PDA

View Full Version : For the old boat fans.

McGary911
10-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I know we have a bunch of members who are into old classic wood runabouts....Check out this guy's collection that he's liquidating.

http://www.mecum.com/view_pdf_warner.cfm

Pretty amazing one guy put together a collection like this.

Enjoy!

axelkloehn
10-09-2010, 03:08 PM
great!!!

badbird
10-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow,a lot of nice stuff :yes:

lars
10-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for sharing, fantastic :wink:

Greg Guimond
10-09-2010, 08:23 PM
McGary .........THAT is really, really, really cool. How about that Riva? Thanks a lot for the post and I don't even like wood boats LOL!

gcarter
10-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I was wondering who had all those engines:confused:

No wonder there's nothing on the market these days.....this guy had them all!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-09-2010, 10:30 PM
What a treat! I still think a nice old mahogany boat looks better to me than almost anything else out there - :yes:. I might be prejudiced by the fact that I have restored 3 of them and would still like to have one - I sold all of mine before they really got pricey. They ride like billboards, but they sure look and sound great to me. Bill

smidgen too
10-09-2010, 11:49 PM
How about this 27' Riva in the collection, I ask Brownie about this one a few years ago, not much info. :confused: She was here in St Clair Shores Mi in the harbor next to Emerald City. She has a step bottom, but no beak..:boggled: These pics were taken around 10 years ago. Around 1976 Wally Harper [Li'l SMIDGEN,, Mag] told me about a Riva he was working on, never heard any more about it. I wonder if this was it, the P-99 was a number Wally used back then. Looks like I have to get a few more boats :nilly::nilly::nilly: to catch up to this collection. :beer:

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Very awsome stuff and all i can say is WOW!!!!

lars
10-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Thank You Mark for the note about the 1972 Montecarlo 27 Offshorer Superfast. It was supposedly a really great running offshore hull. It placed well in the Venice to Monte Carlo race, but I had no idea that somebody tried to race one over here. Would sure be interesting to find out how well Mr. Harper did with it. Here's a few shots of a nicely restored one that's for sale in Italy at the moment.

smidgen too
10-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Look at the custom woodee that came through Emerald City Sunday, built by Mayea boats here in Fair Haven Mi. Temptation the owners second woodee from Mayea, I hate to think what they cost to build.. http://mayeaboats.com/temptation_movie.htm

gcarter
10-11-2010, 05:58 AM
It's probably no more than a well equiped performance boat of the same size.
Wood as a building material is very easy to build custom designs in.
It's essentially a bunch of sticks glued and screwed together and a lot of finish work.
A number of years ago, Huckins offered new 50th annversary editions of one of their 40' trademark cruisers. They were offered in wood or 'glass.
The wood version was actually $10,000-$15,000 less than the 'glass version.

HIGH LIFE
10-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Lars, what does the boat have for power ? "HIGH LIFE"

smidgen too
10-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank You Mark for the note about the 1972 Montecarlo 27 Offshorer Superfast. It was supposedly a really great running offshore hull. It placed well in the Venice to Monte Carlo race, but I had no idea that somebody tried to race one over here. Would sure be interesting to find out how well Mr. Harper did with it. Here's a few shots of a nicely restored one that's for sale in Italy at the moment.
My friend Lee who took the pic's remembered that the engines were mounted transversely, and were chain driven. Sorry No pic's of the engine bay, but here is a transom pic of her.

lars
10-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Legendary Cal Connell arranged the drives and stuck a pair of his 350 Crusaders in these beauties. They were rated at 310hp and engines and rigging was done at Carlo Riva's Italian yard, Monaco Boat works. Mr. Riva was overseeing everything. This was a personal exclusive project for him after he sold his family's renown company, Cantieri Riva, in the early 70's. American Bob Hobbs designed the boats together with Mr. Riva.
Together with Bobby Rautbord's Fino 30, I consider these Carlo Riva Montecarlos to be very remarkable boats dreamed up and produced by fellows that really knew true production quality and what it took design-wise to make a smaller boat perform and ride comfortable offshore.

McGary911
10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Looks like that auction's live now:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Mecum-Muscle-Cars-and-More-Live-Auction?utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MO1010_101610_Auction

Better quality here, but requires a Mecum sign in.

http://www.mecum.com/infonet/in_video/infonet_live_video.cfm?utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MO1010_101610_Auction

Greg Guimond
10-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Wow ........COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :pimp:

Just Say N20
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
What an amazing collection.

I couldn't believe all the engines/hardware he also has.