PDA

View Full Version : 89 Donzi Z22 460 OMC NEEDS WINTERIZING TIPS.

89 Z22
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I am trying to winterize a boat that is new to me and I don't know much about it yet. This was my first season with it and it has a OMC 460 and my old boat had a Merc 2.5. They are a little different. I found a wing nutt type water valve on each side of engine block. However I can't seem to find manifold drain plugs? Also I am not totally sure which radiator hose to put the rv coolant in. THANKS FOR THE MUCH NEEDED HELP!!!

mrfixxall
10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I am trying to winterize a boat that is new to me and I don't know much about it yet. This was my first season with it and it has a OMC 460 and my old boat had a Merc 2.5. They are a little different. I found a wing nutt type water valve on each side of engine block. However I can't seem to find manifold drain plugs? Also I am not totally sure which radiator hose to put the rv coolant in. THANKS FOR THE MUCH NEEDED HELP!!!

on a 460 their are 2 drain plugs on each side of the block,starboard side its in front of the starter and port side i believe its in front of the motor mount...first make sure you can loosen them,put the boat on the hose and add stable to the fuel (either seafoam or the blue stable) i like to drain my tank when i do mine,my customers i just add a qt of stable to a gallon of gas and add accordingly to how much fuel is left in the tank..efi models i add 2 stroke oil to the fuel/water separator along with the stable..

run the engine and get it hot,turn it off and pull the plugs in the block and remove the lower hoses on the exhaust risers,this will drain the water out of them,when it stops dripping water reinstall the plugs ans hoses..make sure the water is draining from the block,you may have to probe the fitting with a pic or a small screwdriver to get sand or mud form the lake water you run in..

DONT USE RV ANTIFREEZE!!! it has a freezing point of 17* and will slush up..use low tox by Preston or sierra..you can also get the -100* antifreeze from west marine for around $10 a gallon and you will need around 5-6 gallons..get a 1'' piece of heater hose about 5' long from your local auto parts house, get a 6 gallon gas can, put the hose over the spout of the gas can and clamp it, get a 6'' 3/4 pipe nipple and put it over the other end and clamp it..install the ear muffs on the 3/4 pipe and slide the muffs over the water intake on the drive..

fill the gas can with the straight antifreeze and set it on something higher then the water intake on the drive so it can gravity feed into the water intake..pop the pressure relief on the gas can and start your engine and let the engine suck the antifreeze into the engine..

have a can of fogging oil handy and when the engine is sucking in the antifreeze start fogging the engine though the carburetor..

LKSD
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I did email you back yesterday. However I believe you already got your questions answered.:)

I am here if you need me.. As I said it is much easier for me by phone with most matters. J

89 Z22
10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jamie and yes I got my questions answered thanks to the nice people on here. I was just nervous and was trying to get the info as soon as I could. Thanks again guys.

Here is what I did with my boat so far.

1.) I put pink stabil in gas I guess not knowing better? I filled tank to top to avoid condensation etc.

2.) I hooked up muffs and ran for 5 mins and got motor hot and circulated stabil.

3.)fogged motor through carb until it died.

4.) let motor cool and then opened the engine block drains on both sides. Let all that drain from both sides.

5.) Then I did take the pink rv coolant and put in 3inch radiator hose by thermostat and went down to water pump on front of motor by belts. May drain and use what you are saying to. I cracked the engine block drains again and waited for some coolant to come out. I did not see coolant come out lower unit. Wondering if that was wrong hose or if I didnt put enough in? With your coolant do you mix with water to dilute it?

6.) I looked hi and low for manifold drains and found nothing. I did find the 2 smaller hoses by thermostat which one went to each manifold. Are those the hoses you said to dissconnect and let water drain from or can I put coolant down those also from top and be done?

7.) Also I crack lower unit oil drain to see if water came out and looked good.

8.) Anything I am missing? Is there anything else I need to address or change or do different next time etc? I would like to know the best process.

Thanks again for any input

I did email you back yesterday. However I believe you already got your questions answered.:)

I am here if you need me.. As I said it is much easier for me by phone with most matters. J

mrfixxall
10-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Jamie and yes I got my questions answered thanks to the nice people on here. I was just nervous and was trying to get the info as soon as I could. Thanks again guys.

Here is what I did with my boat so far.

1.) I put pink stabil in gas I guess not knowing better? I filled tank to top to avoid condensation etc.

2.) I hooked up muffs and ran for 5 mins and got motor hot and circulated stabil.

3.)fogged motor through carb until it died.

4.) let motor cool and then opened the engine block drains on both sides. Let all that drain from both sides.

5.) Then I did take the pink rv coolant and put in 3inch radiator hose by thermostat and went down to water pump on front of motor by belts. May drain and use what you are saying to. I cracked the engine block drains again and waited for some coolant to come out. I did not see coolant come out lower unit. Wondering if that was wrong hose or if I didnt put enough in? With your coolant do you mix with water to dilute it?

6.) I looked hi and low for manifold drains and found nothing. I did find the 2 smaller hoses by thermostat which one went to each manifold. Are those the hoses you said to dissconnect and let water drain from or can I put coolant down those also from top and be done?

7.) Also I crack lower unit oil drain to see if water came out and looked good.

8.) Anything I am missing? Is there anything else I need to address or change or do different next time etc? I would like to know the best process.

Thanks again for any input

also check the oil cooler for a plug...also the pink antifreeze will decay the engines gaskets theirs a chemical in the that dont agree with the head gaskets..o btw i just replace a motor in a 97 sea ray because he used pink rv antifreeze..the only way to get it all out is to flush it out with the hose..that antifreeze also crystallises in the engine and plugs the steam ans water ports in the head gaskets..

89 Z22
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
So would you say I am on the right track and all looks good except water serperator and coolant choice and oil cooler plug. Outside of that should I be fine? I will un plug manifold coolant hoses and drain also. Can I un hook hoses at thermostat and just pour coolant down them also instead of un hooking them? Thanks again

also check the oil cooler for a plug...also the pink antifreeze will decay the engines gaskets theirs a chemical in the that dont agree with the head gaskets..o btw i just replace a motor in a 97 sea ray because he used pink rv antifreeze..the only way to get it all out is to flush it out with the hose..that antifreeze also crystallises in the engine and plugs the steam ans water ports in the head gaskets..

Phil S
10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm no expert on this subject like Fixx and Jamie, but the way you have described doesn't sound like to me that any antifreeze is finding its way to the outdrive. I may be missing something in your process though.

The way Fixx describes pretty well ensures that your outdrive / water supply lines are protected. I think I also remember MOP (another expert on here) describing that he takes the added step of removing the thermostat completely while circulating the antifreeze through the block. I think the theory behind that is, even though you've run the engine up to temperature, as soon as the relatively "cold" antifreeze hits the t-stat, it will close up and prevent antifreeze from circulating through the block. Folks, please chime in to correct me if I'm steering wrong here.

I'm sure you realize this, but don't take any "penny-wise" shortcuts on this process.

With kind regards,
Phil S.

mrfixxall
10-06-2010, 12:17 AM
So would you say I am on the right track and all looks good except water serperator and coolant choice and oil cooler plug. Outside of that should I be fine? I will un plug manifold coolant hoses and drain also. Can I un hook hoses at thermostat and just pour coolant down them also instead of un hooking them? Thanks again

here is how i do my winterizing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDob8um5Xc