PDA

View Full Version : Shelby controls

bizpoop.com
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I just purchased a 2006 Shelby with the standard Mercruiser control (not the high performance controls). The controls I have look like the more traditional side flush mount single lever control with the small button in the middle at the mount piviot point which you push to put into neutral. I was reading in the owner's manual that the engine is DTS. I just assumed this standard control is cable to the engine and drive. Is this true or is it a "fly by wire" digital control?

I want to change to the racing controls which came standard in later shelby models. Anyone familiar with these controls I currently have??

mrfixxall
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
all you have to do is look at the engine and look for cables...with it being a merc drive it should have them tho..

bizpoop.com
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, I know but the boat is in NC and I'm in FL. I won't have it here for couple of weeks.

Mr X
10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Your boat has the standard control cables, that is the easy part.

You will have to totally remake your side combing pad to accommodate the
dual lever control.

You will need a side mount throttle pod and then try to
have the pad re-covered to match the rest of the vinyl.
Thats the hard part.

I would leave well enough alone if I were you.

Not worth butchering up a nice rare factory boat.

oledawg
10-07-2010, 10:50 PM
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it..... :wink:

Planetwarmer
10-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I would leave well enough alone if I were you.

Not worth butchering up a nice rare factory boat.

Yep! You have bought a rare boat. The problem with owning a rare boat (or anything), is you are destroying it when you start customizing it. That would be like taking an original Shelby Cobra and customizing the car to suit your fancy.

I believe that when you own something as unique as your boat, you are just holding on to it until the next owner has the pleasure of owning it. Just like a Shelby Cobra, a priceless painting, etc.

Do with it what you want, you do own it, but you cant expect to sell the boat as an original Shelby if you start changing stuff on it.

I personally like the "race controls" or dual levers with the pod, but if it were me, and I had your exact boat, I would keep it all stock and enjoy the one of a kind artwork that you now own. There isnt another boat like it in the world. Not even hull #008.

axelkloehn
10-08-2010, 02:11 AM
I hate the single lever control, would go to a dual lever in about a minute...don't matter if it is a rare boat or not. It is much, much better to handle!!!

VetteLT193
10-08-2010, 06:40 AM
I'd look at the livorsi side mount setup. Looks nice, will match the gauges, and is plug and play Vs. adding the side pod and all the headaches that go along with it.

Carl C
10-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Do what you want. These boats do not appreciate in value anyway. Having said that though, IMO, the later Shelby dual levers have an unsightly "add-on" look to them and I'd stick with the single lever. It's also easier to use.

mc donzi
10-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a 22C with the Volvo DPX package... love the package- hated the shifter. Docking could be embarrassing sometimes. I recently had a Dana 2 stick side mount shifter installed and docking is now MUCH less stressful. The mounting plate fit perfectly over the hole and no modifications to the pad were required. Looks like the boat came with it. The colour of the base plate matches exactly the colour of the bezels on the Gaffrig guages. Not only does it work well... it looks great!!
I kept the old Volvo shifter so that if I ever sell the boat it can go to the new owner.
Down side??? It wasn't cheap.

oledawg
10-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Simple is always good :wink:

Jraysray
10-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Look up Blake Sullivan or search his threads. He did a real good job on his.

Never mind. I found it.

The new pod
Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57720&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1280890620 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57720&d=1280890620)

boogie
10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Bet you can get the vinyl part here I think the do the interiors for Donzi http://www.ppi-fl.com/

BlakeSullivan
10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Scott, I ordered my pod from CP performance it was cheap roughly 160 and ordered my shifter from them as well. I then took a picture of the shelby panel and had my interior guy make a new panel and adapted the pod so it doesn't look like a patch job or add on. I really like have the twin controls. I had the Livrosi side mounted throttle and didn't care to much for it and for the price of the dana system it wasn't much more to build the pod. Thanks Blake

bizpoop.com
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
If mine are the standard cable controls, I'm still not clear if these existing controls are DTS or cable from shifter to engine/drive unit. Anyone know?

bizpoop.com
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a 22C with the Volvo DPX package... love the package- hated the shifter. Docking could be embarrassing sometimes. I recently had a Dana 2 stick side mount shifter installed and docking is now MUCH less stressful. The mounting plate fit perfectly over the hole and no modifications to the pad were required. Looks like the boat came with it. The colour of the base plate matches exactly the colour of the bezels on the Gaffrig guages. Not only does it work well... it looks great!!
I kept the old Volvo shifter so that if I ever sell the boat it can go to the new owner.
Down side??? It wasn't cheap.

What was it soup to nuts?

VetteLT193
10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
If mine are the standard cable controls, I'm still not clear if these existing controls are DTS or cable from shifter to engine/drive unit. Anyone know?

I am 99.999% confident they are cable and NOT DTS.

If you want to be personally 100% sure, just look at the engine, look for the cables to move with the key off.

mc donzi
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
What was it soup to nuts?

Not sure what you mean.:confused:

VetteLT193
10-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Not sure what you mean.:confused:

how much did it cost total $$$

JustMercMe
10-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Pretty sure it's gonna be 2 cables....Had to recently change the cable from the engine to the driveon mine....(shut it off in gear) Bad no no! The wife calls it my $350 mistake...

Here's a pic of how mine came. (Sorry, closest one I have.) The controls are Livorsi. The worst part like the guys say would be matching the interior. (Is yours the carbon interior?) It is the way to go for docking though. Much easier.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/DSC00014.jpg

axelkloehn
10-22-2010, 01:57 AM
need a good pic? Here is one (clic & clic for big)

bizpoop.com
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I checked and they are cables going back. the new controls I want are offered in straight cables and should hook up to my existing cables I would think. If not, it looks simple to fish new cables back. any feedback?