PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

markleddy
10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I have found a 1976 Donzi "Sweet 16" (Baby 16?) that is for sale ... listed at $4500. While NADA.com lists the average retail of this boat at just under $900, there seems to have been a good deal of work done to this boat in the recent past.

The description says it has: "A NEW V8 ENGINE AND A 1983 GALVANIZED ROLLER TRAILER. THIS BOAT HAS BEEN BUILT FROM THE STRINGERS UP. tHE BOAT HAS NEW FUEL TANK, NEW WIRE HARNESS, REBUILT ALPHA ONE GEN TWO OUTDRIVE, NEW TRANSOM, BILGE PUMP, BLOWER, STEERING, CABLES, FRESH WATER FLUSH KIT. THE BOAT RUNS GREAT AND VERY FAST THE INTERIOR IS GOOD BUT NEEDS TO BE PAINTED TO FINISH OFF. THE BOAT IS EQUIPPED WITH AM/FM, FIRE EXSTING, FULL GAUGES, ANCHOR..."

Is $4500 a rip, or do the above items make this a price worth paying?

I am new to the idea of owning a Donzi, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

HOWARD O
10-11-2010, 11:19 PM
It is so hard to form an opinion without inspecting the boat or at least seeing some photos. Yes, a lot of work is listed as being done. A new fuel tank is a pretty big plus for these boats and is a pretty labor intensive project. Most will say it'll inevitably need a new tank, so that's done already. The only real red flag from the description that jumps out at me is the fact that they had to replace the transom. I can only assume there was water rot. That would want me to inspect the stringers and decks very carefully too. The deck's balsa core can get soft from water intrusion too. There are techniques to do spot repair on the deck and you'd want to do that before painting or re-gelling. If there is no evidence of a soft deck, great. If the deck has a lot of soft spots, then that is a major repair. A moisture meter would be a nice thing to bring along when inspecting a boat.

Having said all of that, a lot of work and attention has obviously been done to the boat and if you were serious about checking it out, try and bring someone that knows what to look for. If the work is quality and the boat is represented truthfully, then it it could be a nice deal. One thing that can be said is that it's not a boat rotting in a field somewhere. Someone felt the boat merited all this work and my gut feeling is that it might be worth a look.

That's the best I can do, but there are others here with far more knowledge than me. :yes:

Oh, and a 16' referred to as a "Donzi Baby" is the outboard model of the same boat.

Just Say N20
10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Welcome.

Probably a better forum than in Donzis For Sale.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63464

markleddy
10-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the replies ... I know this forum might not be the best place for this advice request, but I wanted to get this viewed by as many as possible.

It's been said that photos would help, so photos have been uploaded to the thread posted in the thread above.

Thanks.

Kirbyvv
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
The transom was replaced to switch to the Alpha drive. Don't even look at the NADA values. There is no corrolation as far as Donzi prices go. it sounds like a great deal, but like Howard said, without seeing it, who knows.

somerville99
10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
like one that has been listed on Ebay several times this summer but never sold. Check completed Ebay sales for more info.