PDA

View Full Version : Argo ATV 8x8.....

Donziweasel
10-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I am thinking about becoming a dealership for these in Jackson Hole. Anyone know much about them? Pros? Cons? I have ridden in a few and my only complaint was speed and suspension compared to my Ranger. Big plus is they will go places my ranger fears to tread.......

http://www.argoatv.com/

DON N.
10-18-2010, 02:16 AM
I think they are more for swamp , then snow.

glashole
10-18-2010, 07:55 AM
they are unstopable with the tracks in the snow

the guys here stud the tracks for ice use

personally don't like them for the reasons you mentioned but there is definitely a cult following

you only have to go through the ice once to realize how handy they are in the dead of winter....at night.......

The Hedgehog
10-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I drove an old Argo once. It was kind of a trip. It jolted around a good bit but this one was not exactly in stellar conditions. It was unstoppable though.

Donziweasel
10-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Shea is right, things are pretty amazing in the snow. They have a track kit for them, snow plows, etc....

Bill, another toy to play with this winter at the Lazy P..... :)

The Hedgehog
10-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Shea is right, things are pretty amazing in the snow. They have a track kit for them, snow plows, etc....
Bill, another toy to play with this winter at the Lazy P..... :)

I am all about toys at the Lazy P. I will promise to keep it out of the hot tub!

zelatore
10-19-2010, 10:21 AM
As a kid, I put a lot of time on a 6x6 version in the winter.

Everything said so far rings true - not that fast, not very good riding, but fun none the less. The one I got to play with belonged to a local well company who used it access wells/pumps for maintenence. They even had a small kicker mount on the back for getting through floods.

One thing we found though was that it would high-center very easily in snow. We were forever pulling it out if we got it in deep snow. We didn't have tracks for it though - that probably would have given it enough floatation to stay on top.

I have no idea if there's much market for them though. I wouldn't think you could support much/any storefront with just that product line, and then I'd wonder how many you could sell, what their flooring requirements were, how you'd handle warranty/service/parts inventory, etc...

Planetwarmer
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I bet the sideXside stuff has filled a majority of the roles those used to fill. Become a Can-Am dealer and sell their side by side. You could make a killing.

zelatore
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I bet the sideXside stuff has filled a majority of the roles those used to fill. Become a Can-Am dealer and sell their side by side. You could make a killing.

You're probably right, but there's still a niche for these things that regular side bys can't touch. I'd think in a really swampy situation the flotation would make this king, and with the tracks it would also offer better deep snow capability. Of course, the question is how many of them can you sell in those narrow niches?

BTW, I was dissapointed to see the handlebar style steering. The one I used to play with had twin stick steering like a 'dozer. Just seemed cooler. :wink:

Donziweasel
10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
The Argo rep is coming to meet with me on two weeks. He is bringing a demo to try out.

Been contacting alot of the oil and gas companied operating in Wyoming. Currently, they are using sno cats to access well heads, storage tanks, etc....in the winter. Considering you can buy 8 Argo's for the price of a cat, they are VERY interested.

Also working with a guy that rents snowmobiles in the winter and rafts in the summer (same guy Tex and Hedgehog have rented cars and snowmobiles from). He has a very prominent spot on the main strip in Jackson Hole. Problem with snowmobile and atv rentals, is they are seasonal. We are going to rent Argos. In the summer, no top and head into the forest. During the winter, tracks, top, heater, etc... People who want to experience the backcountry but not be in the elements can rent an Argo. You can use them summer and winter.

If you are wondering how well and Argo does in the snow, check out these quick vids- Frickin IMPRESSIVE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGcys1bAhCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTGFyAVmNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJaZqVD70N0

BUIZILLA
10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
sounds like it needs more oompfh..