PDA

View Full Version : ITS on an 18

Madcow
10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Thinking about putting an ITS in my 18 over the winter. Anyone done this? My biggest fears are that its too heavy, and too far back. Anyone have any thoughts?

axelkloehn
10-09-2010, 02:38 AM
just curious to know: what improvement do you expect?

gcarter
10-09-2010, 06:06 AM
My first question would be about the weight added compared to a standard gimbal and sdeperate hydraulic steering. After all, the ITS is designed for really high HP, isn't it?

Maybe a Volvo DPX would accomplish the same thing w/less weight and the stability of two props.
I think there's been one for sale on eBay for some time for a fraction of the price of an ITS.

Madcow
10-09-2010, 06:54 AM
just curious to know: what improvement do you expect?
I need steering, and I think of the cost of a steering system as opposed to buying a used ITS and being able to sell the HD tranom assembly thats on the back of my boat now, it may be the cheaper way to go. And the ITS is a really clean, simple system.

mrfixxall
10-09-2010, 08:51 AM
just make sure you use the biggest cc lock to lock helm as possible..with the ITS, the steering cylinders are vary short and react vary quick which could get you in trouble at higher speeds..

gcarter
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
just make sure you use the biggest cc lock to lock helm as possible..with the ITS, the steering cylinders are vary short and react vary quick which could get you in trouble at higher speeds..

Mike, I think yoou mean the smallest displacement, don't you?
Small displacement will mean more turns and better control.

mrfixxall
10-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Mike, I think yoou mean the smallest displacement, don't you?
Small displacement will mean more turns and better control.

yes! :) its been a whyle since i have installed hyd steering ..