PDA

View Full Version : Well all the sensors are finally connected...

CHACHI
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
After instaslling all new gauges a few years ago, I was at a loss for the oil temp gauge.

I know the best place is in the pan, but I was not going to pull the engine to do it. So I have finally decided to install the temp sender in the oil filter housing.

I think the sender is going to read the oil temp after the cooler, but it will still show "some oil temp". I guess if the oil temps going back to the motor is over 300F, I have lots of issues.

But any way here are a couple of photos of the sender in the housing.

Haven't ran the engine to get a temp because of course I did the install after I winterized the motor.

mike o
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Mr. Oil man,:kingme: whats an acceptable oil temp? Anybody ever shoot an remote oil filter with a heat temp gun to see what their oil temp is?

gcarter
10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
You know, there're some universal mount filter heads w/mirrored ports.
It's easy to install in one of those.

Rodger
10-21-2010, 06:47 AM
My oil temp sensor is at the oil pan but I am currently adding a second sensor where the oil exits the coolers. I'll run both sensor leads thru a switch I can activate at the dash allowing me to see either oil temp; before or after being cooled. I run two oil coolers. The primary cooler always has water flowing thru it and the other allows forced water flow which is noticeable above 20 MPH. Oil flow is controlled with a thermostat and the oil is piped thru the two coolers in series. Adding the second oil temp sensor should give me a good idea of how effective the coolers are...especially the second cooler with the forced water flow.

CHACHI
10-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Mr. Oil man,:kingme: whats an acceptable oil temp? Anybody ever shoot an remote oil filter with a heat temp gun to see what their oil temp is?

Mike, oil is tested at 210 in the lab. I wold say at 250 you need not worry, start pushing 300 and you will have to find extra oil cooling.

I have seen 345 in a race car with no issues, but then they did change the oil often.

On the low side, keep the oil temp above 160-180.

Oh these temps are in F.

Ken

Rodger
10-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I have seen 345 in a race car with no issues, but then they did change the oil often.
Ken

Is this temperature with synthetic oil?

CHACHI
10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Is this temperature with synthetic oil?
Nope, synthetic blend.

Ken