PDA

View Full Version : Will trade or sell my 1979 Criterion......

Donziweasel
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I am selling my 1979 Donzi Criterion. I would also be interested in trading for an 18. Boo Boo has decided we need another boat due to the layout of the Critter not being twin friendly.

HISTORY-
The Criterion is the predecessor of the 22, although production overlapped for several years. It is a rare Donzi with less than 15 or so known to exist in three configurations, the Criterion, Criterion SS and Criterion II (no Critter II’s are known to exist). Here is what I know about the history of my Criterion. I know nothing of it until 2000. A gentleman from New York had a place on Lake Tahoe and wanted a boat for his two sons that live there, plus one for him to use when he visited. He purchased mine in the spring of 2000 and began a 2 year restoration on it at this time. He even consulted Randy (Big Grizz) on the resto. He painted the entire boat with it’s current white/navy blue colors. He then installed a new 6.2L fuel injected SBC. Accompanying this was a new Bravo drive. He put a new interior (white with blue piping), new gauges (Faria with blue bezels), and put a reinforcing bulkhead under the rear seats. He then sent it to Lake Tahoe when completed in 2002.

Between 2002 and 2008, his sons put less than 20 hours on the boat. He became frustrated that the boat was not being used. I spoke to one of his sons who is a Mercruiser mechanic on Lake Tahoe about it. He said he and his brother were terrified of using it because if the put a scratch on it, their father would kill them. The father decided to sell it. I purchased it during the winter of 2008-2009. I wanted to replace the SBC with BBC to return the Critter to it’s BBC roots. I purchased a Mercruiser 540 Bulldog complete with CMI’s. I pulled the engine in the spring and found rotted stringers and transom. I began replacing all this when three weeks later, the twins were born. She had to go on the back burner until this past spring.

This past spring, I finally completed all the stringer and transom work. I replaced the stringers and part of the transom with Coosa board. I added two more gussets for strength. All this was covered in several layers 24 ounce bias stichmat and vinylester. Finally 2-3 coats of Bildge Kote completed the bildge. Even though George Carter does not speak to me anymore, I would like to thank him for the help.

I then installed the 540 and had a whole three days to run her (welcome to the world of twins) this summer. All I had was a 21 pitch Bravo to test with. She ran law 70’s at 5800 feet in altitude with the 21 pitch at 5200 rpms (she had plenty left). Cliff sent me a 24 pitch that I never got to use. I believe this is a low 80’s boat at sea level.

The Mercruiser 540 Bulldog is a tall deck (10.2) BBC produced by Mercruiser from 1993-1997 from what I have found. It was WAY over built as the main purchaser was the US Military. It is one of the strongest BBC’s ever made. It can be bored plenty, but it is about maxed on stroke. Whipple makes a SC specifically for this boat. I put a new DART manifold on it and 850 CFm Holley Carb. The previous owner said mine had had some head work and was around 600 hp, but I have no idea as I have never Dynoed it.

So, to recap, it is a 1979 Criterion with a new Bravo (less than 20 hours) and I believe mine is the only Bravo Critter out there. New gauges, interior, paint, 540 Bulldog, Bennett tabs, cockpit cover and full boat cover. Looks fantastic and runs like a scalded cat.

The Critter comes on a 1998 dual axle Continental trailer with surge brakes that are not currently working. Trailer is in decent condition.

I am asking 25,000 OBO or a trade for an 18 (and maybe some cash depending on what year and shape the 18 is in). I am looking for a 1993-2002 18 Mercruiser rigged boat. Will look at others as well, just not looking to do another resto.

I can store the boat for the winter if you would like and delivery it to AOTH this spring for no charge. Can possibly deliver to other South Eastern locations in the month prior to that as we will be traveling around.

Attached are some pics, but I will post more including the 540 when I get a sunny day. Also, one of the pics shows the bildge almost completed. Notice the 2 gussets.

Donziweasel
10-04-2010, 11:26 AM
More pics-

Donziweasel
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
More-

mrfixxall
10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
John all the boat needs is some seat belts :)

Good luck in the sale..

Donziweasel
10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Want to trade that X or yours and a little $$$$$? :)

Donziweasel
10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Oh yeah, thought I would include a pic of the two reasons for the sale with the Critter in the background...... :)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/Donzitwins.jpg

mrfixxall
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Want to trade that X or yours and a little $$$$$? :)

sorry buddy but no can do! :) I'm attached to it for ever,mom did the interior and my dad helped me build the wood in the seats.. they both passed so the x has some sentimental values to it..

Phil S
10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
That last pic is priceless DW ! :yes:

You've got a lot of blood sweat & tears in that gorgeous boat ! I hate to see you part with it, but I completely understand making room for the little one's though.

Your gonna need that twin-scorpion ZXO before it's over with though. Your day of hauling your little one's (and bunches of all their friends) around on tubes, skis, etc. is coming ! :wink:

Best of luck on the sale / trade. Your boat sure has come along way since the days of this pic ! :)

With kind regards,
Phil S.

LKSD
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Sorry to see you are willing to part with the Critter. It is a very cool ride. If I didnt have my hand in a few of my own projects at the moment it would have interested me.. :) Jamie

Donziweasel
10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Phil, can't believe you still have that pic!!! Brings back memories, and they weren't good ones of grinding fiberglass and itching for days......

Come on Jamie, you know Lakeside needs this Critter...... :)

LKSD
10-05-2010, 08:43 AM
If I didnt already have the couple personal projects that im into already, id be planning a road trip.. :)

I still didnt finish taking apart my TR, and I still have to finish the custom paint job on our Mtr Coach. I have had the materials now for a bit, but the customer's projects have been getting done first..

Maybe I will get to take a few days off for myself here & there to get these things done over the winter.. :D

Jamie / Lakeside

VetteLT193
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Good luck with the sale, very nice boat.

One thing I can't figure out is how an 18 will fix the problem?

Donziweasel
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Jamie, you ever get a chance, you and Kristen are always welcome out here. Would love to have you, no Critter purchase necessary! Would look good in front of your shop though........ :)

Vette, email sent, but when Boo Boo says jump, I jump and then run..... :)

lars
10-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Congratulations to You John for having secured the Pearson legacy with these two great looking little boaters to be!
It's been a few years since I used to stare at the boattrader ad of Your future boat, thinking that that's a lot of boat for the money and it's in Tahoe of all great places. I must boast that I was probably 100% right right then, but now I can with complete conviction say, that it's no doubt about it. You sure have made that Critter a stunner!
I'd hate for it to leave Your neck of the woods, since one day Your kids might want to buy it back, I suggest You contact Jeff Brown, president of Jackson Hole Aviation. You might know him already? If I'm right, he is the legendary former offshore racer from the mid 70's, that won the first Overall National Production Class Championship in a Scarab. His Larry Smith Scarab was called 'Pure Insanity'. He had Larry build two 9 Meter Scarab boats, which he raced with that name and Mr. Brown knows pretty much 'who is who' in Offshore Racing. He sure would realize the true value of Your boat and might line up one of his boating friends that would appreciate owning such a gem.
Since I was portraid in some places as the notorious owner of his first racing Scarab, I also know the whereabouts of his final and even more spectacular Kevlar49 'Pure Insanity' boat. Let him know that it's in fantastic shape and that the current owner is the one to thank for that. If contacting him doesn't lead to a sale of the Critter, I bet You will still find that you have plenty of airport related business to discuss. Best of luck :crossfing:

Warm regards, Lars.

Donziweasel
10-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Holy crap Lars.....how the heck did you know that? You never cease to amaze me my friend. I definetly know Jeff. He and I have butted heads some over the years, but get along pretty well. I had no idea he was a 70's off shore legend. He is a pretty fit guy, so I figured he might have been some kind of althlete.

Thanks for the tip, I will call him today. Even if no Critter sale happens, it would be cool to talk to him about the glory days. I owe you one..... :):):)

In other news, I listed it on Craigslist for fun. The first response I got reminded me of Carls video of buying a boat on Craigslist. It clearly states in the ad the asking price is 25,000.00. I got an email and all it said was "what is your asking price"? Either an idiot or scammer......

mike o
10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I was reading about this gentleman on OSO in the old farts forever thread I think, saying he owns JHA, I was wondering if you knew him also. He's in The O.F.F club for sure.

mrfixxall
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Holy crap Lars.....how the heck did you know that? You never cease to amaze me my friend. I definetly know Jeff. He and I have butted heads some over the years, but get along pretty well. I had no idea he was a 70's off shore legend. He is a pretty fit guy, so I figured he might have been some kind of althlete.

Thanks for the tip, I will call him today. Even if no Critter sale happens, it would be cool to talk to him about the glory days. I owe you one..... :):):)

In other news, I listed it on Craigslist for fun. The first response I got reminded me of Carls video of buying a boat on Craigslist. It clearly states in the ad the asking price is 25,000.00. I got an email and all it said was "what is your asking price"? Either an idiot or scammer......

John you need to respond back with the video! :)

Donziweasel
10-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I spoke to jeff Brown this morning. Same guy who raced "Pure Insanity", the first Kevlar race boat ever made, to the championship in 1979. Said he hasn't seen it in 20 years. I emailed him some pics I found that Lars had posted and he was blown away. Really cool guy. Has a place in Islamarada and might be donw there for the races in November. Says he still keeps up with a bunch of the old racers. Pretty cool.

He said he a Larry Smith rigged the boat in his garage. Due to it being kevlar, they had to buy a bunch of special tools, like carbide tipped drill bits to cut holes. Said it was built like a brick chithouse and was a great boat.

I asked him if he ever raced against Don, and he said he knew him well, but Don wasn't racing anymore when he got into it. Saw him on the docks alot. I asked him why he quit and he said two reasons. He knew Ben Kramer and did not like the way him and others were bringing drugs into the sport. He also said the boats got much faster in the early 80's and safety technology wasn't keeping up. He did not feel comfortable racing at the speeds they were at without better safety technology, so he retired.

Tidbart
10-06-2010, 01:41 PM

This is exactly why I only accept phone calls on thing that I sell on C-list. These aholes are phishing for responders, then they have your email address.
Good luck with the sale. Looks like a sweet ride.

Bob

Donziweasel
10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Bob, you will love this. As stated, his first email was titled "1979 Donzi Criterion 25,000-Jackson Hole". Then in the email he simply asks "what is your asking price?" WTF? So, I email him back and say 25,000.00. Here is his reply-

"Thanks for getting back to me on here,i will take it for $26,350 including PayPal surcharges since i am interested in the immediate purchase.I just moved to the Malaysia,where this is needed and i will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to me.Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pickup once i have paid you.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you

ASAP.

I hope to read from you soon."

Think I will have some fun with this scammer. I think I will email him some pics of a beat to crap Bayliner. I'll keep you posted.

cutwater
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
DW - I had some good fun leading one of these guys on once... Fishy ad, could tell it was a scam from the start, but just had to play along :)

Tidbart
10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Bob, you will love this. As stated, his first email was titled "1979 Donzi Criterion 25,000-Jackson Hole". Then in the email he simply asks "what is your asking price?" WTF? So, I email him back and say 25,000.00. Here is his reply-

"Thanks for getting back to me on here,i will take it for $26,350 including PayPal surcharges since i am interested in the immediate purchase.I just moved to the Malaysia,where this is needed and i will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to me.Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pickup once i have paid you.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you

ASAP.

I hope to read from you soon."

Think I will have some fun with this scammer. I think I will email him some pics of a beat to crap Bayliner. I'll keep you posted.

Can't wait.:popcorn:

Donziweasel
10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
DW - I had some good fun leading one of these guys on once... Fishy ad, could tell it was a scam from the start, but just had to play along

Can't wait.

John and Bob, I will keep ya updated. Looking foward to messing with this guy. "needs it in Malaysia" Yeah, right........ :)

Marlin275
10-06-2010, 05:44 PM

I advertise my condo for lease in Brooklyn every few years
and I get all the same too much money ideas.

All I ask them is
when does their plane land at Kennedy
and I will met them.

never another word . . .

Donziweasel
10-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Got and email back from my scammer and another fictitious email from paypal international. Here is just the text from both......

Hi,

Am happy to inform you that am done with the payment.I just completed the payment via PayPal and am sure by now you should have received the payment confirmation in (john@xxxxxxxxxxx.com) from PayPal.A total of $29,850 was sent,$26,350 for the merchandise and the extra $3,500 for my shipper's charges,which you will be sending to the address below via western union

Name: Sue Lim
Address: No. 73, Jalan PJS 9/18, Bandar Sunway
City: Petaling Jaya
State: Selangor
Zipcode: 46150

My shipper would be coming around to your area to have the merchandise picked up once you have sent the shipping charges fee to them,as i need you to let me know what time you want them to come and where (your address & phone # you can be reached on).
I will be waiting to hear from you once the money has been sent to my shipper.Thanks for the business.Nice doing business with you..Hope to deal with you more.Have a great week ahead.

Regards

James.

Dear john@XXXXXXXXXX.com,

You have received a PayPal Payment of $29,850.00 USD from James Foster (needyou688@gmail.com).

We've placed a temporary hold on the funds of this transaction
In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account.We advice you go to nearest Western Union Money Transfer Office,and send the excess sum $3,500.00 USD to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (MTR Services Sdn Bhd Logistics).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company: " MTR Services Sdn Bhd "

Address: Name:Sue Lim
Address:No. 73, Jalan PJS 9/18, Bandar Sunway
City:Petaling Jaya
State:Selangor
Zipcode:46150

Address Status: Confirmed

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. Should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:

(1) Sender's Name;
(2) Receiver's Name;
(3) MTCN;
(4) Amount Sent;
(5) Western Union Receipt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may contact PayPal customer service by Clicking Here or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information and include eithertransaction ID or reference number (PP307) quick recognition of this transaction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sincerely,

The PayPal Team

Alright, how do I mess with him some more?

Tidbart
10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Wow, that is funny. Imagine Paypal actually sending their customers to a competitor to send money. :bonk: They wouldn't be in business very long.

I would create a Western Union receipt with crayon, photograph it and email to James Foster. Then demand the release of the funds.:lookaroun:

Bob

Just Say N20
10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/blankreceipts.htm

Too bad the first one isn't better quality.

Just Say N20
10-07-2010, 09:26 AM
It amazes me that people fall for this stuff.

Let me see, someone I don't know says they have a bunch of money on hold and ready to be released into my account. All I have to do, is take $3,500 of MY MONEY, and send it to someone I also have never met, or even heard of, and THEN they will release the money to me.

I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

cutwater
10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Haha, I finally figured I would make it obvious that I was screwing with him, so I told the guy

"Sounds great, although it's going to be a few weeks before I can pay you. I recently received notice that I am the heir of a Nigerian prince, so that's exciting. But they told me it will be next month when I receive my inheritance, so please be patient."

He didn't seem to get the joke, however, and still emailed me back very excited that I was interested... Those Malaysians have no sense of humor ;)

BUIZILLA
10-07-2010, 11:35 AM
do you have a Federal Pententiary in your state?

give him that number and tell him to call you... you have a few details you need to discuss concerning shipping...

tell him your office is on the DR floor.... death row...

New Mexico might be better...

penbroke
10-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Send him a fictitious email from Western Union stating that the $3500 is waiiting for him to pick it up...

Frank

VetteLT193
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
if you haven't seen 419eater.com it is worth the read. Some of these guys have gone to great lengths with these scammers to the point of getting them to do art, wood carvings, etc. they got a couple guys to go into a warzone to "collect" money. crazy stories

Donziweasel
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Vette, 419eater is some funny chit. Love it!!!

I emailed the guy and told him I had sent the money as he requested. Going to fill out a fake western union reciept and send it to him. I also told him I needed someone killed in Malaysia. I offered him 500,000.00 to do it. Probably won't hear from him again. :)

Alright, we have covered scam artist, 1970's off shore racing, etc....

Does anyone want a fine Critter???????? :)

Donziweasel
10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
BTW, I sent him this email-

Sue Lim,
I have some other business in Malaysia. I sold a car through Craigslist and the guy sent me a fake PayPal message saying my funds were there but I had to sent the balance of 5500.00 for shipping western union before they would be released. Well, to make a long story short, he took my 5500.00 and I never heard from him again and got scammed out of my money. I found his address and a picture of him in Malaysia, where you live. I am a wealthy man and will offer you 500,000.00 to kill him for me.

Sincerely,
John Pearson

BUIZILLA
10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Sue Lim,
I have some other business in Malaysia. I sold a car through Craigslist and the guy sent me a fake PayPal message saying my funds were there but I had to sent the balance of 5500.00 for shipping western union before they would be released. Well, to make a long story short, he took my 5500.00 and I never heard from him again and got scammed out of my money. I found his address and a picture of him in Malaysia, where you live. I am a wealthy man and will offer you 500,000.00 to kill him for me.

Sincerely,
John Pearson you better hope Sue Lim isn't an undercover cop...

Ghost
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Sue Lim,

Sincerely,
John Pearson

LOL,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

Donziweasel
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Sue Lim is his "mayasian partner" and has also emailed me. He wanted to know the western union location where the money can be picked up and will be in charge of releasing my funds from paypal once the 3500.00 shipping fee arrives.

Plus, my name just became Jim from Miami.

DAULEY
10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
ghost
that was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donziweasel
10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
That was pretty funny Mike. :)

BUIZILLA
10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
:kingme: mexican midget.. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLL

Donziweasel
10-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Bump

Inferno
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Jackson, Tell Jeff you know me and tell him to fly in this weekend to Ft. Liquordale for the boat show. I'll be with his pal John Henry. I raced with Jeff for years (Inferno). What a small world.....

Donziweasel
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Stan, when I spoke with him two weeks ago, he said he was probably going to be there. I think he said he has a place on Islamarada. You may run into him yet!

Donzi Vol
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Ran into one of these SOB's over some football tickets. After he started talking about Western Union, I told him that I needed some proof that he wasn't a scammer. Never heard from him again.

Now...somebody buy weasel's critter!

lars
10-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Jackson, Tell Jeff you know me and tell him to fly in this weekend to Ft. Liquordale for the boat show. I'll be with his pal John Henry. I raced with Jeff for years (Inferno). What a small world.....

Always liked that boat Mr. Pike. Saw the video on the H.O.R.B.A. site and it's one impressive boat when it gets rough on the ocean. Great to see that it's getting restored.
Guess this was at the 1977 Plymouth 160. Photos by Charley McCarthy Jr.

P.S. Hope You don't mind the post John? It's easy to get carried away when it comes to classic Critters, Sutphens, scarabs etc. D.S.