PDA

View Full Version : Please Confirm this is 06 Donzi Shelby Classic

Selenium
10-22-2010, 03:14 PM
This boat looks different than the 2007 Donzi Shelby GT I've seen. But the more pressing is the Engine. I was told that this one is 496 Mag with 425HP please see picture. I thought it was the 496 Mag HO that has 425HP and the regular 496 Mag has 375H? Am I missing something here? Donzi Classic Owners....please chime in.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm wainting on the VIN...coming soon. BTW...this boat only has 11 hrs on the engine for an 2006.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
What can you make out from this VIN: DNAC2020E506 ???

I'm wainting on the VIN...coming soon. BTW...this boat only has 11 hrs on the engine for an 2006.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
According to this thread it's not a Shelby and I questioned the HP too...maybe the salesman didn't know what he's talking about...

#1 Told me it was an 06 Shelby.
#2 Told me it has 425HP
#3 Told me it witnessed it doing 80 MPH

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=468754

BUIZILLA
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM
375 HP

std X dimension

more like low low 70ish..... maybe

yeller
10-22-2010, 03:45 PM
It is a hot looking boat though. 375hp should still get you to 70mph, maybe a tad more. I'd get the computer checked (in person) to verify those hours though.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys.

Talked to a different salesman.

1. Not a Shelby.
2. Engine is 496 Mag which is 375 HP but he will run the serial # by Mercruiser.

39K without trailer....what you think?

Pismo
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Cool boat but not a Shelby, classic salesman BS...If it went 80 it was on a trailer..

Carl C
10-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Doesn't look like a Shelby to me for these reasons:
Standard "X"
Regular seats
Single throttle contril?
No enging hatch scoop
Standard windshield
Not an HO

This is a 70 mph boat maybe a bit more.

Carl C
10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys.

Talked to a different salesman.

1. Not a Shelby.
2. Engine is 496 Mag which is 375 HP but he will run the serial # by Mercruiser.

39K without trailer....what you think?

I'd keep looking. There are better deals.
Would you still trust these people after all that BS they fed you??

Selenium
10-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Well they did get me excited for 10 seconds....I knew you guys would give me the truth. The thing was...they threw me off thinking this was the first few 06 Shelby hence didn't have the classic marking of the 07 Shelby I've seen. Anyway nice boat never the less. Fine they want 39K....but turning to NADA used boat how much can I trust this....NADA seems to low ball on Donzi....25K for 06 Classic...I would want to know what a fair price for this boat is? BTW...I'm in a stalemate with the salesman on the new 009 Donzi in Dallas.

Please NADA picture for a used 06 Classic.

I'd keep looking. There are better deals.
Would you still trust these people after all that BS they fed you??

Carl C
10-22-2010, 04:50 PM
NADA means nada when it comes to used boats IMO.
Is it a saltwater boat? Do you really think an '06 has only 11 hours? You will need to buy a trailer. You will probably wish you had the HO. Keep looking.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
1. Fresh Water boat.
2. Story goes...old man 70ish got the boat...too much boat...wife made him get rid of it...traded in for a new Chriscraft.
3. 06 11 hrs - can easily be confirmed with the electronic computer reading (when and if the time comes)
4. Sales guy told me: He talked to Mercrusier Tech Support and run the Serial #, Engine MCM 496 mag, Serial ow060639....and is 425HP. I will call up Mercruiser on this settle this issue!!!
5. So what's a fair value for this boat?

NADA means nada when it comes to used boats IMO.
Is it a saltwater boat? Do you really think an '06 has only 11 hours? You will need to buy a trailer. You will probably wish you had the HO. Keep looking.

Carl C
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
If all that is true the boat should be perfect. My '05 is darn near perfect with about 300 hours. Verify the hours. Maybe it is worth the price. I would just be leery of anything they tell you after what you've posted here! Hmmm, an old man bought it and only put 11 hours on it......

A little old lady only drove it to church on Sunday....

RickSE
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
This looks like the "Blueliner" copy boat that was for sale at a dealer up in Seattle a few years ago.

My only concern would be that a 2006 will more then likely need the stringer repair. A 2006 with a 496MAG & 11-hrs will probably not show any signs yet but there's always the potential for it to appear. I'd account for the fact that you may have to put a couple grand into the bottom of this boat in the future; assuming the stringer repairs hasn't been completed.

I've seen 496's with the wrong cowling cover. Ask how many rams are on the trim tabs. 496MAG-HO boats had dual ram trim tabs, 496MAG boats had single ram tabs. It almost looks like dual ram tabs in the picture.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi Rick!!!

Ok...one thing is settled...it does have dual rams...see the pix. I will check on the stringer issue. This boat now has high potential on my list vs. that 009.

Thanks Rick and everyone else too.

This looks like the "Blueliner" copy boat that was for sale at a dealer up in Seattle a few years ago.

My only concern would be that a 2006 will more then likely need the stringer repair. A 2006 with a 496MAG & 11-hrs will probably not show any signs yet but there's always the potential for it to appear. I'd account for the fact that you may have to put a couple grand into the bottom of this boat in the future; assuming the stringer repairs hasn't been completed.

I've seen 496's with the wrong cowling cover. Ask how many rams are on the trim tabs. 496MAG-HO boats had dual ram trim tabs, 496MAG boats had single ram tabs. It almost looks like dual ram tabs in the picture.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey Rick, this is the boat in Seattle...they just moved it down to Portland but will take it up to Seattle if I'm serious. So the color scheme is called "Blue Liner" what did you mean by "copy"?

RickSE
10-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes, dual ram tabs and the B1-X drive both suggest it is or at least was a 496MAG-HO boat. More then likely with 11-hrs. it still is a HO. As mentioned, I've seen this before and have pictures of a MAG-HO 22C going down the line at Donzi with a MAG engine cowling cover.

RickSE
10-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey Rick, this is the boat in Seattle...they just moved it down to Portland but will take it up to Seattle if I'm serious. So the color scheme is called "Blue Liner" what did you mean by "copy"?

Blueliner is a member on the board, up in Vancouver. He ordered a solid Blue 2005 Aronow from my dad but wanted to add white Shelby stripes on the deck and down the transom. Donzi at first said "NO" since the Aronow was intended to be a solid color only boat with no graphics. They eventually said yes and he got what he wanted. We were later told that as Blueliner's boat was going down the line someone at the factory saw it and said "hey, that looks pretty good" and thus started the 22-GT and eventually the 22-Shelby saga. Somehow this boat came off the line just after Blueliner's boat and was delivered to Seattle, minus the transom stripes. But then again the stripes on this boat are slim like the 40th Anniv. boats.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Here's the engine/transome/outdrive serial #s.

Yes, dual ram tabs and the B1-X drive both suggest it is or at least was a 496MAG-HO boat. More then likely with 11-hrs. it still is a HO. As mentioned, I've seen this before and have pictures of a MAG-HO 22C going down the line at Donzi with a MAG engine cowling cover.

RickSE
10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Here's Blueliner's boat. They look awesome in the Navy Blue with the white stripes.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50874

I can't remember, is the bottom white or blue on this boat?

I can't tell from the above serial numbers. You'd have to call Mercruiser & ask but it's probably an HO with the items I mention above.

Selenium
10-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I will call Merc on on Monday. The bottom is white. What's a fair price for this boat with a 496 Mag HO?

Here's Blueliner's boat. They look awesome in the Navy Blue with the white stripes.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50874

I can't remember, is the bottom white or blue on this boat?

I can't tell from the above serial numbers. You'd have to call Mercruiser & ask but it's probably an HO with the items I mention above.

RickSE
10-22-2010, 06:29 PM
I will call Merc on on Monday. The bottom is white. What's a fair price for this boat with a 496 Mag HO?

FYI, since it's a white bottom then the blue is probably paint and not gel. Not bad just something to consider. They never paint the bottom since it will typically bubble if left in the water.

$39K isn't bad, especially with the low hours, but I'd want a trailer. Tell them, "Hey, but it's sitting on a trailer in the picture". :wink:

Selenium
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Rick,

What gives it away as a B1-X??? I see a red X. What does the B stands for?

Selenium
10-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Nevermind...duh moment Bravo1X

Rick,

What gives it away as a B1-X??? I see a red X. What does the B stands for?

bizpoop.com
10-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I just bought used '06 with 172 hrs. and very clean. Hull # CX007. See pic. There's been a lot of banter as to whether or not mine was one of the first Shelby's or maybe even the first. The factory at the time of my build was in the middle of a tug of war with Carroll Shelby for the rights. Story goes (and admittedly there are several versions) that the boat was ordered as a shelby but the rights not secured yet. Went out of the factory without stickers then the deal was signed and the stickers sent and applied. Do yourself a favor, call Donzi Marine and speak to "Chuck" he will pull the file on your boat and tell you the history, when it was bought new and who has registered the hull (warranty). You can do research from there up. Also, Mercrusiser can give you warranty info (unless no one bothered to register the engine warranty with them). I was told by Merc that the engine data memory can be cleared so that's not entirely reliable.
Looks like a very clean boat. Something to keep in mind, don't get scared away by opinions you hear and read. If it looks really well maintained, runs strong, etc. it's probably a great boat. It all comes down to the deal after that.

bizpoop.com
10-23-2010, 09:59 AM
sorry here's pics

yeller
10-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Hey Rick, this is the boat in Seattle...they just moved it down to Portland but will take it up to Seattle if I'm serious.
Powerboats NW in Seattle originally ordered that boat. I was trying to convince my wife to let me buy a 22C, but she didn't want to. I took her to the Seattle boat show in 06 and showed her that boat. She changed her mind after seeing that one. It's a beautiful boat. I would have bought it if I had the $ at the time.

It's really up to you to decide if it's worth 39K. Plan to spend right around $3k if it ends up needing the stringer repair. That boat may easily have a couple years left on the hull warranty though. Depends when it originally sold.
Myself, I'd offer them $32k with a trailer.

Selenium
10-24-2010, 04:38 AM
The Stringer issue affected from what yrs? Can I call Donzi with the HIN and be able to know if this boat falls into the affected dates?

Powerboats NW in Seattle originally ordered that boat. I was trying to convince my wife to let me buy a 22C, but she didn't want to. I took her to the Seattle boat show in 06 and showed her that boat. She changed her mind after seeing that one. It's a beautiful boat. I would have bought it if I had the $ at the time.

It's really up to you to decide if it's worth 39K. Plan to spend right around $3k if it ends up needing the stringer repair. That boat may easily have a couple years left on the hull warranty though. Depends when it originally sold.
Myself, I'd offer them $32k with a trailer.

gcarter
10-24-2010, 06:08 AM
The Stringer issue affected from what yrs? Can I call Donzi with the HIN and be able to know if this boat falls into the affected dates?

I think the years are from about '02 through about '08.
I suppose only Donzi knows for sure. They would be the folks that changed the layup schedule in some way in the earlier '00 years.
There're plenty of boats from '94, the first year of AMH ownership, that have the wider stringer and strake spacing that are running big power w/o any hull issues. Also, there're no longer any issues on any new boats that Donzi has built (but they haven't built any in awhile) due to a completely new layup schedule which includes coring inbetween the stringers.

RickSE
10-24-2010, 12:16 PM

From my understanding 1999 thru mid-2007 are all suspect. I've seen a 99' with the repair and they certainly knew about the issue by early model year 2007. The issues take time to develop and it typically only happens with the big motor boats. I'd be surprised if Donzi offers anything up unless the boat already shows problems. Who knows, these are hand built boats and this one may be OK but we've seen a lot of MAG-HO boats develop the problem.

Selenium
10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Rick,

You know who I should talk to at Donzi on the stringer issue or potential and do you have a phone #? All I have for Donzi is 888.441.1616

Selenium
10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Dealer called Donzi and talked to Chuck Wagner...he stated the stringer issue affected boats made during 2002-2004. Anyone here has Donzi Support #...I want to talk to them myself to get peace of mind.

Rick,

You know who I should talk to at Donzi on the stringer issue or potential and do you have a phone #? All I have for Donzi is 888.441.1616

Selenium
10-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Got it....Chuck Wagner.

Rahmqvist
10-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Doesn't look like a Shelby to me for these reasons:
Standard "X"
Regular seats
Single throttle contril?
No enging hatch scoop
Standard windshield
Not an HO

This is a 70 mph boat maybe a bit more.

Hi Carl

Out of curiosity.. How fast is your boat? Is it a 22 classic btw, I've only seen the pic of the racing engine..

/Stefan

RickSE
10-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Dealer called Donzi and talked to Chuck Wagner...he stated the stringer issue affected boats made during 2002-2004...

Not true. There was a 2005 Aronow and a 2006 Shelby at the factory being fixed when mine was there. Plus DudeHoss' 2006 is a documented boat which had some serious problems and forced a revision #2 change of the repair procedure.

DudeHoss' main post (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47062&highlight=cracks)

The best scinerio would be for Donzi to honnor the hull warranty and give you some time in the boat to see if problems develop. Find out when the warranty kicked in on this boat. 2007-2008?? Donzi has been very helpful on these issues in the past so I wouldn't let this break the deal on this boat. I'd just let Chuck know your concerns and see what he says.

Have you gotten your eyes on the boat yet?

Selenium
10-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Rick,

I talked to Chuck...nice guy. He told me the stringer issue affected earlier boats 02-04 but he has seen them on later Classics too. He told me to take good pictures of the stringer and send them his way, so that he can tell if the upgrade was done to this boat as part of production. If not then he would work with me on getting the upgrade at the local shop cost $1200-2000 regardless if there signs of cracking. First owner got the boat in 3/8/2007 so there couple years left on the warranty. I put down a fully refundable deposit to take the boat off the market. I'm going down to Portland on Sat to take a look and to get the pictures for Chuck. If everything goes well, I will have a boat surveyor comes out the following weekend to do a complete survey with sea trial. Thanks for all your help Rick.

Not true. There was a 2005 Aronow and a 2006 Shelby at the factory being fixed when mine was there. Plus DudeHoss' 2006 is a documented boat which had some serious problems and forced a revision #2 change of the repair procedure.

DudeHoss' main post (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47062&highlight=cracks)

The best scinerio would be for Donzi to honnor the hull warranty and give you some time in the boat to see if problems develop. Find out when the warranty kicked in on this boat. 2007-2008?? Donzi has been very helpful on these issues in the past so I wouldn't let this break the deal on this boat. I'd just let Chuck know your concerns and see what he says.

Have you gotten your eyes on the boat yet?

Selenium
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
BTW...this boat also comes with

1. Captain Exhaust
2. GPS
3. Dual battery

VetteLT193
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Rick,

I talked to Chuck...nice guy. He told me the stringer issue affected earlier boats 02-04 but he has seen them on later Classics too. He told me to take good pictures of the stringer and send them his way, so that he can tell if the upgrade was done to this boat as part of production. If not then he would work with me on getting the upgrade at the local shop cost $1200-2000 regardless if there signs of cracking. First owner got the boat in 3/8/2007 so there couple years left on the warranty. I put down a fully refundable deposit to take the boat off the market. I'm going down to Portland on Sat to take a look and to get the pictures for Chuck. If everything goes well, I will have a boat surveyor comes out the following weekend to do a complete survey with sea trial. Thanks for all your help Rick.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the warranty is only transferable one time. It is worth talking to the seller and Donzi about the warranty to be sure you can transfer it.

take this for what it is worth because it is fully from memory, I might be off base.

Selenium
10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
VetteLT193,

Chuck in charge of warranty stated...warranty is transferable to as many people as you want as long as you transfer it within 30 days by the new owner.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the warranty is only transferable one time. It is worth talking to the seller and Donzi about the warranty to be sure you can transfer it.

take this for what it is worth because it is fully from memory, I might be off base.

Carl C
10-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi Carl

Out of curiosity.. How fast is your boat? Is it a 22 classic btw, I've only seen the pic of the racing engine..

/Stefan

Yup, 22 Classic, 2005. Runs 83 pretty much anytime. Best recorded gps speed to date is 85.8 and that was hitting the rev limiter.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Boating176Medium.jpg

gcarter
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Uh-Oh!
Carl took his shirt off again!!!!!:shades::nilly:

Unlike some others here that won't wear shorts, I will!

But no-one here will see me w/o a shirt! :lookaroun::yes::boggled:

Carl C
10-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Uh-Oh!
Carl took his shirt off again!!!!!:shades::nilly:

Unlike some others here that won't wear shorts, I will!

But no-one here will see me w/o a shirt! :lookaroun::yes::boggled:

The matching shorts came with the boat ;). Hey I'm proud to be able to go shirtless at 56 years old!

axelkloehn
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
The matching shorts came with the boat ;). Hey I'm proud to be able to go shirtless at 56 years old!

Carl, looks like you had a hard time breathing in that long, I can see that in your frozen smile :wink:

bizpoop.com
10-27-2010, 10:06 PM
picked up my boat today. Was delivered to Mt. Dora Marina and had service done b/4 I took it. It's been there since it arrived a couple wks ago by transport and I've only had an hour with it since. I live 300 miles away. In the meantime all this banter about the stringer issues had me up at night. I had the glass guy inspect it throughly and found no cracks at all not even a stress crack I double checked him after I got it home. Boat has always been on flat calm lakes and has low hours so maybe I got lucky with this one? Anyway I'm thrilled with it. Cuts the water at 50 with no effort. Not ready to throw all the coal to her yet. Bass fishing will never be the same around here. sorry.