PDA

View Full Version : Adequate respirator (fiberglass)

scippy
10-26-2010, 11:13 PM
What (half face) respirator is best to use when grinding fiberglass?.....I have several 3M masks that I used when down at ground zero, but that might be ill suited for this type of "powder room grind" .......... Back then we used the half face 3M-6001 Organic vapor bayonet style cartridge..........although, I'm just starting out on the grinder and the little I've done so far, I really can't detect any particles coming through, but that doesn't mean I'm using an adequate mask..........What type should I be using?

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-26-2010, 11:35 PM
What (half face) respirator is best to use when grinding fiberglass?.....I have several 3M masks that I used when down at ground zero, but that might be ill suited for this type of "powder room grind" .......... Back then we used the half face 3M-6001 Organic vapor bayonet style cartridge..........although, I'm just starting out on the grinder and the little I've done so far, I really can't detect any particles coming through, but that doesn't mean I'm using an adequate mask..........What type should I be using? Scippy , i always use a full face mask for the heavy stuff wearing a head sock with a Tyveck suit and gloves taping off any area that might have a chance for any dust to get in such as the sleeves , and neck and when ever i buy a new suit i always go with a xxx large just to give you a little more x-tra room .

22times2
10-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Look into a fresh air supplyed hood it has a full size window for a good view.We use these to paint cars and work great regards.

Tidbart
10-27-2010, 06:43 AM
I would use the same respirator. You don't need the 6000 series filters for grinding, no chemicals. You can get a particulate filter holder for the mask or you can add a particulate filter over the 6001. Filters should be N95 rated.

See the 3M site for more detail.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=8G2B3GV59PbeF 3RH7CD92Ngl

Bob

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Scippy , the bottom line is do you feel comfortable when grinding with a half mask and can you see without dust getting in your eyes and your face? Hey guys , the hoods with air makeup are awsome & can get very pricey after all is said and done .

GBond
10-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Can't stress anuff... your professional resources. :bonk:

LKSD
10-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Scippy , i always use a full face mask for the heavy stuff wearing a head sock with a Tyveck suit and gloves taping off any area that might have a chance for any dust to get in such as the sleeves , and neck and when ever i buy a new suit i always go with a xxx large just to give you a little more x-tra room .

I agree. This is what I use as well. They can be uncomfortable after being in them for a while, but not as bad as you can feel doing the work without that stuff on.

That chit is some nasty stuff & it is wise to protect yourself from the dust & fibers when grinding and doing heavy sanding.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

scippy
10-29-2010, 10:05 PM
I would use the same respirator. You don't need the 6000 series filters for grinding, no chemicals. You can get a particulate filter holder for the mask or you can add a particulate filter over the 6001. Filters should be N95 rated.

See the 3M site for more detail.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=8G2B3GV59PbeF 3RH7CD92Ngl

Bob

Thanks for the website, the mimimum I'll need for fiberglass dust is 2071 filters that will go directly on the facepiece. Thanks to all for the help.

mc donzi
10-30-2010, 04:55 PM
The fit of the respirator face piece is also critical. If it is too big or if you have facial hair you won't get a good seal between your skin and the rubber face piece. That could allow the fibres into your airway.
The way to check for a good fit is as follows:

Cover the exhalation valve(usually at the bottom and over your chin) with the palm of your hand and gently exhale... you should feel the pliable rubber face piece 'puff' up.

Cover the inhalation valves(the cartridges) with the palms of your hands and inhale... you should feel the rubber face piece suck in or collapse a little.

If it doesn't do both of these... you don't have the protection.