PDA

View Full Version : Its a movement

2landseers
10-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi, I have been lurking here for sometime now. It is time to come out of the boat house.
I have emailed “Just say N2O” seeing that he is being pained the same way I am. Yes I have a 67 Ski Sporter. Unlike Bill this is my second time around with this boat! In 1990 I had it with the 351 Cleveland that was in it so I replaced it with a 351 Windsor. Other than moving the exhaust and painting the bottom I did very little to her. I ran the you know what out of her for 3 years then built a house. Meaning to get back to the Donzi but life got it the way… IT’S TIME! She came out from under the deck in July and into the garage. I started to work on it the weekend after Labor Day.

I have owned this boat since 1985. I bought it from a guy who had no idea what he had. I spent all my summers on the Niantic River living right next to a house with TWO Donzis (18’2-3 and a 16 Ski Sporter) I know what it is!

Previous owners have hacked it and smashed it. My goal is to make it the best it can be… During the 1990 repower I found that the engine mounts had ruined the stringers so I dropped back and punted and put engine beds in it. This I might revisit…

Anyway, Hi again and HELP!!!

Bill DiFrancesco

The new image is to day, the rest are 1990...

gcarter
10-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Welcome!
I guess you have lots of company here.
Probably lots of advice too.
Have fun!

Greg Guimond
10-05-2010, 06:28 AM
2landseers, nice to see another 16 being brought back. You'll have a lot of input from those of us restoring 16's and get to use the "search" function a lot.

Keep the pics coming and welcome! :wrench::smash:

Just Say N20
10-05-2010, 07:47 AM
I have owned this boat since 1995. I bought it from a guy who had no idea what he had. I spent all my summers on the Niantic River living right next to a house with TWO Donzis (18’2-3 and a 16 Ski Sporter) I know what it is!

I think he meant he has owned it since 1985.

He has the advantage of an overhead lift, and a heated space to work in. Yes, I would be jealous :shades: .

2landseers
10-05-2010, 07:53 AM
you are right! it was 1985, I told you I dont type...

Greg Guimond
10-05-2010, 07:55 AM
How about some brand info on that overhead lift? I could use one of those babies in the garage.

LKSD
10-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Yes, welcome... :)

2landseers
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry Greg, the cran is a product of my mine when I have too much time on my hands. So is the rest of the toybox, I mean garage...
Here are some better non cell phone photos...

Greg Guimond
10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Well that certainly must come in very handy.........

Just Say N20
10-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Engine out yet? :wink:

2landseers
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Not yet, Life got in the way the last two days. I think i am going to play with the engine in the boat to see how much work it needs before I pull it. I am planning to close loop the cooling system so I need to make some measurements to get that to work.. Does anyone know where I can get a heat exchanger? I can make the expansion tank...

Just Say N20
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
When I bought my boat it had closed cooling. I am not going to use it. If you can use it, you are welcome to it. My engine is a 350 Chevy, so you will probably need a different T-stat housing.

I will take a couple pictures of it tonight.

gcarter
10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Here's a short discussion on my TR thread about closed cooling systems.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=25

Just Say N20
10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
All good info, and I know you have recommended I keep the system on my boat. I believe that everything you say is true about closed loop systems.

I decided not to use it because I have no intentions of using this in saltwater.

The engine compartment in a 16 is already very full, and the heat exchanger/hoses made access all that much more difficult.

I have had great success running 160º thermostats in 5 previous boats (4 * 350 Chevys, 1 * 283 Chevy, 1 * 300 Hercules, 2 * 454 Chevys), all without closed loop cooling, so it would be fixing a problem I have never had.

My new engine is a simple 350 Chevy with pretty standard internals, and a Holly 4 bbl carb. No fancy anything (except the yellow paint :) ) so I am not looking to squeeze the last mph out of it.

Sorry for the HI-JACK.

2landseers
10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I am going for the closed loop to keep sand out of the block... I ran this boat in some shallow water and when I was flushing the engine, I ended up with sand on the pavement... NOT GOOD...

2landseers
10-08-2010, 09:41 PM
More Photos, I am having problems getting the Drive housing out of the Transom Plate. The ring on the outboard side is stuck on, I lubed it up and I will try again tomorrow.

2landseers
10-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Photos speak for them selfs

2landseers
10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
By tomorrow I should have the boat striped down of all hardware. The next task, how to remove all the paint... I am a little upset that the new paint has peeled on the hull that I paid good money for. The plan is to remove all the paint down to what ever looms under it. What is the fastest and easiest way to remove the paint?

mphatc
10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I am going for the closed loop to keep sand out of the block... I ran this boat in some shallow water and when I was flushing the engine, I ended up with sand on the pavement... NOT GOOD...

Plastic media blasting, environmentally sound and not damaging to the glass underneath.
Best part of media blasting is that the process is dry and nothing chemical is dissolved into the dry fiberglass below.
Then you can decide on paint or gelcoat.

Mario L.

Just Say N20
10-15-2010, 05:57 AM
On my Volvo 290 there were 6 bolts that held the ring in place. There were three additional holes that were threaded. Put one off the bolts removed into each of the holes and tighten each one a little at a time. They will gradually push the ring out.

I don't know if the 280T is the same, but that is how I finally got mine apart. It was a real bugger after 20+ years of saltwater use.

2landseers
10-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks Bill, I did get it apart with that method... I just took sometime...

as far as the Plastic media blasting who would do that? auto body shop?

seano
10-15-2010, 07:33 AM
welcome to the club! I believe there are at least 5 of us(including 2 O/Bs) now with the decks off...so lots of people to comiserate with. haha here's mine

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62623&highlight=shop

2landseers
10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
welcome to the club! I believe there are at least 5 of us(including 2 O/Bs) now with the decks off...so lots of people to comiserate with. haha here's mine

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62623&highlight=shop

Thanks for the welcome, I already viewed your thread and will be steeling ideas from all of the members I can. The "Its a movement" is plagiarized from Alisa's Restaurant, when 3 or more people are doing the same thing... I guess I just have a warped senses of humor.

2landseers
08-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Its has been 5 years since I have done any real work on this ride. When the economy took a dump I lost business and almost everything else, BUT NOT MY BOAT. I was also distracted last year when instead of riding around in a go fast boat I was the engineer on the 38th voyage of the Charles W. Morgan for the Mystic Seaport Museum. She turned 173years old when we where tied up right behind "Old Ironsides" the only ship of this size older that is still afloat.
The attached photos are the bottom end going back together this week.

Ghost
08-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Glad you were able to keep the boat--congrats on resuming your project.

Ed Donnelly
08-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Good to hear you are back on your journey of donziness..Ed

Just Say N20
08-07-2015, 09:02 AM
We have all been there. Glad you were able to keep the Donzi, and are able to get back at it!

mattyboy
08-07-2015, 09:10 AM
The Morgan was a great project had the chance to walk thru her a few years back at the seaport a 16 is a walk in the park after that resto.

oh and a lot less wood . good luck looking fwd to progress pics

2landseers
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
The question of the day is, I need to paint my Volvo 280 drive in boat parts. What is the best system, powder coat, All grip or other, rattle can???

CHACHI
08-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I already viewed your thread and will be steeling ideas from all of the members I can. The "Its a movement" is plagiarized from Alisa's Restaurant, when 3 or more people are doing the same thing... I guess I just have a warped senses of humor.

Alice's restaurant.

Ken

mattyboy
08-14-2015, 05:33 AM
The question of the day is, I need to paint my Volvo 280 drive in boat parts. What is the best system, powder coat, All grip or other, rattle can???

Moeller paints makes rattle cans of green primer and Volvo white if prep done right will last a long time

mattyboy
08-15-2015, 10:01 AM
I took a brass wire wheel and got mine down to the bare alum. then primed and paint with moeller they don't make the old volvo white just the newer AQ white

http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/marine_paints/engine_paint/