PDA

View Full Version : **1967** Donzi Ski Sporter aka Sweet Sixteen

mdiggs
10-01-2010, 08:54 PM
--SOLD--

I'm selling my family's vintage 1967 Donzi Ski Sporter (aka "sweet sixteen"). This is a classic boat in a classic red/white color scheme in excellent running condition and very good cosmetic condition. There are a few hairline cracks in the gel coat, scuffs on the rub rail, a nick on the rear deck and another on the bow from getting washed onto the trailer.
Price is $7700 and fairly firm.
Location is Portland Oregon
Currently winterized and in the showroom of NW Boat Center at Pier 99.
It's on consignment with them, but you can buy it for less directly from me.

THIS BOAT’S HISTORY: My father bought the boat new in 1968, and sold it to me 3 years ago, so it has been in the family all its life. It was used most summers from 1968-1990s on a lake in Maryland, and has never been used in salt water. It has many engine hours, and the engine hour gauge is not accurate (it says 44.5 hours!!). I'm sure it got 15 hours or more per week for 3 months a year for 20 years. However, my father swapped out the 302 for a 351 sometime in the 70s and also bought an 18ft 2+3 Donzi that he alternated with the Sweet 16 some summers. It was always well winterized and garaged.

It has newer seats made to match the original and a newer tonneau cover. I have the original cover and original seats if you want them (and the old seats are in remarkably good condition). I also have several spare propellers. If you are sentimental or a Donzi collector extraordinaire, I have the original sales receipt and 70s era Donzi literature, as well as extra Donzi decals.

BASIC STATS and RECENT WORK:
Engine: Ford 351 with a Holley carb
Outdrive: Volvo Penta
Hull # 16369

Trailer is original single i-beam with white walls and new, water-proof lights
Carb rebuilt in in 2007
Exhaust manifolds replaced in 2007 (original aluminum replaced with cast iron)
Fuel Filter assembly upgraded in 2007 and filter changed annually
New battery July 2010

Why am I selling it? I'm a Prius kind of gal. I was the only one in the family who wanted it when my father's mobility issues kept him from enjoying it three years ago. I towed it out to Oregon, had 3 good summers with it, but it's too fast for me, and we want this boat to go to a Donzi enthusiast who can run it like it wants to be run and show it like it wants to be shown.

Here is a video shot last month, showing what a wuss I am with speed, but also how great the engine sounds. In my defense, there were 8-10" wind waves and many shallow spots on the river, hence my 46mph max. Tachometer never went past 3500rpm. This HUGE thumbnail is clickable and worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, email me and I'll send it to you.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/mldiggs/Video/th_Sept2010QT30MB.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/mldiggs/Video/?action=view&current=Sept2010QT30MB.mp4)

Send me a message if you want to talk about it: diggsmiller@msn.com.

fogducker III
10-01-2010, 10:18 PM
THAT is a sweetie......!!!! Very good luck with the sale, I am sure you will be swamped with enquiries......

Personally I think your asking price is low....:)

PS.Be careful if "Tom" calls.....:wink::popcorn:

mdiggs
10-01-2010, 10:22 PM
THAT is a sweetie......!!!! Very good luck with the sale, I am sure you will be swamped with enquiries......

Personally I think your asking price is low....:)

PS.Be careful if "Tom" calls.....:wink::popcorn:
Uh oh, who is Tom? I think the price is too low also, but I started at $11k last year, dropped it to 8k late this summer, and I'm paying a thousand a year to store it indoors, so, if it takes two years to sell it at 11k, I'm down 2k anyway.

fogducker III
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Uh oh, who is Tom? I think the price is too low also, but I started at $11k last year, dropped it to 8k late this summer, and I'm paying a thousand a year to store it indoors, so, if it takes two years to sell it at 11k, I'm down 2k anyway.

It has been said before here.... "buyers" market......but that does not mean, give it away.....

Personally, tuck it away for the winter, stored properly and try again in the spring.....:wink:

Failing that, I can store it up here on Vancouver Island until you find a buyer......:lookaroun:

jl1962
10-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Great boat!
Great video!
Great PRICE!

There aren't many like this - trust me and not at this price.

Best of luck. :crossfing:

JL

mike o
10-02-2010, 08:15 AM
It has been said before here.... "buyers" market......but that does not mean, give it away.....

Personally, tuck it away for the winter, stored properly and try again in the spring.....:wink:

Failing that, I can store it up here on Vancouver Island until you find a buyer......:lookaroun:If your Son see it, "IT" will never leave.....:kingme:. Got "paper route".:kingme:

drm101
10-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I have to agree that it's a smoking deal. If I had a real job and could afford it, I'd buy it and drive out to Oregon to pick it up.

mdiggs
10-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Failing that, I can store it up here on Vancouver Island until you find a buyer......:lookaroun:

I'm sure there would only be a dozen or so more hours on it at the end of the year. On the other hand, put me up in your guest room for a week and give me a directions to Butchart Gardens, and you have deal :):)

mdiggs
10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I have to agree that it's a smoking deal. If I had a real job and could afford it, I'd buy it and drive out to Oregon to pick it up.

Had a guy in early September who was going to do just that (he is a registry member), but he got in a cycling accident, and his sister in law or someone contacted me to let me know he was in bad shape. I'm willing to hold it for him, but he still hasn't contacted me. I'm guessing it's the least of his worries right now. I'm sending healing vibes to him...nice guy.

fogducker III
10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm sure there would only be a dozen or so more hours on it at the end of the year. On the other hand, put me up in your guest room for a week and give me a directions to Butchart Gardens, and you have deal :):)

Done, Butchart is very close by, my nephew actually works there...we have also just finished the guest room....hope you like fresh eggs, wild salmon, fresh veggies, lamb and/or beef?.....:wink:

mdiggs
10-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Done, Butchart is very close by, my nephew actually works there...we have also just finished the guest room....hope you like fresh eggs, wild salmon, fresh veggies, lamb and/or beef?.....:wink:

I eat everything but raw oysters, so .... hmm.... why are you Donzi-less?

fogducker III
10-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I eat everything but raw oysters, so .... hmm.... why are you Donzi-less?

A gentleman turned up with a cheque and bought my 18C.......I am searching, yours looks very tempting but too small for what we need......

raw oysters, yuk...sushi is good though......:popcorn:

jstrahn
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Just wanted to say that is a beautiful boat and an excellent price. If I lived closer I would own it. Unfortunately, I'm all the way out in Iowa.

Best of luck on the sale. Someone is getting a gem.

mdiggs
10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Just wanted to say that is a beautiful boat and an excellent price. If I lived closer I would own it. Unfortunately, I'm all the way out in Iowa.

Best of luck on the sale. Someone is getting a gem.

Iowa is not THAT far ;-). But then again, I've driven back and forth across the country so many times for so many reasons that it seems like a great way to spend 4 days! I didn't bat an eye about flying from OR to MD to get it and drive it back to OR. The only time I batted an eye was when I looked under my dad's rust bucket of a truck I used to tow it back. Now that was scary.