PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Sunken Donzi

nebulous20
10-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi,
I received some very unfortunate news this week... my 2006 Donzi 18 Classic sank last Saturday. It appears the automatic bilge pump trigger didn't fire and the rainwater from a few downpours filled it enough to sink. It sank in about 4 feet of freshwater.

The local marina has pulled the boat out for me, but I was hoping someone could provide some advice on where I go from here? I'm skeptical that the local marina folks (my lake is in smalltown Ontario, Canada) will have a lot of experience in restoring and repairing the boat. I really have no idea what this means... does the engine have to be completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled? will the gauges/electronics be a write off? Can the upholstery be saved? Is there a way to best prevent mildew in the future? etc..

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance!

Carl C
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey, it's fresh water. Everything can be saved but you need to work on that engine now. You need to do several oil changes and other stuff. I think there is another thread here dealing with this.

mike o
10-08-2010, 05:53 PM
From 3-4 of weeks ago.......good luck:crossfing: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63114&highlight=sank

Carl C
10-08-2010, 05:56 PM
From 3-4 of weeks ago.......good luck:crossfing: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63114&highlight=sank

Yeah, that's it. Get to work NOW!

RacnJasn
10-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Big time bummer! I'm in Ont too, PM me if you need some help. I might be near by and I have good honest marina connections

Carl C
10-09-2010, 07:21 AM
If you haven't already, get the boat indoors. In addition to the things mentioned in the above thread I would unzip all boat cushions and remove foam to dry. Pull carpet and hang to dry. Blow off all water from back of dash with compressed air. Do the same in the engine room and leave hatch open. Hose down with water first if there is sand or other crud. Check all fluids. Do what yeller said with the engine if you haven't already. Change drive oil. Check all fluid reservoirs for water intrusion. Hope the batteries are OK. Charge and load test them. Do not attempt to crank the motor until you have drained the oil, pulled the plugs and turned it over with a wrench a few times. I like yeller's pre-lubing suggestion. I would do that for sure if the engine were full of water. Your boat will be OK. This stuff is meant to be in a wet environment. Salt water would be another story.