PDA

View Full Version : New life for C16B67.....deck off restoration...

Carbo
10-09-2010, 08:09 PM
OK...I know you have seen it before but..... it is a movement, right? Pulled the deck off today and started to remove the original galvanized fuel tank. It's loose and ready to pull. Both bulkheads forward and back of the tank are broken loose. I also found the top portside of the hull where the rubrail screws to is toast....the little wood strip they use is gone. Starboard is fine. Going to have a few glass shops look it over this week for estimates and recommendations....needs transom and extra gussets, bulkheads all re-glassed and lip reinforced. And more. Then they get the cap. The cap/deck doesn't need too much...a few stress crack areas need glass behind and a little core work. Sent the vents, bow lift ring/trim and bow chocks out for rechroming....got a long list of steering parts, trim tabs, stereo stuff, hinges, lights, and more in the works...

Also I would guess the deck weight at 400lbs, 2 people can pick it up but it's not light.

Still in a color debate with the family.....more to come.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7187.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7183.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7191.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7188.jpg

Greg Guimond
10-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Congrats Carbo, in for a penny in for a pound. Make sure you post a LOT of pics......:boat:

Carbo
10-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Any one else lucky enough to find garden hose as the vent hose? Can't believe they used it. And another few pics after vacuuming.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7193.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7194.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7195.jpg

Greg Guimond
10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Carbo, lay down a tape to see how far forward of the transom that factory 24 starts?

Carbo
10-09-2010, 09:18 PM
From the from edge of the transom to the tank itself is 87"

From the front edge of the transom to the rear edge of the bulkhead behind the tank it is 84 1/2

the tank is 34" long but has a 3/4 overhang lip on each end making the tank actually 32 1/2" long by 23" wide

the first bulkhead forward of the transom starts 46" from the front of the transom.

Greg Guimond
10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the data.........!

Carbo
10-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Yep you got it. Can't believe a galvanized tank lasted 38 years! It is not leaking but pretty rusty in a few places. There was also over a $1 in change in the bilge! Resto's getting cheaper.........How do you like that garden hose vent!

HIGH LIFE
10-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Carbo, What year is your boat ? "HIGH LIFE"

axelkloehn
10-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Any one else lucky enough to find garden hose as the vent hose? Can't believe they used it. And another few pics after vacuuming.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/DSCN7193.jpg

quite interesting, I had the same venting hose in my GT21, and it looked like it has never been replaced- may be they used that hoses at that time...

Carbo
10-10-2010, 09:14 AM
carbo, what year is your boat ? "high life"

1972.....................Greg's "Surface Tension" is hull #63 and mine is #67 and both are '72's

Greg Guimond
10-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Carbo, The deck on Surface Tension weighed in at 409 lbs on an electronic scale after a full re-core with Divinycell. I wonder if you put a couple of 200lb house scales under your deck at each end if you could get an accurate weight with the old factory balsa core.

Carbo is back and with a slightly lighter deck!

Carbo
10-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Carbo, The deck on Surface Tension weighed in at 409 lbs on an electronic scale after a full re-core with Divinycell. I wonder if you put a couple of 200lb house scales under your deck at each end if you could get an accurate weight with the old factory balsa core.

For the benefit of "baby" owners and restorers every where I will when I get a chance.....Got the tank out yesterday and cleaned the area...trying to get with glass shop today to get estimate going...

Greg Guimond
10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Does it look like you will have to re-core?

Carbo
10-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Does it look like you will have to re-core?

The front deck seems fine, the only area of concern seem to be under the "L" lounge in the rear of the middle "curved" seat. I have yet to flip the deck over but that was the only soft area. There are really no wet area's anywhere, A lot of bulkheads have broken loose though. I printed a picture of your transom/stringers/bulkheads. I like the flat areas on each side of the stern you added and gonna have them add a few gussets/braces in some of the areas you did. Meeting with the glass shop tomorrow for the first estimate and recommendations...

Greg Guimond
10-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Good luck with the glass guy Carbo. I'll be curious to see how an "intact" factory deck weighs in against my 409lb deck. I've given some thoughts on how to extract weight overall for the deck on these 16 OB's.

HIGH LIFE
10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Greg, I remember reading somewhere that someone used PVC pipe cut in half under the deck and glassed over it. Wonder how long that stayed togeather ? "HIGH LIFE"

Carbo
10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Boat went to the glass shop today (hull) for stringers/bulkhead/transom work.....gas tank will go to alum shop this week to be made. Rechromed items may be ready in a week.....Still got to weigh the deck and get it flipped over so I can see what needs to be done there. :yes:

Speed Racer
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I have not been around in a while.. ( ahem.. out USING my Donzi, instead of talking about it!)

I DIG the structural integrity built into the deck on the recent rebuild of my 16 foot V-drive.

Shots here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg/Donzi#

Garry Greth
1967 Ski Sporter
Seattle, Wa

Carbo
10-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I have not been around in a while.. ( ahem.. out USING my Donzi, instead of talking about it!)

I DIG the structural integrity built into the deck on the recent rebuild of my 16 foot V-drive.

Shots here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg/Donzi#

Garry Greth
1967 Ski Sporter
Seattle, Wa

Nice job! What did you use for paint?

Speed Racer
10-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Nice job! What did you use for paint?

Sterling.. Great stuff, big yachts and racing sailboats use it for topsides..

http://www.detcomarine.com/sltitle.htm

Cheers!

Speed Racer
10-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Ok,
And just 'cause I am so proud of this boat..

Day one..
http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg/FinalTouchesAndSplash#

:)

Tidbart
10-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Carbo,

Can you get some information from the tank. Like manufacturer and gallons, model number?

I know they used a Taylor and Gaskins 25 g in '73. Model was a C16-25, if I remember correctly.

Also, I have the dimensions of the newer 32g tanks for the 16s, if you want to put in a larger tank.

Bob

Also, where in FL are you?

Greg Guimond
10-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Speed Racer, very very nice job. Any chance you can measure the inner strakes to see how forward of the transom they terminate? It would be interesting to compare given your drive and the fact it is an early 16 hull.

Carbo
10-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Carbo,

Can you get some information from the tank. Like manufacturer and gallons, model number?

I know they used a Taylor and Gaskins 25 g in '73. Model was a C16-25, if I remember correctly.

Also, I have the dimensions of the newer 32g tanks for the 16s, if you want to put in a larger tank.

Bob

Also, where in FL are you?

Yes it was a Taylor and Gaskins. Model you stated sounds right but it was hard to read. It had Donzi Marine Miami stenciled in spray paint across the top also. It is Galvanized and heavy. There was plenty of room around it as it was so I am having the guy making my new tank increase the size. It will stay 23" wide but will be 1/2 inch higher and 3 inches longer. Figured about 28 gallons.....25 usable will be fine around here. Thanks for the offer of the new dimension tank but mine is already at the shop.......

And I am in Southwest Florida, Cape Coral.

mermademarine
10-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Carbo,
I am about one week behind you. I have one qoute of $490 for a replacement tank,

mermademarine
10-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Carbo
10-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Carbo,
I am about one week behind you. I have one qoute of $490 for a replacement tank,

Get a few quotes....my quote ended up at like 389 but I am to supply the WEMA sender....(it costs me less than $40) Some place on the east coast said 490 like your quote but with additional freight also. My local guy at $389 does excellent work, certifies and pressure tests it. It will be a few gallons larger also. He is also going to supply me a new grab rail in heavier ga. sst bent to match old one for $200.
Rechroming of vents, bow eye and trim ring, and bow chocks is complete and being shipped back to me. Soon as I see them I will post who did it and pictures......:)

And where are you located??

Carbo
10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
I am also going with pop up cleats....two on rear corners like stock and one on each side just forward of the grab rail. And I will have my shiney eye way up on the bow. Using Attwood neat cleats. Very nice.

Also in a pile here is a rulemate 1100 auto pump and SST 1 1/8 thru hull for it. 9X9 Lenco tabs with tactile switch, 4 new chrome brass perko hinges, Perko stealth LED bow nav light, Perko chrome brass stern light base/pole, perko chrome brass gas deck fill and sst p-trap vent. blue sea #8271 waterproof 8 switch panel w/breakers, and all SST fittings for the new grab rail.......and a JBL mmb319 black box stereo with waterproof MC-19 display..... And two MA6600 poly planer speakers. whew.....going to run to the glass shop to see the hull work that's in progress and take a few pics.

Greg Guimond
10-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice work Carbo, getting all the "stuff" together is a job unto itself.

Mermademarine, start up your own resto thread and maybe you get a hull weight and a deck weight to compare to Carbo's :crossfing:

Greg Guimond
11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Carbo, wondering how you are doing on the project?

BUIZILLA
11-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Carbo, what glass shop? AFR?

Greg Guimond
11-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Maybe the glass shop has a big fish scale that they can weigh the deck with. I'm hankerin to see what a factory deck that is in good shape weighs :crossfing:

Carbo
11-07-2010, 09:38 AM
OK...update. I got the boat back from the guy who did the transom. I am mostly happy with the job. There are a few things I am going to add. He felt the transom will be strong enough (and it is solid!) but I am going to add some internal braces to it. I have to grind the gel out in the areas where the deck tabs to the hull.

He did the whole transom and added flat side areas on either side. He ground and reglassed all the bulkheads and added two extra braces on each side from the stringers out. He repaired the top lip all around where the top cap attaches. And he gelled the whole thing.

The gas tank and grab rail are done. Yesterday I removed the Para-lift motor and replaced the wire going to it with 10/2 ancor.....the old wire had deteriorated and insulation was 1/2 off. The para-lift works great now. I am learning to use West System epoxy and have started repairs to the rear transom well hatches. The wood around the hinges was soft. The prior owner had also taken the floor well out......cut the bottom off and done the worst job making it 5" deeper. They never ground the area so I just peeled the terrible glass work off, and am reglassing it back to the way it was.....

I am also filling holes and patching things on the top deck. The gas tank fits nice and actually should hold maybe 29 usable gallons......external dimensions show total at 31 gallons.....Now to decide on primer/prep before installing it. There are many opinions on this. I do know I will use some closed cell foam to secure it in the proper position in small areas around it. It will not get the entire area foamed. I am also not happy leaving it a sealed area, I am going to allow the area to drain aft. Right now it is sealed and holds water.

Now for some pics, And yes Greg I will weigh the deck before it goes on. Still a long way off.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1232.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1233.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1238.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1239.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1240.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1241.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/deck%20off%20donzi/100_1242.jpg

Greg Guimond
11-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks Carbo. Are you planning on using the Paralift? What power are you using?

Carbo
11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Para-lift for sure is going on there. Power is not for sure yet......I did buy a 2000 20" OX66 Yamaha 150 last week but I could go same model in a 225 for the same weight.....4 stroke too heavy in any model powerful enough. I am very anti-Mercury for reliability issues. I have been let down by far too many Mercs to ever use one. Sorry to the Merc lovers out there. I'm thinking OX66 Vmax 200 Yammy may do the trick.....I may start with the 150 and swap motors to more HP after.....depends how this 150 is......it sat for a long while and needs some work. Needed a HP pump in the VST but I had one lying around...it has seen some water run through the inj system and may need more work and I am not sure I could trust it. We'll see. More to come.

Greg Guimond
11-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I see that you have the 500lb Paralift versus the 450 which is good. Be sure to swap out the existing bolts with a new set of Grade 8's. That is the week spot on those lifts. Can't beat the reliability of the Yamaha. I assume when you say Yamaha 150 that it is the 2.6L Ox66 Vmax EFI 20" ? If that is your start then you could use the 12" setback of the Paralift but a coned low water pickup will be a must on that motor. That Paralift is heavy (70+lbs?) so expect spidering especially if you intend on trailering. Keep the pictures coming :yes:

Carbo
11-07-2010, 06:09 PM
The Para-lift weighs 62.5 lbs........

Yes on the motor, 2.6l ox66 efi 150......"if" I use it. It is a 2000 model but not a VMax. Just a saltwater series II. It is model sx150TLRY.

I just looked at your picture and see the bolts you are talking about.....I will do it. Have you had good luck on your paralift?

Greg Guimond
11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't need it with my set up but still keep the actual Paralift in my garage for a rainy day as they are tough to find, especially in the slightly beafier 500lb capacity. These boats are heavy, if the Ox66 150 is "free" then start with it, but you'll find that 150 is low to move the hull along. I guess the bigger question is once you rig the boat for one vendor or another you have to stay with there product line so keep that in mind. Yamaha would give you 2.6L Ox66 but the 3.1L is tooooooo heavy especially the way that transom is set up. One Yammie option to consider is what Buizilla has with that rare 90's Baby. 2.6L 150 TRP (Duoprop) that really makes 170 and could be brought to 195-200 with a tiny trip to HydroTec. That really intrigues me for the round bottom hull. If you go old school Johnson, a nice option is the 225 HO from 1999-2000 vintage. You can find them clean for $4500 ish and they make 247hp and are a cool color. They are rare though and really rare freshwater. Its all a compromise between intended use and budget as you know.

Carbo
11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Well the 150 wasn't free. I gave $1k for it but could resell it and get my money back in a day. I saw one of those 150 trp duoprops the other day and the was wondering how it would do......funny you mentioned the big Johnson also. I have a lot of experience with the V4 V6 loopers. They have their common problems but are not bad motors.

these weights seem right?
sx150 444lbs
sx200 444 lbs
johnson 225 450lbs
johnson 175 370......seems light? (60 degree)

Love to see a 350lb 225.......

Greg Guimond
11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
No such thing as a 350lb 225HP OB I'm afraid. If you don't care for Mercury that narrows down the field even more. It sounds to me like you are building more of a cruiser. If that is accurate, and considering that the factory hull of the 16 OB loves to dance, I can't imagine a better option then the Yamaha 150 TRP especially if you are set on using the Paralift. The TRP gives you a good gearcase and lwp, its decent on fuel because of the Ox66 and there is more to be had if you want. I'd call Hydrotec and see what they might have hanging around. With a tweek or 3, you would have a 87 octane 200hp motor that would probably give you a rock solid 65mph at WOT. Props will cost a bit more to maintain but for a cruiser build, not seeing anything better. I also think that TRP gives you an 18" mid but that you would have to check that. If that is true, that means you would have a little lower center of gravity for the powerhead which would also help the chine walking. I'd sell the current motor and go TRP. Maybe Buizilla will let you take a peek at his TRP. I would have run it for a day or two before tearing the hull apart, to get a feel for the motor and hull together.

Next step up for performance only would be the Johnson 225 HO but you would want to pin the carrier and go lwp. Then the ETEC 200 small block but probably does not fit the budget. From there for performance only you are into Merc's. Not as many options out there as we would all like.

Carbo
11-08-2010, 07:51 AM
That TRP would be a great choice. Seems like they are hard to come by though. I am going to continue moving forward with everything else on the boat....I am a long way from actually hanging the motor. I will hold off on buying gauges and a control for a while and keep my options open for now. I have a lot of things to do to get to a rigging point anyway. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep the pics coming!

Greg Guimond
11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
It will take you 3-6 months to find a clean TRP so you'd need to start poking around now to have something ready for a ways out. I guess the good news is this time of year is perfect for engine hunting. The bass guys will start posting motors and it would be great to find a freswater TRP. The 2.6L Yamaha is not light at 444lbs but not much is anymore! 65MPH on GPS and no chine walk would make for a fun and user friendly ride. Buizilla might sell you his TRP, I think he has a new 225X sitting in a box for the last several years that I suspect he'll want to rig on his 16 Baby. Might be worth a PM or three .......good luck

BUIZILLA
11-08-2010, 09:03 AM
It will take you 3-6 months to find a clean TRP so you'd need to start poking around now to have something ready for a ways out. I guess the good news is this time of year is perfect for engine hunting. The bass guys will start posting motors and it would be great to find a freswater TRP. The 2.6L Yamaha is not light at 444lbs but not much is anymore! 65MPH on GPS and no chine walk would make for a fun and user friendly ride. Buizilla might sell you his TRP, I think he has a new 225X sitting in a box for the last several years that I suspect he'll want to rig on his 16 Baby. Might be worth a PM or three .......good luck the ProMax ain't mine anymore.. and it's going on another 16 OB... at some point in this century anyway... :wink:
I *think* my TRP weighs about 420 as advertised, but might actually be heavier than advertised due to the weight of the second prop and extended driveshaft and wider cav plate, so the 444 could be right... I do know we are taking substantial transom precautions.... I never did try it *as bought* because you could watch the transom move 3/8" of an inch just bouncing the engine off the travel stops by hand :eek:

Greg Guimond
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Interesting Jim, I guess these 16 OB Baby's are popping up here, there, and everywhere! I had forgotten that the "other" factory 95 hull was the one getting the 225X power. If he ever wants to sell that X motor have him contact me.

Now, on your 16 OB Baby, don't be shy about the size of the knees to the transom. Here is a pic of the 8" knees on The Mule. This is the way to do it if you do not want to re-work the entire splashwell like I am on Surface Tension.

BUIZILLA
11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Greg, please email me a pic of where the Sea Star hose broke

thanx

Carbo
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I am adding braces for sure and am seriously considering modifying the splash well so it not a fishbowl. I like the smooth look of Greg's and then I can brace the crap out of it underneath. Whats a little more glass work.....:)

Greg Guimond
11-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Come on Carbo.........don't give up on getting that deck weighed :crossfing::crossfing::crossfing:

Greg Guimond
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm betting that your deck is lighter then Surface Tensions

Carbo
11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm betting that your deck is lighter then Surface Tensions

Didn't feel like it to me.......we'll see.....patience.:wink:

Greg Guimond
11-30-2010, 09:57 PM
The suspense is killing me !

Carbo
12-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Update......been filling and sanding and priming. Since I used West System epoxy to fill and glass areas I had to use a two part epoxy primer. I am using awlgrip epoxy primer. I am just spraying small areas that I have repaired with the Preval sprayers. They work pretty good, light coats and build it up. A quick sand later and ready for paint......

I had filled the dash holes so I cut some new ones! Gauges will go to right of helm later. Just trying to move forward a little at a time. Started on the extra bracing of the transom the other day, cut the wood and ground the area they go.

More pics later and yes i will weigh the deck Greg.

Before:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/DSCN7149.jpg

After:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMAG0007.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMAG0003.jpg

Greg Guimond
12-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Carbo,
Very interesting on your dash layout. Looks like speaker, gps-nav, then what is the third item? Also, I would be interested in what helm you used and what gauges you plan on putting to the right of the wheel. Certainly a different layout.....cool. When we refabbed Surface Tension, we made the opening to the front deck 48" wide to allow for a little more dash space.

Carbo
12-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Yep...dash space is limited. There were 2 speaker holes I re-used, one on the left of the dash and the second is behind the driver in the stbd side. The stereo head unit is the item to the right of the GPS. The stereo uses a black box that will be under the front somewhere, has a built in hard drive and Ipod input in the black box.

I used a Sea Star tilt hydraulic tilt helm with a Uflex "Ponza" wheel also.

As for gauges......Speed is displayed on the GPS if I want...other than that I need Tach ,waterpressure, Fuel. Voltage is on the gps. May want a trim gauge but I have always run boats by feel and not found myself looking at one. I may just do two Yami multifunction's in pods on the dash.....That would do all but waterpressure. More to come....

Greg Guimond
12-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Which Garmin unit is that? Are you going with a Yamaha 200 Ox66?

Carbo
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
It's a 441s. The 500 series was too big for the dash. The GPS was required by the wife so she can find the channel's home......

As for the motor.....I have that OX66 150 still but the verdict is still out if I use it. I am biased toward Yamaha in general but have not decided. Had the wheels turning when I saw a bassboat with a 150TRP........considered buying it and swapping my 150 on it and reselling. May do something like that...still a lot of work to do first......motor/gauges/control can come later......right now paint prep and glass work. These things are a breeze to rig even after deck is on.

Greg Guimond
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
It would be interesting what a TRP does to the handling. Buizilla has one on his 16 OB I believe. I can't remember if the 150 Ox66 is the 2.6L or 3.1L powerhead. Keep up the good work :yes:

BUIZILLA
12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
It would be interesting what a TRP does to the handling. Buizilla has one on his 16 OB I believe. the 150 Ox66 is the 2.6L :yes: :kingme:

Greg Guimond
12-28-2010, 08:30 PM
TRP should be a hit for handling, and since its the 2.6L easy and cheap to bump it to 175 then 200. Not really sure if the lower can take 200HP or not but easy to find out.

Certainly would give you something to look forward to :kingme:

Greg Guimond
01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
hmmmmmmmmm..........

Carbo
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Little progress with too much kid stuff.......but.....got the grab rail mounted on the deck today. Had gotten 5 1/2 degree rear fittings that will not work. Just found SST 90 degree (really zero degree) that will work. Then the rail will come off again till after paint.

Next I think the hull will come home for gas tank install, and trim tab install......

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/102_1052.jpg

Carbo
08-02-2012, 11:40 PM
OK......the story continues. Took some time out to replace the 32 Carolina Classic with the new World Cat and had to rig it. It's fishable now so I got the 16 back to the glass shop and then to the painter.

Weight of the top cap on 2 floor scales seemed to be in the 390lb area. Each time it would be 5 lbs different but I settled on calling it 390.

Glass shop sealed and screwed the top cap on. They changed the motor well and did some work fitting the cap to the new transom.....Then went to paint. They used "genesis" 2 part epoxy paint i believe made by Awlgrip. Came out great. Here are 2 phone pics. More better quality ones to come.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/donzipaint.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/donzipaint1.jpg

maddad
08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
That looks nice. I like the well delete at the transom.

Greg Guimond
08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Carbo is back!

Greg Guimond
08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Interesting to see that your deck Carbo is 20lbs lighter then my re-cored deck which weighed in at 410lbs. I also like the splashwell approach you decided to go with.

Carbo
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Wonder where the splashwell design came from?:wink:

Greg Guimond
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
;)+;)

Carbo
08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Couple pictures as I slowly bolt on parts.....

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1126.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1123.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1121.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1120.jpg

Carbo
11-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Some new pictures. Getting there. Still have more wiring to finish, some trim pieces, some changes to how the cushions snap in and a few other things.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1305.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1286.jpg

Carbo
11-04-2012, 11:21 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1293.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1308.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1289.jpg

Carbo
11-04-2012, 11:24 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/143_1295.jpg

Just Say N20
11-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Wow! Very well thought out, and clean installation. Please keep us posted on how it performs.

BUIZILLA
11-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Carbo.... can't remember your location exactly, but it would be interesting to run together and compare notes since we both have 150 Yammi's and jackplates...

lemme know

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Nice looking boat

also a good shot of the mid 70's re-design of the 16 hull with longer inner strakes

nice job good luck with her

Kirbyvv
11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Nice work!!!!

Carbo
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey Buizilla.............looky what I found........paid $1k with props, been sitting in a garage for 7 years. I don't think he knew much about what he had. Threw an impellor and gear oil in it and bolted it on. Very nice shape oil was like new. Props have been worked and are stamped 22"......am I close? What pitch props are you running? Should be in water this month...:smile: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/20121128_175835.jpg

Greg Guimond
11-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Paralift plus a TRP lower. Interesting combination for sure.

BUIZILLA
11-28-2012, 09:24 PM
thats a GREAT score !! mine had 25" props and only turned 5000-5100 but had a killer cruise at 4450-4500/50 mph... I had both of my props reworked to 23's but only picked up 100 rpm and no speed, not sure why, but I had 58 mph w/65 gal fuel and 250# driver @ 5100.... trust me when I tell you Indian's kill for a pair of 22's as they have been obsolete for 10 years from Yammi, and they go for $1,000 pair used.. if you can find them at all... are you ready to play yet?

Carbo
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Need to run fuel line from the onboard filter to the motor, need to add gas and oil....tie up remaining wires, new battery and a few other minor things......then turn the key and let her rip. My goal has been to have it in the water this year....I have a month.:biggrin:

BUIZILLA
11-29-2012, 09:02 AM
after the first 10 miles with that lower, you'll wonder why you didn't do this 10 years ago...

Greg Guimond
11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Carbo, did you go with the 12" setback Para for performance or just because it would hike the lower fully out of the drink at rest?

Carbo
11-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Greg......not much thought involved in the decision. :cool!: When I purchased it there was a blown 200 mercury on the paralift hanging off the back, and I mean hanging off the back. I could have jumped on the cav plate and ripped the whole transom off, it was that rotten. Figured from the beginning I was going to use the paralift.....the wires were rotten to the motor so I rewired and sealed it up. I thought of buying a newer jackplate but heard a lot of good things about the paralift so I stayed with that.:)

Carbo
07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
OK...How about a few pics at 99%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a blast to drive. Gets squirrelly over 50 in a chop so need some seat time before top speed reports. I need to go out some morning early when it's flat and let her rip. I agree that you do not ride in these you ride on them.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMG_3172_zps4798a8de.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/bigsnook1/media/IMG_3172_zps4798a8de.jpg.html)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMG_3148_zpsca25ef4c.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/bigsnook1/media/IMG_3148_zpsca25ef4c.jpg.html)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMG_3158_zps26389cd8.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/bigsnook1/media/IMG_3158_zps26389cd8.jpg.html)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMG_3156_zpsd609a40b.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/bigsnook1/media/IMG_3156_zpsd609a40b.jpg.html)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/IMG_3166_zpseac6a211.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/bigsnook1/media/IMG_3166_zpseac6a211.jpg.html)

Just Say N20
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Very nice! Very clean installation!

Really liking the switches on the swing out panel. I located mine there too, but didn't even think of putting them in a swing out panel for ease of service.

Interesting, using the cockpit cover snaps for the interior/upholstery.