PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell / Lake Havasu 2011

Z-Man
10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm interested in making another road trip out west again next year. Looking to see if we want to make an event of it. Rick, Farmer TX, Fegettes, Yeller or others have any thoughts/interest?

zelatore
10-28-2010, 12:00 PM
And what am I? Chopped liver?

Oh wait, my boat's not up and running so I guess I am...

fegettes
10-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Andre,

I hope to be there. Did you know that I am in Phoenix? Unfortunately, both of my boats have been down this whole year. And this ain't right.

Steve

yeller
10-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Would I like to go? You bet! :yes:

Will I have time to go? Have no idea. :confused:

I need at least two weeks off and preferably 3, to make the trip. I don't know if I'll be able to be away that many days in a row. I'd have to say count me out. If I am able to go, I won't know until spring.

I do encourage everyone to take their boat to Powell at least once in their life.

fogducker III
10-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Would I like to go? You bet! :yes:

Will I have time to go? Have no idea. :confused:

I need at least two weeks off and preferably 3, to make the trip. I don't know if I'll be able to be away that many days in a row. I'd have to say count me out. If I am able to go, I won't know until spring.

I do encourage everyone to take their boat to Powell at least once in their life.

Quit being a sissy.....if I go will you lead the way down and show me where to go?

PS. Boat should be up and cooking by then....:yes:

farmer tx
10-28-2010, 11:52 PM
We are thinking of skipping aoth next year and making more trips to Powell. Sometime in late June would work better for us. It's just getting too hard to get away in May.

yeller
10-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Quit being a sissy.....if I go will you lead the way down and show me where to go?

PS. Boat should be up and cooking by then....:yes:
Jeremy, if you commit to go, I'll do my best to get the time off. I might be able to squeak 2 wks off.

You'll have to leave your friggin' gum-boots at home though and you'll have to stay 1 mile behind me, because I'm not going to be seen traveling with a Scarab. :wink: :kingme:

There's also several more guys that we would need to convince to go.......

fogducker III
10-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Jeremy, if you commit to go, I'll do my best to get the time off. I might be able to squeak 2 wks off.

You'll have to leave your friggin' gum-boots at home though and you'll have to stay 1 mile behind me, because I'm not going to be seen traveling with a Scarab. :wink: :kingme:

There's also several more guys that we would need to convince to go.......

I will leave the gumboots at home, I have a Velcro Donzi logo for the side of the boat.....:yes::wink:

PS. Do you think your "pup" truck would make the tow....? :eek:

yeller
10-29-2010, 01:49 PM
PS. Do you think your "pup" truck would make the tow....? :eek:It's done it once before. It handles the boat better than the Dodge Ram it replaced......braking included.

yeller
10-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I may be getting ahead of myself, but I just might be able to get away for this.

Z-man, what time frame are you thinking about? Any later than early June and my chances of going get pretty slim. After Sept 1st is doable though. FarmerTx, could you go early June?

.......and Don, stop wasting your money on land vehicles and get the boat done. :wrench:

RickSE
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
You guys know I'm always here and always eager to have folks come out. We certainly missed you all last year.

We did a family houseboat trip on Powell last year at the end of June and may be doing it again next year, although we're not sure of the timing yet. Late June is still one of the best time periods at the beginning of summer then comes August-September for later in the summer. May and early June can be windy but it does starts to taper off at the end of May. Mid June to early July is good with minimal weather issues and warmer water. The Monsoon storms kick off in early June and last through mid to late August, then the weather is prime mid August through September.

I'm game for any time period. What do you guys think?

farmer tx
10-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I may be getting ahead of myself, but I just might be able to get away for this.

Z-man, what time frame are you thinking about? Any later than early June and my chances of going get pretty slim. After Sept 1st is doable though. FarmerTx, could you go early June?

.......and Don, stop wasting your money on land vehicles and get the boat done. :wrench:
Mid June would be OK.How early are you talking?

Donziweasel
10-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Me, Boo Boo and the twins are in...... :)

RickSE
10-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Our kids get out of school on Thursday June 9th. It would be tough for us to hit this second weekend in June but we could if we had too. So if Thurs thru Sunday then June includes,

June 9-12
June 16-19
June 23-26

yeller
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Mid June would be OK.How early are you talking?
After thinking about it some more, I really am getting ahead of myself. I should back away as I really don't know if I can swing it, so I shouldn't have any influence on the date.

I'll stand back and see what date is decided and then once it gets to late April I'll know if I can make it.

tamburello
10-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Finally got the boat out to SoCal from Michigan. So we may be in.

- Jeff

fogducker III
10-30-2010, 05:26 PM
This could be a good outing.....:)

Jacqui and I are flexible so dates can be whenever......:yes:

PS. As long as Mr.Fix doesn't show up it should be a blast....:wink:

Jraysray
10-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I ALWAYS wanted to head to the desert and do this lake. I want to say we are "all" in but you know how that goes. I will say 65% in. How many TEXAS brothers can I drag with me.......

farmer tx
10-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Andre,

I hope to be there. Did you know that I am in Phoenix? Unfortunately, both of my boats have been down this whole year. And this ain't right.

Steve
You need to do something about that! Also you need one of them in AZ.

fegettes
11-01-2010, 07:12 AM
You need to do something about that! Also you need one of them in AZ.

The Sport is in the shop in League City and Blackhawk is in the shop in Phoenix. I believe I am finally getting resolution to the original problem I have had with that boat with the starboard exhaust overheating. :kingme:

Steve

Z-Man
11-01-2010, 09:52 AM
As for me, I'm generally open on dates. The weather was perfect late June the one time I've been. I think we should start a poll and get things a rollin!

farmer tx
11-02-2010, 12:30 AM
As for me, I'm generally open on dates. The weather was perfect late June the one time I've been. I think we should start a poll and get things a rollin!

2nd that

Z-Man
11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like June or August.

Please select weekend of June 17-19, June 24-26, August 5-7 or Aug 12-14.

Hopefully this gives us a starting point

zelatore
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I'll be watching, but can't make any promises. I really want to get back out to Powell :crossfing:

mrfixxall
11-04-2010, 08:37 PM
This could be a good outing.....:)

Jacqui and I are flexible so dates can be whenever......:yes:

PS. As long as Mr.Fix doesn't show up it should be a blast....:wink:

Niiiiiiiiiiiice! no more information for you......

knock,knock,knock!!! that's what you will be hearing..................

fogducker III
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiice! no more information for you......

knock,knock,knock!!! that's what you will be hearing..................

lmao...joking, relax, I was planning on bringing lots of extra booze just in case you did show up....:wink:

mrfixxall
11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
lmao...joking, relax, I was planning on bringing lots of extra booze just in case you did show up....:wink:

i know!! but thats ok,,i would hate to see you behind the formula getting a twin screw rooste.....

fogducker III
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
i know!! but thats ok,,i would hate to see you behind the formula getting a twin screw rooste.....

If the information you gave me is correct for my install I think you might be getting wet from an SCS wake........:yes:

mrfixxall
11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
If the information you gave me is correct for my install I think you might be getting wet from an SCS wake........:yes:

you have one itty bitty 462 efi with a side mounted huffer,, i have 2 502's far from stock with 2 side mounted huffers so what do you think now??:kingme:

fogducker III
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
you have one itty bitty 462 efi with a side mounted huffer,, i have 2 502's far from stock with 2 side mounted huffers so what do you think now??:kingme:

It is all about the DRIVER......:yes::boat:

mrfixxall
11-05-2010, 08:20 PM
It is all about the DRIVER......:yes::boat:
you were in diapers when i got my boat :)

farmer tx
11-05-2010, 10:27 PM

you have one itty bitty 462 efi with a side mounted huffer,, i have 2 502's far from stock with 2 side mounted huffers so what do you think now??
11-05-2010 04:26 PM

Bring em on boys, there is plenty of lake for everyone:yes:

farmer tx
11-05-2010, 10:44 PM
When you have a ramp like this you know it's some serious boating.:shocking:

Donziweasel
11-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Powell is something every boater should do once in thier lives. Been there a few times and after growing up in the South East, it is like no other lake you have ever been on. I will admit I have never been to the south part of the lake. All my experience is the middle and northern parts, including the San Juan arm (best part of Powell if you ask me). We usually put in at Bullfrog. Would like to see the southern part.

Only and 7-8 hour drive for me. I am flexible on dates, would just like a little breathing room between AOTH and Powell. Things should be easier for us now that we have the RV.

Jeremy, since you are coming by me, feel free to hole up at the Lazy P for a few days coming down or going back if you make it. Same goes for any of the BC/ Northwest contingency. :)

fogducker III
11-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Powell is something every boater should do once in thier lives. Been there a few times and after growing up in the South East, it is like no other lake you have ever been on. I will admit I have never been to the south part of the lake. All my experience is the middle and northern parts, including the San Juan arm (best part of Powell if you ask me). We usually put in at Bullfrog. Would like to see the southern part.

Only and 7-8 hour drive for me. I am flexible on dates, would just like a little breathing room between AOTH and Powell. Things should be easier for us now that we have the RV.

Jeremy, since you are coming by me, feel free to hole up at the Lazy P for a few days coming down or going back if you make it. Same goes for any of the BC/ Northwest contingency. :)

We appreciate the offer....:yes:

Once the dates are set we will work out a game plan and do a leisurely "stroll" down there..... at least I know this boat IS registered to me.............:eek::wink:

RickSE
11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Sounds like June or August.

Please select weekend of June 17-19, June 24-26, August 5-7 or Aug 12-14.

Hopefully this gives us a starting point

These are all good dates.

The June 24-26 is probably the better June date, giving the lake another week to heat up and closer to the runoff peak, although the lake is not in bad shape now*.

As for August, again both dates are good. The summer storms will still be around but the water is so nice and warm by August. The storms are only a big deal if you camp on the lake otherwise you just outrun or wait them out when they come by.

I'm good with any date but I would like to wait until I have a chance to talk to my wife's family to determine the date of our houseboat trip. I should know this info by Thanksgiving when we all get together.

*This is a long story and shouldn't effect us too much but there is a chance that the BLM will have to equalize Lake Powell and Lake Mead next year. Long story short, Powell is good on water, Mead (Vegas) is not. Powell feeds Mead and if the 2010-11 winter is bad they may have to release above normal water levels out of Powell to bring the water level up in Mead. If so this may take Powell back down to the water levels we saw at the first Donzi event in 2006. I'm hoping this doesn't happen but we'll be fine if it does.

RickSE
11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I guess our family houseboat trip is a no-go next year so I'm open to any dates. I'd suggest the end of June dates, 24-26.

yeller
12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm working on the wife to attend this. It's my 50th in early June and she wants to take an all-inclusive holiday somewhere exotic. I'm happy with a beer in hand and near some water. Of course it also depends on how the business is going at that time. Time will tell :crossfing:

yeller
12-01-2010, 12:22 AM
And what am I? Chopped liver?

Oh wait, my boat's not up and running so I guess I am...Sending you some $$ for the letters. Should easily be able to get the boat done now. :wink:

(Sorry it took so long)

zelatore
12-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Never thought twice about it.

Should have been out working on the boat last week, but a nasty flu has kept me from doing much of anything. 103+ is good for octane, not body temp!

Donziweasel
12-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Did we ever get dates confirmed for this?

John

thriller
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I got Holidays in August..Lake is Warmer?
I would Love to do this Trip Again:convertib:

RickSE
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Did we ever get dates confirmed for this?
John No not really.

I got Holidays in August..Lake is Warmer?
I would Love to do this Trip Again:convertib: Thriller, I'm good with August, probably early Aug., but sounds like we'll loose Yeller's chances. farmerTX, are you available in early Aug? I know you we're over here once before in Aug. for Powellfest.

Donziweasel
12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Early August would be better for me than June. Plus, water is nice! :)

farmer tx
12-10-2010, 10:35 PM
No not really.
Thriller, I'm good with August, probably early Aug., but sounds like we'll loose Yeller's chances. farmerTX, are you available in early Aug? I know you we're over here once before in Aug. for Powellfest.
I can make time for Powell anytime. We got caught in some BIG wind that time in August though. You can run but you can't hide.

Cuda
12-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I have a cousin who boats and camps on Lake Powell.

Team Jefe
12-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm watching this closely.....its a long shot for me, especially for how I think 2011 will be going, but you never know...Team Jefe has done crazier things in the past:nilly:

fegettes
12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm watching this closely.....its a long shot for me, especially for how I think 2011 will be going, but you never know...Team Jefe has done crazier things in the past:nilly:

Jefe, it will be worth your efforts to see Lake Powell, a little piece of Heaven out here. And for going this great of distance, I recommend some extra time to see Lake Havasu also.

Steve

Jraysray
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Jefe, it will be worth your efforts to see Lake Powell, a little piece of Heaven out here. And for going this great of distance, I recommend some extra time to see Lake Havasu also.

Steve

Could turn into a 2fer! im rolling vacation over so I will have some extra time.

farmer tx
12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Any of you South Texas guys that need a place to layover come on by, we are about 75 miles south of Amarillo on I-27. It is 12 hours to Lake Powell from here. I think Houston is 11 hours south of us.

Z-Man
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm good with early August if that ends up being the better date for most of the group.

Team Jefe
12-16-2010, 12:45 PM
OK guys, I'll work on it...doesn't really matter but August is probably better for me too.

Jraysray
12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
EARLY August................

RickSE
12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
EARLY August................

Yes, sounds like it.

Lets just say August 4-7th for Powell and start moving forward.

I'd love to see some folks come back and also some new faces. Powell is a unique place and a long haul for almost everyone but you won't regret coming. I'll work on blocking a group rate at Wahweap Marina and get some other info together.

Donzi5150
12-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes, sounds like it.

Lets just say August 4-7th for Powell and start moving forward.

I'd love to see some folks come back and also some new faces. Powell is a unique place and a long haul for almost everyone but you won't regret coming. I'll work on blocking a group rate at Wahweap Marina and get some other info together.

Keep this updated please, I am stuck in the Sacramento area and could use a road trip....getting burnt out hanging out with a bunch of suck, I mean jet boaters, on the delta all the time....would be a great change of pace.

zelatore
12-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Keep this updated please, I am stuck in the Sacramento area and could use a road trip....getting burnt out hanging out with a bunch of suck, I mean jet boaters, on the delta all the time....would be a great change of pace.

It's a long haul from Sacramento, but it's worth it!

I'm hoping to do it again this year, but I've been keeping my mouth shut as I don't really know what will happen by then.

Looks like we're starting to get a few more delta members on board these days. Perhaps soon all those east coast guys will be longing for a chance to come out to California for some boating!

Then again, perhaps not. :wink:

RickSE
12-21-2010, 02:37 PM
...Perhaps soon all those east coast guys will be longing for a chance to come out to California for some boating!..

I still think we need a Western Swing event; start at Powell or Havasu then on to Tahoe, the Delta, a WA Lake & end then event in Vancouver. A few of could start down South and pick people up along the way; 2-days at each body of water.

yeller
12-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I still think we need a Western Swing event; start at Powell or Havasu then on to Tahoe, the Delta, a WA Lake & end then event in Vancouver. A few of could start down South and pick people up along the way; 2-days at each body of water.Now you're talkin! That would be a great trip. Just for reference; it takes me 20hrs towing the boat from Vancouver to Powell. 14~16hrs the 1st day, then a short 4~6hr drive and I'm at Powell on day 2. So start planning it out for 2012.

I'm still holding out hope that I can make Powell this year...but it's pretty unlikely I can get away in August.

zelatore
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I still think we need a Western Swing event; start at Powell or Havasu then on to Tahoe, the Delta, a WA Lake & end then event in Vancouver. A few of could start down South and pick people up along the way; 2-days at each body of water.

That would be quite the logistical challenge, but if you're serious I'd certainly join in for at least part of the trip! Heck, I live in the delta so I could probably make it out for that section anyway...:wink:

For reference, it's about a 14 hr run from my area in Sacramento to Powell; about 13 hrs to Seattle, and less than 3 to Tahoe. Unfortunately, there's no 'direct' route from Powell to Tahoe or the delta. You end up swinging south-west almost to LA before heading back north. It would be half the distance if you could travel as the crow flies.

yeller
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
That would be quite the logistical challenge, but if you're serious I'd certainly join in for at least part of the trip!.The lack of direct routes to Tahoe and the Delta do cause problems. I attempted the suggested route, but it wasn't feasible to get done in a 2 week holiday. I did Powell, Havasu, Delta, Lake WA, then home (Vancouver). I ended up dropping the Tahoe section.

RickSE
12-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I can't remember which way you guys came down but I went up 95, thru Vegas, last time I went up to Tahoe. Could just skip Tahoe and head to the Delta from AZ. Maybe add Shasta? I'd probably return to AZ thru Salt Lake.

yeller
12-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I can't remember which way you guys came down but I went up 95, thru Vegas, last time I went up to Tahoe. Could just skip Tahoe and head to the Delta from AZ. Maybe add Shasta? I'd probably return to AZ thru Salt Lake.You just reminded me Rick. I did Shasta on that tour as well. I debated on Tahoe or the Delta. I went to Sacramento, but didn't end up actually boating the Delta.
I came down through Salt Lake. It's the quickest way from Vancouver to Powell.

zelatore
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Tahoe and the Delta are only a few hours apart, depending on where in the Delta you are.

Delta boating isn't spectacular like Powell or some of the other lakes, but it is unique. And to be honest, although Tahoe has some impressive scenery and is worth visiting, it's not great boating. FWIW, although old town in Sacramento is worth visiting by boat, I probably wouldn't recommend launching there as it's about 30 miles down-river to anything else interesting. Of course, you do get to go right past my house on that run, so it's not all bad. The central delta has far more going on. In fact, locals don't consider Sacramento the delta at all, simply the Sacramento River.

I've talked about it for years, but I've never boated on Shasta. If you're hitting the delta though, it's literally right on the way toward Washington so why not? It's just a matter of finding the time.

Keep talking - I'm listening. I need the motivation for my projects :wink:

Cuda
12-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Mt Shasta is some of the prettiest county I've seen. We went straight up I-5 to get there. It was snowing, so we didn't stop. You can see Lake Shasta from the interstate.

RickSE
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Sorry everyone, it's been a pretty busy winter for us and I haven't had time to request any lodging for thie event. I'll send a request in this week.

RickSE
05-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Do we have folks seriously interested in attending this event? It's been pretty quiet lately.

The snowpack above Powell huge right now, >220% of average, so the lake is really going to fill up this year; even though a significant amount of water has been released to Mead. The lake will be significantly different then any of you have seen as the big bays start to re-merge and fill up.

yorkey
05-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey guys

I was just checking to see if any of you are planning to be in Lake Havasu for Memorial day this year... I will be there with my 22 classic.

If anyone is interested in meeting up out there somewhere, Lemme know

Jeff Yorke
949-289-8711