PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Plexiglass windhield

Dr. David Fleming
10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
1999 Donzi 22ZX plexiglass winshield - does it need any special care? Mine has been covered most of its life except when boating - 300hrs. Seems to show some faint lines "crazing" within the plastic when looking into the sun - anyone know any standard maintenance on Donzi windshields? Someone said not to use any harsh chemicals - just been using windex on mine.

I believe most plastic can be buffed with standard plastic buffing compounds - anyone tried this?

UPD Plastics at updplastics647@bellsouth.net has been advertising making this windshield - anyone know if this is the Donzi supplier?

LKSD
10-26-2010, 07:21 AM
1999 Donzi 22ZX plexiglass winshield - does it need any special care? Mine has been covered most of its life except when boating - 300hrs. Seems to show some faint lines "crazing" within the plastic when looking into the sun - anyone know any standard maintenance on Donzi windshields? Someone said not to use any harsh chemicals - just been using windex on mine.

I believe most plastic can be buffed with standard plastic buffing compounds - anyone tried this?

UPD Plastics at updplastics647@bellsouth.net has been advertising making this windshield - anyone know if this is the Donzi supplier?

Spartech used to make them for Donzi. They have folded about a year or so ago. Also the 22zx was discontinued a few years back eventhough it was a good boat. UPD makes mainly Fish boat windshields & has been known to advertise some stuff he cant or wont make depending on his mood..

I can make a windshield for most any of these either in house or with one of our vendors. They can however get pricey.

If your windshield is just a little dirty, or you want to clean it well without causing damage to it there are a some things that work rather well.. It may be all you need at this point, if not it is at least worth a try..

First there is a plastic & jeep window type cleaner made by Meguiars that works rather well. It deep cleans & polishes without damaging acrylic or lexan. The other one is Nexus, which is a spray & worked(s) ok for light cleaning.

If you use window cleaner DO NOT ever use Windex or regular cleaners with ammonia in them. They are very harsh on the plastics and can slowly damage them. If you do use a glass cleaner only use one that is ammonia free & window tint safe..

:) Jamie / Lakeside

LuauLounge
10-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I've had excellant results with Plexus... Makes small scratches and swirl marks disappear.

VetteLT193
10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
The best stuff I have used for keeping good plexi nice for the long term is Real Zymol. it is not abrasive at all. it should be pre-cleaned with their cleaner (HD Cleanse, also not abrasive). This is not the junk you get from Wal Mart, you have to get it from an Automotive boutique or Zymol.com.

I used it on my Lexan roof panels on the Corvettes I had and they never cracked, crazed, hazed, or anything else. They looked like new after years of use. I have also used them in the marine world on plexi parts with the same results.

The down side.... The stuff is simply not long lasting.

I also tried pretty much every other product out there, but nothing matched zymol.

LKSD
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Those 2 products are also good the main thing is to stay away from the junk stuff, especially the stuff with ammonia in it.. :)

joseph m. hahnl
10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.gtglass.com/headlight-restoration/headlight-restoration-and-repair

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-240KT-Headlight-Restorer/dp/B001TI5IIQ