PDA

View Full Version : Blew my motor

flying tomato
10-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Ok,
Some of you have already seen my posts of my broken motor, which was a 496. FYI--I had just bought and installed a nitrous kit on it and am 90% sure that's the reason the engine came apart. (broke an exhaust valve).
Anyway, I am a very positive person and always look for the bright side of things. So------I saw this as the perfect oportunity to add some cubic inches to the Hornet III. The next configuration will be a 540 cid, aluminum heads, vic jr intake, 850 demon, stainless marine exhaust, and custom made camshaft from Bob Madera.
Have not made a decision about taking off the nitrous system yet.

Here we go!

Flying Tomato (non flying right now)

younger
10-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Carry the weight, carry the cubes!!!! 540-572-632ci Make the power without the gas.

mrfixxall
10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Ok,
Some of you have already seen my posts of my broken motor, which was a 496. FYI--I had just bought and installed a nitrous kit on it and am 90% sure that's the reason the engine came apart. (broke an exhaust valve).
Anyway, I am a very positive person and always look for the bright side of things. So------I saw this as the perfect oportunity to add some cubic inches to the Hornet III. The next configuration will be a 540 cid, aluminum heads, vic jr intake, 850 demon, stainless marine exhaust, and custom made camshaft from Bob Madera.
Have not made a decision about taking off the nitrous system yet.

Here we go!

Flying Tomato (non flying right now)

if you are goint to use the nos make sure you use hell fire rings if youe going to put more then 150 shot through it..i use to run nos but it was out of control in my boat..i had a stand alone 2 gal fuel tank with nos 116 racing fuel and fuel system.also you want a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel side with a regulator,i ran mine at 6 lbs..run the fuel side richer or you can run more fuel pressure..get another nos solenoid and purge the nos back into the motor because having stale nos will cause a hick up and blow the hatch off..you have to be in the upper rpm to purge tho..

did you get a tall deck? i have a bryant 4.75 lightweight crank i want to get rid of..willl make you a 4.600 bore = 632 cid that autta brake some chit :)

gcarter
10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you look back at your pictures where the corrosion exists inside the head gasket opening,
this is a perfect example of electrolysis in dissimilar metals.
Unless you replace the aluminum heads w/coated aluminum heads, or better yet, a closed cooling system, unfortunately, it'll happen again.

OTOH, I wish you well.

Pismo
10-21-2010, 05:52 AM
A 632 would be awesome....

TMANN
10-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Do it big... Then I can go on it... I just heard about the Nitros from JimG a couple of weeks ago. Just missed you at the Boat Show.

TMANN