane.... I am very aware of BASF as I sold it for about 20 years as well as dupont and ppg and dollar for dollar you can;t beat Matrix... I have been a matrix jobber in michigan for 5 1/2 years without a failure My boats have all been done in base / clear it's fairly easy to repair and todays automotive clears hold up very well to uv's and chemical resistance but poly urethane's are more chemical resistant... Good luck with your project..

I agree, I like matrix also, the Pantera is adone in Interlux perfection with matrix clear.